Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I would never be without a modern bike, and I wish you good luck with your Enduro. Ducati sure know how to engineer fun into their bikes, while Honda never seemed to have got the message.

Ah, no louvres, thanks for that! Your Hailwood is a really tidy example. Yes, I see your snug-fitting front 'guard. And Ohlins rear shocks – ooh!

·
Registered
646 Posts
The frame is '82 or before and the front mudguard is possibly off a pantah but more likely aftermarket. The engine may not have started on a MHR but the carbs probably did? That happened a little bit back in the day where big end failures were very expensive to fix.

My '83 has a square slot design seat fixture.

·
Registered
141 Posts
090188 is an odd frame number for a MHR as they start with a 90xxxx; 900SS bikes around 80/81 start 09xxxx. For example, frame 090156 is an 1980 SS. DM860SS 090100 is supposed to be the first 1981 900SS. The DM900R suffix goes with MHRs but not until 901500 so it is an odd prefix for your frame number. My frame, a very late 80/early 81 is DM900SS 901057. Confusing. What's the engine number? One of the pics looks like it has a red chain guard, another 83 feature.

·
Registered
646 Posts
According to Faloon's reference. Fairly sure from those numbers that it is a '82 900ss frame (very late). This can happen, '83-4 they just used whatever they had, quality reflected that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Rick and Rossco - sorry for the late reply. I still don't get notified about new posts. Thank you for the low down on the date and originality. Interesting that the mudguard could be a Pantah item. It's a really nice bike to ride. Shame it had to be on dampish roads in the cold. All these old twins are great to ride if they are sorted, which this one is now. I will look for the engine number when I get sight of the bike again, which may not be for a while.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts