Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of replacing my stock Mikuni Cv38 carbs with a flatslide alternative for my 94 M900 . Has anyone here tryed out the Mikuni Tdmr flatslides , i will be happy for input regarding Tdmr issues ? I live in North of Norway (cold ) , and the lack of choke function on the Keihin Fcrs worries me with possible cold starting problems..

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Im thinking of replacing my stock Mikuni Cv38 carbs with a flatslide alternative for my 94 M900 . Has anyone here tryed out the Mikuni Tdmr flatslides , i will be happy for input regarding Tdmr issues ? I live in North of Norway (cold ) , and the lack of choke function on the Keihin Fcrs worries me with possible cold starting problems..
You might look at the Mikuni HSR 42. It has an enrichment circuit instead of a choke, and an accelerator pump that's screw adjustable. It was originally designed to replace the CVK carbs on Harleys, so it's shorter than usual. Try Ebay. I used one on an MZ, and it worked out really well.

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
In the past I used TM40 om my KTM, pretty good carb but a bit sticky, you can find those cheap as some Harleys had them as Original Equipment, HD number is HS40, in every way identical to TM40, I have 2 of them, Haaleys only come with one for both cylinders

Currently use TMR 42, actually HSR 42, got it at the Haaley swap for $100, great carb, best feature is the roller bearings on the slide (that's what the "R" in TMR or HSR stands for) One issue that it may be too big, it works fine on my 625cc thumper but if you gonna use it on a 900cc motor that's only 450cc per carb, Harleys use single 42mm for 1200cc motor, granted they redline at same RPM as big block Chevy :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mikuni Tdmr40 Carb for M900 ?

Im thinking of replacing my stock Mikuni Cv38 carbs with a flatslide alternative for my 94 M900 . Has anyone here tryed out the Mikuni Tdmr flatslides ( Ducati Aprilia Kämna - Tuning-Parts Catalog ) , i will be happy for input regarding Tdmr issues ? I live in North of Norway (cold ) , and the lack of choke function on the Keihin Fcrs worries me with possible cold starting problems..

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have the TDMR's and I live in Finland.

The choke works very well, there is no starting issues even in sub-zero temperatures. The throttle response is really good. They also make a nice whistling sound with certain throttle openings.

The pilot circuit was very lean with the default settings, maybe because of German TUV regulations or then the jetting is for the small valve head on 96-97 models? The default needle and main jet (135) seem to be spot on.
I have stock air filter, airbox and exhaust and a wideband lambda installed.

I had an annoying lean stumble just off idle on 2000rpm slight acceleration (AFR went to 18), which didn't respond to larger pilot jet sizes, but I got rid of it with a smaller (0,5mm) pilot air jet and 27,5 pilot jet, which is a bit too rich (AFR 11,5 on slight acceleration, about 13 on idle and cruising) but works sweet.

I have more jets on order, the 0,5mm pilot air jet is obviously too small but I only had 0,5mm and 1mm drills and had to drill it from a #0 jet because no-one has them on stock in Finland.

My friend has bought a set of 41mm FCR's for his 900ss. I will post a comparison when I have tried them both.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up buying the FCR41 kit and the Exactfit coils from California Cycleworks instead of the Mikunis . The FCRs is recommended in all the Ducati sources i have found ,info about the Mikunis was hard to find on web . I have not installed the FCRs yet , but it will be done in a couple of days . Hoping i will manage with no choke here in the cold , and that the jeting / setup from CC is ok (kn pods -no airbox ) !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts