Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have an opportunity to pick up a scrambler 250 basket case. Not sure of the exact year. He claims its 90-95% there. Motor is together and spins freely. Rolling chassis. Has the exhaust, carb, tank. He is asking $1400. Anyone have any insight to its value? I believe it also comes with a spare motor.

·
Bon Vivant
10,576 Posts
Hey all. I have an opportunity to pick up a scrambler 250 basket case. Not sure of the exact year. He claims its 90-95% there. Motor is together and spins freely. Rolling chassis. Has the exhaust, carb, tank. He is asking $1400. Anyone have any insight to its value? I believe it also comes with a spare motor.
I would say the value of around $1000 to $1400 is about right. Some people really like the old scramblers but in the US they are plentiful. I'm not a fan of them and would rather spend the time and money on something a little more in my interest. Although I do think they are more popular then some of the commuter bikes like Broncos and Monzas.

The cost and effort to restore a scrambler is the same as it would be to restore a Mach 1 or a Diana both of which are much more rare and collectable (and more interesting to me). Of course initial cost to acquire those bikes is much higher even in poor condition, but when they are done they will be worth double what the Scrambler is worth.

Restoration costs on one of these bikes will be north of $10,000 if you do a proper job and a restored scrambler is still fetching less than that in the US. If you pay someone to do it the cost will be north of $20K. Values for all of the old ducati singles is slowly rising but ROI is going to be negative for a long while yet. Guys that are doing it do it for love of the bike and sentiment.

I've done enough of these to know that basket case bikes just need everything, if you dont want to do a restoration you're better off finding a clean, complete runner for $3500 - $4000 or so.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info bulldog. Exactly the kind of info I am looking for. Appreciate it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts