Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 900ss FE bike rebuild attempt... The bike sat for 15+ years, probably more. I finally had some time to start working on the bike. Figured I'd rebuild the carbs first. I was able to remove all brass screws with out trouble. But when I took the float bowl cover off this is what I found... It turns to powder when you touch it. Question is, Is this carburetor worth trying to rebuild?

·
Registered
164 Posts
probably functional pending some cleanup work, inspection and likely some parts replacement

·
Registered
235 Posts
You can always try... Nothing more to loose than a few hours.

To clean all the jets and all things brass inside a carb I had great results with dropping these parts in hot (nearly boiling) water with a good splash of liquid copper cleaner. It smells terrible but as long as you don't inhale the fumes there's not really an health issue I think. Work outside.
Drop the pieces in the water/copper cleaner mixture, shake well for a few minutes and rince afterwards. I had jets which had turned completely black and they came out shining like new. Even the inside of the jets. You may need to repeat this procedure as your jets look really clogged up. You might wanna try opening the jets first with a fine needle or thin wire. I used a few threads from a battery connecting cable, lots of fine wires in there and you can take just as many as you need. On top of that, they're made of copper so little risk of scratching the inside of the jets.

Rubber parts: seals and O-rings; don't try to save them, just buy new ones.

Floats: drop them in water with a few drops of soap and keep them submerged overnight. Check for air-bubbles and the next morning check for water inside the floats. I solid; they can be re-used after cleaning with some water and soap.

For the other parts of the carb I would suggest sonic cleaning. If you dissassemble the carb yourself sonic cleaning isn't that expensive. Just make sure to dissassemble them completely!

Maybe the carbs are too far gone but if that's the case, you'll know they are and you'll never have to ask yourself: "Maybe I should have..."
If you manage to get the carbs back in good working condition, the satisfaction will be the nicest part of the whole project.

Another option is a rebuild kit for these carbs. Or buy all seals and jets seperately. Ask Google.

If you decide to go for replacing the carbs; make shure you get the right ones! The carbs are essentially the same but there may be other jets inside a 600cc carb then in a 900cc carb.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
There are a few places you can order a complete rebuild kit--Thats what I would suggest, but only after you have them completely apart to inspect and know what is mandatory --all O-Rings at the very least. Those look nasty mate, I'm not sure if I have ever seen a set of carbs that nasty. -But as was said take them apart and clean as well as you can and see what you are left with. --Or find another set that are clean & working, Try Nick @ used Ducati parts in Florida 407-347-3498 may be no more $$ then if you rebuild those

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Start with the fuel screws , if they are seized scrap them if they come out I would rebuild them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts