Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I went to prep my bike for the upcoming track day and found it would not start. It appears that my Microtec M197 ECU has suddenly stopped sending an injector or coil signal. It's like that drive circuit, in the ECU, went bad. I purchased my Microtec ECU new from the Ducshop so I know its history and it was working just fine during my last track day last month. When I hook the Microtec software to the bike and attempt to test the injectors and coils I get nothing. I am using a noid light to detect the signal to the coils and listening for the "click" when testing the injectors. Neither test yields a success. If I swap out the Microtech for the factory ECU and use another diagnostic software to test the injectors and coils, both tests work as expected and the bike starts and runs without issue. Has anyone had their Microtec M197 shoot craps like this?

Thanks in advance,
Chad

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I just heard back from Mark, at the Ducshop, it appears that a poor ground can cause damage to the coil and injector drive circuit in the Microtech M197 ECUs. Mark recommends adding a supplemental ground wire to the chassis to ensure the ground is solid because the Microtech's are so sensitive to poor grounds. Apparently, Microtech will fix it for free but the ECU must be sent back to Microtech for repair. Mark has seen this in something like 10 out of 300 units. I hope this info helps someone else.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts