Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, this is my first post after my first obligatory "new member" forum post. After experiencing bad quality issues with my BMW GSA, I'm in the process of shopping for a new bike. I've narrowed it down to the Multistrada and the Super Tenere (I know, 2 fairly different bikes)...but I'm leaning towards the Ducati now.

One concern I have (given my BMW experience) is the quality and general reliability of the bike. Based on what I've read, it seems like most of the 2010 issues (rear brake, center stand, DES error) have been resolved now...is this true?

Also, I ride year round in all kinds of conditions...rain, sub-freezing temps and sometimes on salted roads. Can anyone comment on how the bike starts in the cold? How has the finish of the paint, plastics and metal held up over time? Any rust issues? Fading colors?

Thanks!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Welcome to our hangout. :D

I think I answered/responded to most of your questions over on Advrider, but if there's something more I can help with, please just let me know.

-SM

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Lots of talk when things go wrong there will always be issues with new models some small some bigger...
There are a lot of satisfied owners...
A battery tender is what I use all winter . you should have no problems with a decent battery.
There can be electrical issues so an extended waranty might be a good option.
You would have 2 years to buy one ...
your own paint maintenance will determine the rust issues and finish durability...

MANY MANY people love this bike...They should have a decent resale if you decide not to keep it...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've got a 2011 that I purchased in Feb '11. I've had the rear brake recall done and changed the rear pads to the high friction variety. That pretty much fixed the issue. I have not gotten the DES error and the paint seems to be OK. My personal take on the Yamaha and the Ducati is, if you want stone reliability, inexpensive maintenance and above average performance...buy the Yamaha. If you want a bike that may have more issues,is expensive to maintain, has superior performance and truly stirs your soul....buy the Ducati. At this point in my life (55 yrs old), it was an easy choice.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I think I answered/responded to most of your questions over on Advrider, but if there's something more I can help with, please just let me know.

-SM
SOCK MONKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:abduct:

:) Thanks for your previous comments!

·
Registered
67 Posts
M1, I'm also going to be buying a leftover '12 fairly soon. Unlike your experience with BMW, I have spent the last 10 years on a blackbird that was so reliable it got a little boring. I am hesitant about buying my first Ducati and possible reliability issues, but from what I have gather this bike is very sensitive to needing a strong, well charged battery. It makes perfect sense, nearly the entire machine is computer controlled. It's very easy to drain your battery on any bike, but this one I believe will give problems to those that don't keep on top of it.

Other than that, you have totally fixable problems like the rear brake, and low-rpm fueling. I'm going to go with the base model to avoid DES complications and I think the Ohlins suspenders are just too tempermental, even if they are totally tits. The bottom line is if you are willing to take care of it, it will most likely take care of you.

Anything worth having in life requires effort.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I just bought mine a few weeks ago.

The Yamaha is a nice bike, and if based on nothing other than reputation is probably going to give you less problems. But the Multi in my research is pretty reliable, the rear brake issue is still an issue but the overall brakes are so good that I didn't let it stop me.

Bottom line, if you're looking for a cross country 50/50 street/dirt touring bike, get the Yammy. If you're looking for sportbike performance in a bike that can tour and can ride on and off road, get the Ducati. Either is a good choice.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My Honda VFR800 cost more to maintain than the Multi. Having said that - who knows what the Multi will cost to maintain when it gets to the same mileage?

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
On the cold starting issues..
My local tuner says the MTS 1198cc engine turns over slower then the 1198 Superbikes.

He figures its down to the batterycables being underspeced and replacing them with thicker gauge and fully soldered connections will solve the issue fairly well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts

-SM
Yes, welcome, Donovan, the same would apply to me.

Have fun with the hunt,

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My local tuner says the MTS 1198cc engine turns over slower then the 1198 Superbikes.

He figures its down to the batterycables being underspeced and replacing them with thicker gauge and fully soldered connections will solve the issue fairly well.

Thanks...yeah, someone else had mentioned "cold start issues"....if its just a bit slow when starting in sub-freezing temps, then that's cool (no pun intended), but if people are finding it won't start in those conditions (assuming battery is good, of course), then this is a deal killer for me.

Anyone ride their MTS in the freezing cold?

·
Registered
406 Posts

He's absolutely right. If you want a plug and play solution, this company's products are superb:

starting upgrade for Ducati motorcycles

Mine starts in 2-3 seconds every time now. Had it done while the bike was in for the electronic lock recall, they charged me half an hour's extra labor.

The one thing I'd add is for this OP's needs, I'd suggest he get a non-DES bike. It really seems that the DES system is the leading candidate for "crazy expensive, out of warranty" problems. Since the OP is planning to keep his bike for the duration, even with an extended warranty he could be looking at several thousand $ 5 years down the line when he gets his "DES error" message...The standard suspension is really, really good and the $ saved could cover a lot of service costs down the line.

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Bigger cables may make such a difference.
A relatively easy fix.
With all the electronics one would think they SHOULD be able to start easily.
Is there a better battery than the stock one...

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
your own paint maintenance will determine the rust issues and finish durability...
QUOTE]

What do you mean by paint maintenance exactly??? Do you just mean keeping the dirt/salt off without using an abrasive or ??
Just keeping the salt or brine off the bike regular washing (not pressure washing)
I rarely wash mine but apply good wax and a couple of coats . the more wax the easier it is to keep clean.
Some models the factory may have skimped on the paint but the Multi seems well painted . You would want to keep an eye on it , as any painted surface subjected to road grime stones and pebbles etc.

The front fender can be fitted with an extension Amullo has one.
And there is shields made by TOURATECH for added protection. Armour plating almost:rolleyes:

Some parts are flimsy like the hand guards no telling how brittle the would be in the freezing temps of wind chill factors. but there are stronger after market parts...
If you are going to ride in all waether the bike is going to have some road wear and tear , not like a Garage Queen...
Ride the darn thing:D:D:D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just keeping the salt or brine off the bike regular washing (not pressure washing)
I rarely wash mine but apply good wax and a couple of coats . the more wax the easier it is to keep clean.
Some models the factory may have skimped on the paint but the Multi seems well painted . You would want to keep an eye on it , as any painted surface subjected to road grime stones and pebbles etc.

The front fender can be fitted with an extension Amullo has one.
And there is shields made by TOURATECH for added protection. Armour plating almost:rolleyes:

Some parts are flimsy like the hand guards no telling how brittle the would be in the freezing temps of wind chill factors. but there are stronger after market parts...
If you are going to ride in all waether the bike is going to have some road wear and tear , not like a Garage Queen...
Ride the darn thing:D:D:D
HAHA, yup, i get it...my GSA was no garage queen. But that bike just looks right with scratches, dings and dirt on it....the Duc is too pretty to get dirty. But maybe after I own it for a few months, I won't feel that way anymore. :D I DO like to try to protect my investment, however.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
As said.. I put on a fender extender from ebay and its worked great so far. Also a radiator shield.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Have a look here.

I think Ducati is doing a fine job:
1) resolving specific issues on individual bikes as they arise.
2) identifying patterns and addressing them in the factory

There's a rumor that the 2013 model gets a new / improved wind screen, for example.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts