Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1997 748 Mono
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months in to owning my 748 (1997) and a few minor things have popped up that don't deserve their own thread but I need to sort out. Would appreciate any assistance.

1. I bought a used pitbull stand that came with both pins - The D pin looks to be unused but doesn't fit all the way in to the hub. It seems like the small end of the D pin doesn't fit into the narrow inside part of the hub. Anyone seen this issue before?

2. Took belt covers off this weekend to check belts. Lower belt cover has a circle of yellow paint on it. I don't have service records for the bike's first 15k miles and I won't get into the rocker inspection until this winter - but I seem to recall reading somewhere that shops would mark the bike when certain of the known issues with these bikes were looked after. However, I could be dreaming because I can't find anything on it now.

3. One of the platic fuel QR fitting broke when I was removing the tank (glad I discovered it was failing I guess). I ordered the metal ones from CPC per this thread: Gas tank fuel line quick disconnect replacements / upgrade Any guidance or pitfalls to avoid on this replacement would be appreciated.

4. Replacing clutch fluid and the damn plastic plate that sits in the reservoir over the rubber piece sailed off into outer space. I've been running without it assuming that I'll need the whole reservoir assembly at this point as a replacement. Can I wait a bit to replace or does this piece matter to performance of the system?

TIA!

·
Registered
261 Posts
About 2 months in to owning my 748 (1997) and a few minor things have popped up that don't deserve their own thread but I need to sort out. Would appreciate any assistance.

1. I bought a used pitbull stand that came with both pins - The D pin looks to be unused but doesn't fit all the way in to the hub. It seems like the small end of the D pin doesn't fit into the narrow inside part of the hub. Anyone seen this issue before?

2. Took belt covers off this weekend to check belts. Lower belt cover has a circle of yellow paint on it. I don't have service records for the bike's first 15k miles and I won't get into the rocker inspection until this winter - but I seem to recall reading somewhere that shops would mark the bike when certain of the known issues with these bikes were looked after. However, I could be dreaming because I can't find anything on it now.

3. One of the platic fuel QR fitting broke when I was removing the tank (glad I discovered it was failing I guess). I ordered the metal ones from CPC per this thread: Gas tank fuel line quick disconnect replacements / upgrade Any guidance or pitfalls to avoid on this replacement would be appreciated.

4. Replacing clutch fluid and the damn plastic plate that sits in the reservoir over the rubber piece sailed off into outer space. I've been running without it assuming that I'll need the whole reservoir assembly at this point as a replacement. Can I wait a bit to replace or does this piece matter to performance of the system?

TIA!
1. The early 916 & 748 had an internal stepped rear axle. On the 916's, they sometimes twisted the spline so they reduced the ID of the axle on later models. Just take the insert to a machine shop & they will be able to turn down the the end of the axle furtherest from the stand
2. Pass
3. The replacement is straight forward. If you are replacing the fittings in the tank you may need to modify your spanner. Make sure you buy the fittings that have the valve in the fitting, both for the tank fitting & the fuel line fitting.
4. You should be able to buy a cap off eBay or a dealer. Not having the cap won't affect the performance of the brakes but you will likely start to get brake fluid on the tank etc. If you use some tap in the short term make sure that the reservoir can still get air into it so a vacuum doesn't develop in the reservoir. I would get a cap sooner rather than later though.

·
Registered
1997 748 Mono
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4. You should be able to buy a cap off eBay or a dealer. Not having the cap won't affect the performance of the brakes but you will likely start to get brake fluid on the tank etc. If you use some tap in the short term make sure that the reservoir can still get air into it so a vacuum doesn't develop in the reservoir. I would get a cap sooner rather than later though.
Sorry my post wasn't clear - it's not the cap I'm missing, it's the plastic piece that sits on top of the rubber bit and below the reservoir cap. I wouldn't run with an uncapped reservoir tank!

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you have the reservoir that has a screw on cap (not the ones with the 2 bolts), then there is no plastic piece between the cap & the rubber bellows. If you look at the under side of the cap you will see a recess moulded into the cap where the top section of the bellow fits into. I have had my 916 since '96 and never had an issue with the brake fluid leaking at that point

·
Registered
1997 748 Mono
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you try both sides of the swing arm with the stand? It is asymmetric so the holes are different sizes. The one on the shift lever side is a smaller diameter than the brake lever side. There are 2 different pins for the pit bull stand, one for each side.
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have both pins and am using the stand with the larger pin on the brake lever side no issue. The smaller diameter D pin should work on the drive side but seems like I'll need to have it turned a bit to fit.

·
Registered
541 Posts
While you are replacing the QR fuel fittings it may be worthwhile to swap the fuel sender nut to an aluminum one if it doesn't have one already. The plastic one will crack eventually and cause a fuel leak.

·
Registered
1997 748 Mono
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While you are replacing the QR fuel fittings it may be worthwhile to swap the fuel sender nut to an aluminum one if it doesn't have one already. The plastic one will crack eventually and cause a fuel leak.
Thanks, will take care of that as well. I also need to swap in new yellow charging wires between stator and rectifier. The connector is fried as I gather is quite common.

·
Registered
1997 748 Mono
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there is definitely a plastic piece under the cap. a brembo dealer should be able to supply it, or a dealer.

Brembo Cap & Bellows for Remote Clutch Reservoir -110.4308.80 - Gowanloch Ducati 110.4308.80

genuine - 89340241A
Ok, thanks that makes sense and glad to know I wasn't seeing things. I still have no idea where it could have gone but I'll get a new one. I think the remote clutch reservoir is the same as the rear brake reservoir on this bike, and the rear brake res has the plastic piece under the cap.

·
Registered
1997 748 Mono
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to rehash a topic that has been done quite a bit on this forum but I haven't been able to find a clear picture of what all the connections on the tank are for - the manuals aren't specific enough either unless I'm missing it. So in the picture below, I've replaced the quick release connectors with metal so those are all set. I've labeled A which goes to the charcoal canister per the writing on the tank. Is B supposed to be another line to the canister? If so, there is no line for that on the bike. Is C the overflow hose that snakes down and drains out toward the bottom of the fairing?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Sorry to rehash a topic that has been done quite a bit on this forum but I haven't been able to find a clear picture of what all the connections on the tank are for - the manuals aren't specific enough either unless I'm missing it. So in the picture below, I've replaced the quick release connectors with metal so those are all set. I've labeled A which goes to the charcoal canister per the writing on the tank. Is B supposed to be another line to the canister? If so, there is no line for that on the bike. Is C the overflow hose that snakes down and drains out toward the bottom of the fairing?
Regarding 'A' and 'B', one is the overflow the other is the breather, both from the filler cap.

On my bike (with no emissions cannister) the two are linked with a 'Y' adaptor and then a hose runs out the bottom of the fairing

'C' is the fuel pressure regulator and should be left open.

·
Registered
1997 748 Mono
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, thanks that's very helpful. The Haynes manual says disconnect from the T piece which confused me because that doesn't exist on my bike. I suppose that I am supposed to run A to the canister and B to the drain hose. Thanks for clarifying that C stays open.

And I really appreciate you whipping your tank off so quick to get me a picture :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts