Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a chance we will see Spies as a wild card in a GP race this year? I'm not too up on the rules, for this to happen dose he have to replace another rider?

·
9,757 Posts
Is there a chance we will see Spies as a wild card in a GP race this year? I'm not too up on the rules, for this to happen dose he have to replace another rider?
It is possible, but unlikely.

It depends on his schedule (which largely conflicts with the GP schedule) and his contractual obligations to Yamaha (which may have a clause forbidding him from partaking in dangerous activities outside of racing the R1).

Also, I don't think he'd be able to ride anything but a factory Yamaha in GP, which would mean replacing Rossi or Lorenzhole. That said, if Yamaha introduced Spies as a wildcard on the factory GP bike and he did well on it, it'd give Yamaha leverage in their next round of contract negotiations assuming Spies' was up for grabs as well.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
There might be a chance at Valencia because the WSBK season would be over. They could prepare an extra bike for him for a one-off ride. I personally think he is already set-up to go to GP's next year on board a Yamaha. If they where smart (both Yamaha and Spies) they would have structured the contract so that they and he had the first option for GP's. The runor mill at Miller had the Suzuki GP guys talking to Ben about a ride for next year. I don't see that happening. The Yamaha on the other hand is a competative bike and is not that big of a leap from the superbike he is riding right now. It would be a very natural progression to move to the 800cc Gp bike from the 990cc M-1 derived R1.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I doubt he would ride as a wild card whilst he has a numerical chance of winning the superbike championship. Valencia could be a possibility I guess. I don't think it makes any sense to put a rookie World Superbike rider onto a GP bike after just one season unless they want him to fail dismally

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
I doubt he would ride as a wild card whilst he has a numerical chance of winning the superbike championship. Valencia could be a possibility I guess. I don't think it makes any sense to put a rookie World Superbike rider onto a GP bike after just one season unless they want him to fail dismally
Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Did you not see how he did on the Suzuki last year? He may not be as dominant on a MotoGP bike but even on a crap bike he wouldn't fail dismally.

Anyway - I think no way he'll ride one this year with the WSB championship on the line like it is. He's got a job to do and won't play with one off rides until he's got a WSB number one plate for his team and himself.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
On Windbag...or WindTunnel Despain asked him about a possible MotoGP ride and Spies didn't seem so thrilled about it. But then again Spies doesn't seem thrilled about anything-cool customer.....but why would he want to? WSBK is so much more exciting the MotoGP, they are riding a wave of popularity that MotoGP is not. You have a great field in WSBK, last I counted, MotoGP had 15 bikes competing in their last race....15 bikes on the grid! That's ridiculous! a joke even! Somethings gonna' shake down with this series....it simply can't sustain itself w/ 15 race teams. I would however go to see one in person, but MotoGp needs TV revenue to succeed. I believe Spies is in the right place at the right time.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Anyway - I think no way he'll ride one this year with the WSB championship on the line like it is. He's got a job to do and won't play with one off rides until he's got a WSB number one plate for his team and himself.
Well, there is one thing Ben Spies needs to be careful of:

- Colin Edwards on that new Aprilia in WSBK for 2010
- At least 4 vacant seats in MotoGP (Edwards/Toseland/Vermulen/Capirossi)

I think if it looks like Haga is 100% gonna win the championship, he will retire after this year. If thats the case, Ducati will have an open seat and nobody on the open market is nearly the quality of Haga besides Spies. Though that connection will never happen, I only mention it because Spies won't have much competition in 2010 unless Edwards does what he's planning on doing.

If Spies and Edwards go at it for 2010, it will be the best racing ever. I mean hands-down, fast, ridiculous, nonsense, the two of them will be on fire and Ducati will be, well... left picking up the pieces. Spies will have to fight yet again for a championship and he might not be interested in doing that.

If Edwards does go in WSBK for 2010, Spies needs to stay. Otherwise, I think Spies should get into MotoGP where he 'wants' to be so desperately and start learning the ropes.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

If Spies and Edwards go at it for 2010, it will be the best racing ever. I mean hands-down, fast, ridiculous, nonsense, the two of them will be on fire and Ducati will be, well... left picking up the pieces. Spies will have to fight yet again for a championship and he might not be interested in doing that.

If Edwards does go in WSBK for 2010, Spies needs to stay. Otherwise, I think Spies should get into MotoGP where he 'wants' to be so desperately and start learning the ropes.
Is it confirmed that Colin in going to WSBK?? Where did you get that info? It would be awesome thats for sure.. and I think Ben is up for the fight. Honestly I dont think he would really have fun dominating a series, I think that is part of the reason he left AMA

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Is it confirmed that Colin in going to WSBK?? Where did you get that info? It would be awesome thats for sure.. and I think Ben is up for the fight. Honestly I dont think he would really have fun dominating a series, I think that is part of the reason he left AMA
It's confirmed he has been talking with Aprilia

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

I think if it looks like Haga is 100% gonna win the championship, he will retire after this year. If thats the case, Ducati will have an open seat and nobody on the open market is nearly the quality of Haga besides Spies. Though that connection will never happen, I only mention it because Spies won't have much competition in 2010 unless Edwards does what he's planning on doing.

It is way too early to speculate about who is going where with regards to MotoGP. Toseland, while not doing stellar on the Tech 3 Yamaha has one thing going for him, he's British. The UK is a very important market for Dorna and they would probably pay to keep him there. Edwards hasn't said what he is going to do yet, but has said "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" about world superbikes. I think if Edwards has the desire to continue racing he will do so in GP's, besides Colin has ridden a fast Aprilia already; it tried to kill him.

As far as Vermeuilin and Capirossi, both riders have done fairly well for the team and could easily be re-signed. Suzuki was also reportedly at Miller talking to Spies about riding their GP bike which would seem to indicate that they aren't leaving the series.

Haga is still very motivated to win and still very competitive. I don't know the length of his Ducati contract. but I would speculate it is most likely a two year deal- which seems to be Ducati's M.O.

As far as Ducati being left out in the cold if Haga leaves, that couldn't be further from the truth. Michel Fabrizio is riding fantastic! In race two at Miller Michel was able to run the same pace as Spies for most of the race until he had a few front end slides and decided it was better to finish second than crash out. Michel has found a good form the last few rounds and has been consistent to boot. Look for Ducati to re-sign Michel.

BTW. Check out Haga's bike after the crash. Look at the swingarm!

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
What I just don't understand is why anybody would want to move "up" to MotoGP? The series is at an all time low, the bikes just aren't all that anymore. I believe there are 18 competitors and 8 or 9 teams, usually just 15 bikes fill the grid. Right now WSBK offers so much competition I would imagine that the likes of Toseland, Edwards, etc would migirate back to the series just for the competition. It's not only the competition, WSBK has become a big time series now and talented riders want to participate......as far as Haga ....I highly doubt he'll win the championship. He'll need to be at his absolute best to beat Spies (and his Mommy). It's astonishing that Spies can get up to speed so quickly on tracks he has no experience on. I think Spies will be one of if not our best rider ever! He has talent has no limits, like Spencer. He'll (Spies) will be fun to watch in the up coming years. Hopefully he get a Ducati ride!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
What I just don't understand is why anybody would want to move "up" to MotoGP? The series is at an all time low, the bikes just aren't all that anymore. I believe there are 18 competitors and 8 or 9 teams, usually just 15 bikes fill the grid. Right now WSBK offers so much competition I would imagine that the likes of Toseland, Edwards, etc would migirate back to the series just for the competition. It's not only the competition, WSBK has become a big time series now and talented riders want to participate......as far as Haga ....I highly doubt he'll win the championship. He'll need to be at his absolute best to beat Spies (and his Mommy). It's astonishing that Spies can get up to speed so quickly on tracks he has no experience on. I think Spies will be one of if not our best rider ever! He has talent has no limits, like Spencer. He'll (Spies) will be fun to watch in the up coming years. Hopefully he get a Ducati ride!
I don't know what series you have been watching, but the competition is way closer in the motogp series. The top three i points in motogp are seperated by only nine points and the top three in world superbike are seperated by 64 points. The last two World superbike weekends the races where very processional and booring while the last two GP races where much more exciting than the superbikes.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
It is way too early to speculate about who is going where with regards to MotoGP. Toseland, while not doing stellar on the Tech 3 Yamaha has one thing going for him, he's British. The UK is a very important market for Dorna and they would probably pay to keep him there. Edwards hasn't said what he is going to do yet, but has said "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" about world superbikes. I think if Edwards has the desire to continue racing he will do so in GP's, besides Colin has ridden a fast Aprilia already; it tried to kill him.
We're approaching the time when things start to happen for the following year. Edwards and Aprilia have already started talking. Biaggi has a 2 year contract and has an option for another year. I can see the team with Biaggi and Edwards in 2010. Edwards is also tired with his team, he's tired of fighting with Toseland and the other workers, so my guess is, he's done with it. Wether he moves back to WSBK, thats up to him and I have a very strong feeling if he leaves, as you said, Toeseland will stay for another 2 years.

As far as Vermeuilin and Capirossi, both riders have done fairly well for the team and could easily be re-signed. Suzuki was also reportedly at Miller talking to Spies about riding their GP bike which would seem to indicate that they aren't leaving the series.
Capirossi has already talked about retiring and Vermulen has been looking for a way back into WSBK for quite sometime. He was going to break his 2 year contract with Suzuki to ride for Ducati this year, but Ducati couldn't offer him enough money. The major brands are gonna be staying in GP, thats for sure.

Haga is still very motivated to win and still very competitive. I don't know the length of his Ducati contract. but I would speculate it is most likely a two year deal- which seems to be Ducati's M.O.
I agree about Haga, but I just hate to admit it. He will probably ride until he just can't physically do it, or he hurts himself too much. I really want him to announce his retirement when he has 100+ points over Spies and I'd like him to leave gracefully. Haga has a 2 year contract that he plans on extending for another year. Its sad, but its true... I want him to win and leave WSBK because he's just getting too old and will be left out in the cold in a few years.

As far as Ducati being left out in the cold if Haga leaves, that couldn't be further from the truth. Michel Fabrizio is riding fantastic! In race two at Miller Michel was able to run the same pace as Spies for most of the race until he had a few front end slides and decided it was better to finish second than crash out. Michel has found a good form the last few rounds and has been consistent to boot. Look for Ducati to re-sign Michel.
Fabrizio has been doing some great stuff! I was in tears when he won that italian race, it was a dream come true for him. I think he is really getting the confidence he needed a few years back and he already signed a 2 year contract with Ducati at the same time Haga did, so the Ducati Xerox team ain't changin' anytime soon.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
849 Posts
As the World Turns...

Have they told Colin that he will be riding a "revised" version of the CUBE?!?:eek:

That should be interesting in the paddock with Edwards, a good friend of Rossi's, being teamed up with Biaggi...

Unless that's water under the bridge.

I don't know what it is about Edwards, I just want him to do so well. He has had some impressive moments in MotoGP, but he just hasn't been rewarded with quality end results.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I don't know what series you have been watching, but the competition is way closer in the motogp series. The top three i points in motogp are seperated by only nine points and the top three in world superbike are seperated by 64 points. The last two World superbike weekends the races where very processional and booring while the last two GP races where much more exciting than the superbikes.
You're kidding right ??? w/ Haga , Fabrizio and Spies going at it.....not to mention the "other" exciting battles for 4 thru 10 spots.
In MotoGP there's nobody circulating in a field besides the top 3 or 4.....15 bikes in the last race....that's pathetic! Even the 250GP has 25-26 bikes in any given race.
You have to admit MotoGP is in big trouble!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
championship points wise Moto Gp Is tighter but race for race we all know WSBK has been the closest racing rivaled only buy the Gp 250's
That said Moto GP is still the primere class in 2 wheel racing...

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
championship points wise Moto Gp Is tighter but race for race we all know WSBK has been the closest racing rivaled only buy the Gp 250's
That said Moto GP is still the primere class in 2 wheel racing...
I think the racing in GP's and world superbike has been pretty comparable. I think the TV coverage is much better in world superbike, where if the leaders are spread out they make a better effort to find a good battle on the track to follow. In GP's they tend to follow the leaders and ignore the battles for position further back in the field.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts