Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 900/944 is pretty much track only now (story later :cry:). The YB16A1-A2 is a beast. I'm going to put a lighter AGM in there. It's all pretty much a function of size, the smaller the batter the less output. Does anybody know the min Capacity in aH needed to turn one of these over? That will dictate how small I can go.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
What is your compression ratio ? Definitely put a battery cable upgrade on it.
Though I’m not a Lithium battery fan , due mainly to price, it seems like track bikes are one application where it might make sense.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know compression off the top of my head (no pun intended lol). But takes a pretty fresh lead acid battery to fire it up. I like your cable idea and going to a Lithium. Maybe a new R/R (taking upgrade recommendations). While I'm in there ignition wires for sure.Plugs are an annual refresh usually...hmm...what else??

·
Excel Addict
5,245 Posts
For starting purposes it is the CCA rating that you need to look for.
Cold Cranking Amps. Bigger capacity bikes and high compression need more CCA.
Just read the first two headings as it is a car related battery selector.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link Punch.

I'm going to try and not make this "another battery" thread. Seen too many of those (and the oil thread) over the years for both cars and bikes. Still can't remember crap so I ask the same question more than once! :rolleyes:

Since 900 is pretty much relegated to the track or occasion street rides I don't need a whole lot. Lightest one I can get that will turn it over will do. Likely going to do a lithium.

·
Excel Addict
5,245 Posts
Yep - there are many threads on batteries, same with oil, fuel, tyres ad infinitum!
I am not going there - happy with my Yuasa lead acid.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, not track only, lets say track mostly. You mean get rid of the solenoid, right? What kind of amperage goes thru that?

if it's track only put a ytz7s in it and fit some direct leads with an anderson connector and big switch for the starter.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
If it is street at all, stick to the recommended. I have the slightly lighter AGM equivalent to YB16A1 and its given no problems unlike the damm Lithium ones which I save for track days only (I bring two fully charged )

The weight difference between Lithium and the lead/acid types can be made up by cutting out soda pop, eating right and exercising two weeks before a track day. Oh, and a good shit that morning, too. Modern lead acid batteries are made cheaply, 1/4 less heavy lead inside so they don't last as long nor weigh as much as they did originally. What? 6lbs the difference these days?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My weight fluctuates +/- 3lbs and I train pretty hard so my BF% is about as good as it's going to get for being 60+ years old. However, the older I get the faster I was, so shaving a few lbs off the battery won't likely improve my laps times. But since I need a new battery I thought I trick it out (even tho you can't see it) ;)

If it is street at all, stick to the recommended. I have the slightly lighter AGM equivalent to YB16A1 and its given no problems unlike the damm Lithium ones which I save for track days only (I bring two fully charged )

The weight difference between Lithium and the lead/acid types can be made up by cutting out soda pop, eating right and exercising two weeks before a track day. Oh, and a good shit that morning, too. Modern lead acid batteries are made cheaply, 1/4 less heavy lead inside so they don't last as long nor weigh as much as they did originally. What? 6lbs the difference these days?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Just remember --7 lbs is 1 HP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts