Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '12 has 80,000+ miles on her and has started drinking oil....about 8-10 ozs/5000 miles. At the rate I ride, by Sept '19, it'll be pretty close to the magic '100,000' mark. Which begs a few questions:
1) Ducati 'might' have an odometer fix by the time I reach 99999....any opinions/comments on this issue?
2) rebuild--if the oil consumption starts getting excessive, I'd probably rebuild the top end....again, any opinions/comments?
3) new bike: a serious consideration and the only bike I'd look at, besides a new MTS would be a 1290 GT, but they're so ugly!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Good job.

Before you go to a full top end job, start with checking the valve guide seals. They're just little rubber bits, and they do wear. I generally changed them due to oil consumption about every 50K miles. The next thing to check might be piston rings. My original set was replaced at 122K, and I was about due for a third set at 265K.

Ducati doesn't generally consider the oil usage to be excessive until you're using a quart every 1000 miles, so you've got a ways to go yet. With good oil, and decent maintenance, these engines can last pretty much forever. (My bike was a '93 M900; 2v aircooled.)

PhilB

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Good to know. I did the valves at 74,000 and it looks like changing the seals would be easy.
Oil: after numerous UOA's, I've settled on Amsoil for the last several years. The UOA's have been excellent.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Ducati wont "fix" the odometer thing. It just is.

I'm on a SDGT now, and really miss my Multistrada. I'd be lying if I said I wasnt rhinking about going back. Great motor, but the suspension and electronics are subpar.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Out of curiosity how did you break in the motor, only for the debate as to follow manufactures label or ride it like you stole it theory.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Ducati wont "fix" the odometer thing. It just is.

I'm on a SDGT now, and really miss my Multistrada. I'd be lying if I said I wasnt rhinking about going back. Great motor, but the suspension and electronics are subpar.
My 2010 Multi (Ohlins) has far superior suspension compared to the GT, but it is longer travel suspension. My GT performs best in Sports suspension. Short wheel base with soft suspension makes for a loose handling bike in the other modes when pushed. the Multi can be pushed in sports or Touring modes quite hard, The GT is more nimble and feels a lot lighter, especially moving them around by hand. But when i ride with my mates on 1299Ss, i take the GT, it deceptively fast. That motor is its best point.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
My 2010 Multi (Ohlins) has far superior suspension compared to the GT, but it is longer travel suspension. My GT performs best in Sports suspension. Short wheel base with soft suspension makes for a loose handling bike in the other modes when pushed. the Multi can be pushed in sports or Touring modes quite hard, The GT is more nimble and feels a lot lighter, especially moving them around by hand. But when i ride with my mates on 1299Ss, i take the GT, it deceptively fast. That motor is its best point.
I pretty much agree with all of that.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Break In: kept it under 5000 for the first 600 miles, because that's what I was told to do. After that.....

1290 GT: I've talked to two guys ridding them, but their previous bikes were a Versy's & V-Stom.....not exactly a great comparo.

My bike has only a few issues: grip heaters quit at ~30,000 & the gear shift return spring broke at ~60,000 (miles). I replaced the fuel sensor yesterday and the new one doesnt work! My key fob is starting to have issues, even though the battery is new. Other then that.....

·
Registered
159 Posts
After 99999 miles will the resettable trip odometers still work?
I can live with one trip meter for fuel level and the second one for oil life, belts, valve adjustments. I certainly wouldn't want to reward Ducati by buying expensive parts because they designed in a certain failure to odometer operation. I'm still a year off from having the answer to my question by my own experience. I'm at 85000 now.

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
After 99999 miles will the resettable trip odometers still work?
I can live with one trip meter for fuel level and the second one for oil life, belts, valve adjustments.
Sounds like a great plan...until the battery dies or has to be disconnected and they both reset to zero.

I think you’d have to keep really good records, know what the ending mileage is each time you shut the bike off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts