Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In cycleworlds long term update of the Hypermotard, they claimed at 10,000 miles the chain and sprockets needed to be replaced. This seems like some pretty low miles to need to replace the chain and sprockets. I get the impression Cycleword writers probably flog the crap out of the bikes and probably do next to nothing for maintainance. All my previous bikes except one were belt drive and they would last forever. My friend has 100k on his Harley and has the same belt from new. The one bike I had with chain and sprockets I only put 10k miles on it before I sold it and they seemed to be in good shape.
So I am just wondering what one should expect for chain and sprocket longevity?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
thats prob true for the stock chain and sprockets,on the other hand a good did,regina,renthall,etc..should get 30,000 or more depending on your riding style.i changed to quick change carrier,DID oring 520 conv,and mpl hard annodized sprockets along with titanium hardware bit of an overkill but why not.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Stock is a 525. Mine is at 10k now and looks fine. Required two adjustments when new, and gets wiped cleaned and lubed every 500 miles or so.

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
Stock chain DID 525 HV2 @ 104 rollers, 52 links. Mine kinked up early but ran it until 16k miles. I fought it to keep it lubed for the last 3-4 thousand, could have replaced it then. I'm running the stock sprockets and a new DID 525VM2 upgrade chain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ST3s will be my next bike and it will have a Pro-Oiler in use. The current K75s has no use for one...lol

Google Pro-Oiler. When used, 60k miles on a chain drive is for real.

I have no intere$t in Pro-Oiler... There are others that are cheaper but not better. IMHO

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Mine started throwing o-rings at 2500 miles. I imagine it would keep running, but I will probably dump it soon since I have about 5000k on it now. Don't want it eating my case.

Out!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Really? What do you lube it with?

I clean mine with WD40 or 6N1, and lube with chain wax. Havn't needed an adjustment in thousands of miles.

BTW, DesmoTimes makes a nice steel case saver for the DS1100 motor.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I use Motorex cleaner and lube. I also hit it with Simple Green during washes. I really haven't had to tighten it much, I think just twice.

I am going to start using nothing but WD40. My buddy uses it exclusively and his chain is always clean and the bike and rear wheel don't get messy. He runs hard and never seems to be replacing chains any sooner than normal. In my younger days, I always used WD or straight 30W oil on my offroad stuff.

Out!

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I am going to start using nothing but WD40. My buddy uses it exclusively and his chain is always clean and the bike and rear wheel don't get messy. He runs hard and never seems to be replacing chains any sooner than normal. In my younger days, I always used WD or straight 30W oil on my offroad stuff.

Out!
+1

WD40 cleaning of the chain (and the rims) on the rear stand just after every ride, it takes only 5mns. No chaian lube on any of my two bikes for years.
Read this famous thread from our neighbor Andy, and he is a really good rider, wheelies all the time.
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17792

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never thought of using WD40 to clean the chain. I figured it would keep the chain wax from clinging. I have used WD40 for breaking down grime on other things. I will have to give it a try. I clean and lube using motrex chain wax every 500ish miles.
Most bikes I see have chains that are bone dry with rollers that are polished and the sides of the chains are rusty. I grimace when I see this. Sorry I have an issue with poor bike maintenance.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If your going to wash the bike, straight Simple Green and a nylon brush does a good job of stripping old chain wax and grime off the chain. I follow the wash/rinse with WD40 to displace water. Later before the next ride I lube with chain wax and wipe the excess off with a rag before riding. The pins/bushings on an o-ring chain are sealed, but the ID of the rollers to the OD of those bushings are not. This is where most of the lube goes on an o-ring chain. Does it make a difference? Maybe not, but look at the play in the rollers on an old chain vs a new one.

AXE must have been delt a bad chain, I've been scrubbing dirt bike chains of all brands and lubing them after every ride and never loose o-rings, even in the mud here in the northeast.

·
Registered
520 Posts
A lot of people like WD-40 http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=28137

Seems to work and I can see the point of just keeping the outside sprockets and rollers/links clean. The wax/oil/lube on there will allow grit and dirt to stay. The inside should be sealed unless of course you're loosing o-rings...

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I swear by the WD-40 method. I used it on my last R1 and nothing else. That bike did drag racing, trackdays, and lots and lots of wheelies and still had the original chain on it with 20,000 miles on it when I sold it. It still didn't need a chain.

I only had to adjust it twice in those miles aside from the additional time when I went to a larger (aluminum) rear sprocket. That was in excellent shape too with about 12,000 miles on it.

That's all I'll use.

Dave

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Yeah, the WD40 argument rages on many forums with both lovers and haters. The FZ1 forum has some great debates. :think: I think the debate is over for me. I used the hell out of it when I was young without any issues. I will be switching back for price, ease of use, and effectiveness. :cool:

Out!

·
Registered
1 Posts
In cycleworlds long term update of the Hypermotard, they claimed at 10,000 miles the chain and sprockets needed to be replaced. This seems like some pretty low miles to need to replace the chain and sprockets. I get the impression Cycleword writers probably flog the crap out of the bikes and probably do next to nothing for maintainance. All my previous bikes except one were belt drive and they would last forever. My friend has 100k on his Harley and has the same belt from new. The one bike I had with chain and sprockets I only put 10k miles on it before I sold it and they seemed to be in good shape.
So I am just wondering what one should expect for chain and sprocket longevity?

Hi all, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went out and did the ol' scrub and lube to the chain and this time I found a few orings coming out and one link kinking. Shot some WD on the thing and then hosed it down with chain wax and called it good. Pretty sad that the chain is loosing orings at less than 4k miles. Warranty?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts