Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Hyper
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new '06 Sport 1000 after my 07 has been gone for a year. While cleaning, I realized the microswitch on the clutch lever is broken and therefore I can only fire the ignition if the bike is in neutral. Is there any way to fix this without ordering the little bugger from Italy?

Can I just hard wire the switch and call it a day? If I did, how bad would the result be if I accidentally hit the button while in gear?

I would appreciate any of your thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Besides the name, microswitches are as complex as a pile of stones. I think it would actually be harder to hotwire it than to replace it. About the only thing you have to watch is the voltage / amperage maximum tolerance, and the force required to actuate.

Do you have any info at all about the type? Check mouser.com or digi-key.com and try to find a similar switch. It'll most probably cost less than $10.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi, not to spam you with info but there's one more thing - might be obvious but might be helpful; Lots of switches have the relevant specs actually stamped on the case. If you turn & twist the switch a bit, you might be able to see some lettering. Should help in finding a replacement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Brake micro-switch was $90US from Ducati dealer. If you can find a source for microswitches that is cheaper, please do post a link!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Brake micro-switch was $90US from Ducati dealer. If you can find a source for microswitches that is cheaper, please do post a link!
If you can get me a picture of the switch, I'll take the price difference to my Paypal for finding a standard industrial replacement :)

·
Registered
2010 Hyper
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The switch is a Burgess v4ncs. The problem is that I can find the switch on a number of distributors pages but no retailer pages. Also, the switch on the bike has an additional plunger attachment and wire harness (which I could transplant) but I can't seem to find the parts for them. The tube with the plunger is 14mm long, 5mm wide with the button sticking out 5mm. Any switch with this type of plunger would work.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, I didn't hire out the photography.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi,

Johnson Electronics is the international company, SAIA is the Swiss manufacturer.

http://www.je-motion.com/mediando/index.php?IdTreeGroup=38&IdProduct=1106
There's a stock check button there, and distronmatic seems to carry these things and have them in stock: http://www.distronmatic.com/produkte/saiaburgess/index.html

They're under 3 EUR each ... but the standard shipping charge to the US is 65 EUR :( That's $98 total, shipped - I guess I owe Cthulu 8 bucks :)

Seriously though, you could call or email Johnson electronics or SAIA or Distronmatic and see if they have an US retailer that is perhaps too small to be Googleable, or check if they're willing to simply drop a few pieces into an envelope. Maybe you can slip them a small handling fee (beer money). Or get someone you know overseas to order a few at the cheap European shipping rate and re-ship it to you in bubble wrap.

Might be worth it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but it has no conclusion and I have found the answer!

The part you need is a Sala-Burgess V4NS microswitch. These cost around £3, ($5) and are easy to fit.

What you need to do is disconnect the original switch leaving the pin, thread and bolt in place, then the V4NS simply clicks in. You will need to remove the yellow wire from the new switch (cut it off) and then connect up the other two wire to the block connector at the head stock (I just pulled the old wire out and slid the new one in!) - it doesn't matter which way round you wire them. That's it done!

The switch can be purchased in the UK from:

Buy Micro Switches Fully sealed microswitch Saia-Burgess V4NS online from RS for next day delivery.

Hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just got a new '06 Sport 1000 after my 07 has been gone for a year. While cleaning, I realized the microswitch on the clutch lever is broken and therefore I can only fire the ignition if the bike is in neutral. Is there any way to fix this without ordering the little bugger from Italy?

Can I just hard wire the switch and call it a day? If I did, how bad would the result be if I accidentally hit the button while in gear?

I would appreciate any of your thoughts.
Hey StLouis; Mine broke, I just fixed with aluminum tape and a tiny bit of glue and it's been doing good. No Problems

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just realised that mine seems to be broken too. I noticed that the previous owner had put the switch and the cable end part together with a cable tie. So the connection has been loose or something. Anyways the switch doesn't seem to work even when it seems to be contacted. How do I know is the problem the swich or the cable or something else. Any ideas?

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's likely the switch rather than the wires. Try bridging the switch/wires and see what happens. I found that after my switch broke (clips), the first time it rained it corroded inside and that screwed it completely!

R

1 - 15 of 15 Posts