Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here have experience getting a tune from Minneapolis Ducati? I will be installing a K&N air filter with a LV cat delete, and wanted them to retune for the mods/smooth it out overall. Now from my readings on here they can just reflash the stock ECU, but is there anything I should ask them to do that they might not think to about?

Also if anyone else has dealt with them and tunning, please post your opinions.

·
Registered
938 Posts
In their current incarnation or previous incarnations they have tuned 4 bikes for me. What they have impressed on me and I believe makes a tremendous amount of sense is to tune a bike, only when it is in proper operating condition. This is particularly important for tuning Ducati twins, since, unlike an inline 4 there is more potential for the cylinders to run differently from each other since the cams are not common between cylinders.

If I'm really particular, I bring them bikes to tune when they need a valve adjustment, throttle body sync and new plugs, and have them degree the cams as part of the service. This ensures that the cams are optimally timed and that cam timing is consistent between cylinders and both cylinders are running as well as they can before the tune.

Since the preceding is quite a bit more expensive than just getting a tune, they may or may not mention this as being the "best" thing to do, but I usually discuss it with them whenever I've had them do a tune, either indicating upfront that this is what I want done, or pre-authorizing the work and leaving it up to them to decide whether it is worth doing, or simply saying, put new plugs in it, sync the carbs or throttle bodies and tune it, for tunes where I'm not interested in getting the last iota in running quality and power.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike currently has less than 200 miles on it, so it should be in perfect running condition. I am looking to tune the bike with the airfilter and LV cat delete just to make sure the bike is interacting well with the new parts, and smooth things out overall. This may be something I do not need to do, and if so please let me know. I am currently under the impression that tunning these bikes makes a huge difference in how well they run. I'm not looking to hunt for every ounce of power I can attain, just looking to smooth out the power band as I have read that it is a must on here.

·
Registered
938 Posts
They are likely going to recommend that you wait till the bike is broken in.

Can't speak specifically to the 796 engine, but a freeing flowing air filter and removal of the cat restriction is going to make the motor flow more air. These motors are lean to begin with to meet EPA standards, so more air is going to make your bike even leaner. A remapping is going to help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
MPLS Ducati

Anyone on here have experience getting a tune from Minneapolis Ducati? I will be installing a K&N air filter with a LV cat delete, and wanted them to retune for the mods/smooth it out overall. Now from my readings on here they can just reflash the stock ECU, but is there anything I should ask them to do that they might not think to about?

Also if anyone else has dealt with them and tunning, please post your opinions.
Ghost,
Never had a tune there but several other minor things like sproket switch and
sliders installed. Thier sales and service staff is outstanding.They go the extra mile
in the service department.When I went in for a 14 tooth sprocket change I called in the AM and asked if I could get it in in the afternoon.They said sure.When I pulled up to the back door there was a service tech rolling my scoot in while I was still taking my helmet off.It was done and my wrench was turned off to boot in
1/2 hour. While I was waiting I overheard other service techs on the phone and
all coustomers were treated with respect. They are dialed on service and I would not worry for a moment. This is the kind of service level that keeps coustomers coming back.
BTW They are the only dealer that put forth the effort to locate a black 2011 Tard
and have it shipped in from Omaha. The other two Duc dealers in town showed little interest in Making a sale.
H11

1 - 5 of 5 Posts