Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Been a while...years, in fact! I haven't been riding since my SFS got stolen back in 2014. My home setup is a bit better now and I can actually keep a bike indoors.

SO--I'm considering picking up with an SF848 or an 899.

I'm looking at an SF848 in my area this weekend. The bike is low mileage and all-stock. Problem is, the owner says that in the past couple of weeks, the bike won't crank over. He suspects a bad tank of gas, but who knows. He said that the dashboard comes on and that "the starter cranks but it sounds like it doesn't get enough fuel." I'm wondering if I should walk away, or help this guy get it diagnosed, and if it's a cheap-ish repair, purchase the bike.

The issue is, I don't know if I'm in for a $400 fix or a $4000 fix. Google returned one horror story where of an 848 owner that got water in his gas and it ruined the head and it was like a $6000 rebuild. The price on the bike itself is pretty good, but since it's all stock, I'm looking at a few thousand more to get it to where I want it--basically 899 territory at that point. I'm wondering if I should just get the newer bike or if I should let me love of the SF overrule it.

Anyway, are there any diagnostic steps I can take when I go look at this bike to understand the issue?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
If you had a sfs i would search for another one with low miles.

They are similar but you'll miss your previous one.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you had a sfs i would search for another one with low miles.

They are similar but you'll miss your previous one.
I ended up picking up an 899. It wasn't much more than the SF848 was, and it's a newer bike...plus, something different than what I'm used to.

The SFS is a great bike but it's just too much for the kind of riding I can do in this area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts