Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys – just wondered if any of you MHR owners have some pics of how the stock seat is fixed to the seat/tail unit? I can't find any pics of the seat fixings on the 'Net.

It appears the seat has been reupholstered but with no provision for the rear seat lock or fixing, whatever that looks like. Is it a Dzus type of fastener?

Also, the front underside of the seat pan shows that there should be a lug or clip that locates in the rectangular hole in the seat/tail unit. I would like to know what it looks like. I should be able to fabricate something that will secure the seat if I can't get the stock parts.

I would be grateful for any pics or descriptions.

MHR seat fixing front.jpg
MHR seat fixing rear.jpg

·
Registered
351 Posts
What year is your bike? I have an '86 Mille that is stock and is relatively easy to check. Perhaps someone else knows if they all were the same.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year is your bike? I have an '86 Mille that is stock and is relatively easy to check. Perhaps someone else knows if they all were the same.
Hi Casor - Thanks for the reply. It belongs to a friend and I am not sure but I think 1980/81. I think there were some differences between early and late models but I don't know what the details are.

I have since found an exploded parts diagram from Back to Classics for the Mille MHR. I cannot make out the detail but it appears there is an L-shaped clip at the front that screws into the seat base and a special screw at the rear that appears to screw into the rear of the seat / tail unit. I see that the clip is not available but I can fab something up, and I would have to fit a captive nut into the damaged seat base somehow, to retain the clip.

At the rear of yours, does the special screw go into a captive nut in the tail unit?

No harm if you could take some pics, at your convenience, even if yours is a later model.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Hi Dave,

I think that you are right, the front secures by an 'L' bracket that goes into the hole in the front and the rear by a captive nut, that looks on yours to have flown captivity. It should not be too difficult to fix in a new nut using araldite or some sort of chemical metal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Dave,

I think that you are right, the front secures by an 'L' bracket that goes into the hole in the front and the rear by a captive nut, that looks on yours to have flown captivity. It should not be too difficult to fix in a new nut using araldite or some sort of chemical metal.
Duccout - thanks for that. So there must be a hole in the rear of the seat, where it rests on the ledge of the tail unit? The screw must go through a hole in the seat to meet the (originally) captive nut. The upholstery must be covering the original hole. Naturally, I need to be careful not to damage a recently upholstered original seat, which is why I'm asking the obvious!

It should be easy to make a captive nut. The exploded parts diagram in the Back to Classics website shows a slotted M6 screw to fasten the rear of the seat. It looks similar to the side panel screws.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what puzzled me initially – I now see that the rear seat hump cover had a fibreglass repair and was re-painted, with no hole for the M6 screw, and the upholstery covered the hole in the seat, which I marked with yellow marker. The little witness mark on the underside of the seat hump cover probably shows the position of the screw hole.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, there are two 8mm studs and nyloc nuts that hold down the seat / tail unit to the frame. I have fabricated a locating clip for the front of the seat and improvised a fixing for the rear. I designed it so that when you tighten the special screw on the seat hump, it shouldn't bow the fibreglass, which is why it had to be repaired in the first place.

The seat is now secure. I will post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here's my 81 seat. The seat base is fixed to the frame by sliding two tubes attached to the front of the base into two spikes sticking out on the frame then dropping it down onto two studs sticking up from the frame and attaching washers and nuts. The seat has a prong sticking out at the front that locates into a rubber grommet on the base then there are two side and one top bolt to lock it on the base. I rarely take the single-seat cover off; it's held in place by the same three shiny chrome bolts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The parts drawings show the Mk1 seat to have the rectangular hole and the Mk2 and 3 to have the spike and grommet. Note that my seat is a hybrid; it's got the curves of the Mk1 without the indents for the side panels but has the spike and grommet. My bike was registered in March 81 so was likely built late 80; it also originally had a one piece fairing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rick - thanks so much for going to the effort to post the photos. I don't know why, but I ticked the box marked email notification and didn't get an email so I've just come across this now. My apologies for the late reply!

Your seat is definitely different at the front, with the pin and grommet.

I've been busy making some fixings and I will post photos of my repair in the following post.

Thanks again, Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some pics of the seat fixings I made.

The rear fixing was made from SS hex bar threaded M6 and with an M6 stud at the bottom to secure the fixing to the tail unit.

Unbelievable, but I found the front L clip lying just above the swinging arm. It had fallen off the seat pan but had miraculously not been lost out on the road. I made a plate riveted to the seat pan with a bolt fitted underside. Since the original mounting for the L clip was in the groove down the middle of the seat pan, the fabricated plate was about 8mm too low and the clip was loose in its groove in the rectangular seat base. I made a spacer so the clip now fits snugly into the seat base. I also had to re-drill the hole in the seat bum stop cover for the bolt that holds down the bum stop to the tail unit.

I believe this should be a practical repair for MHR owners in case the original parts are no longer available or too expensive. Even though, in the end, I didn't have to make the L clip for the front, it would not be too difficult to make.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Interesting to note that the seat base has the indented sides and the more angular shape for the side panels plus lugs for the side panel bolts and the centre stand lifting handle. These indicate that it's a later 81 or 82. The mk1 seat-style rectangular hole of the seat may have been made later. Any pics of the whole bike?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Casor– thanks for the pics. The fixings at the front look similar: the same rectangular hole in the seat / tail base and a similar clip fixed to the seat pan.
Rick– you asked for a pic of the bike. Can you date the bike from this?

·
Registered
114 Posts
An interesting bike. It looks like an 83 (black mudguards, carb chokes, decals) but has the electric start which I'm pretty sure didn't come until 84; it's possible that the e-start was added to an 83 or that this was an overlap 83/84. Does it have a kick start too? Mods: rear shocks (I think), rear blinky bar, mirrors, "900" stickers on tank and little "Ducati" stickers at the back. Side panels are missing but would have been on this bike. The ignition pickup cable is not black which may indicate that the cable has been repaired or maybe the pups have been changed for a more modern system. Engine and frame numbers are the best way to track age; can you provide these? The position of the front mudguard looks too high; there are two sets of bolt holes and I think the wrong ones have been used; makes it look odd. I see the lower, lower fairing brackets but not the upper ones; do you have the fairing and brackets? Don't put the lower on without all four brackets; they will break. I have a zillion pics of my 81 so if there is anything specific you'd like to ask about or see, just ask.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rick - I will send you frame and engine data, and thanks for the detail. The owner, a friend of mine, got the bike only recently. The front mudguard may well be too high. Yes, it has a kickstart. Yes, the fairing upper brackets are deliberately missing. Having removed the tank to do the valve clearances, I wanted to do a test spin without the fairing bottom and needed to secure the tank. It feels really nice to ride. Plenty of poke for its age and comfortable too. It is also relatively unmolested. Someone has taken the clutch cover off in the past so there may well be an after-market system in there (good). The owner has got unpainted side panels. I would not be surprised if originals are unobtainable now. Louvres or no louvres in the side panels for that year?

Yes, still have the Multistrada. A brilliant bike, probably the best bike I've ever had!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts