Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking for a Ducati mechanic here in Michigan. Unfortunately, I found out local legend Greg Rammel passed away this summer.

If anyone knows of some reputable mechanics here in Michigan preferably southeast Michigan I would appreciate the info.

Thanks

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah, it was quite shocking and sad to hear that news. He was a great person and friend, someone I didn't talk with enough or get to see over the past few years.

He'll definitely be missed but I'll always remember those epic times! RIP Gregg.

To answer your question, sorry I don't know of anyone there.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
RIP Greg. I hadn’t talked to him in quite a while. Always helpful. He’ll be missed.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
service?

I had 996 belts & valves adjusted for $725. including parts last Winter.detroit ducati advised it would be less if the panels,tank,etc. were removed so I trucked it there bared.they only charge for time it takes.mechanics seem to be very approachable,trustworthy.next month I think slow season begins if your not in a rush.not sure if they will install your parts. the next closest dealer is northern Ohio or Ontario,Canada 200 mile distance each.https://www.northernohioducatiandtriumph.com/ RIP greg.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I think there’s a dealer in Kalamazoo. Never been there.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think there’s a dealer in Kalamazoo. Never been there.
And Grand Rapids. I've not been to the one in KZoo, but the one in GR is a big operation that seems on the ball (though I haven't yet used any dealer for maintenance work).

Fox Powersports
3562 29th Street SE
49512 GRAND RAPIDS MICHIGAN
Tel.616-855-3660 Fax.616-855-3690
= = = = =
Life Cycle, LLC 3103 Lake Street
49048 Kalamazoo Michigan
Tel.269388-5590 Fax.269388-3050
= = = =

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
They’re all so far from me I just do it myself. I’ve been through taking vehicles long range for repair and it just never works out for me.

·
Matt
685 Posts
I think it depends a bit on what model (e.g. era) your bike is and what you want to have done. I'm mostly a 916-era guy and other than Gregg Rammel, I haven't had any good experiences in Michigan when it came to anything beyond simple maintenance. Earlier this year, prior to Gregg's passing, he had decided to stop working on others' bikes and just focus on his own. It was terrible news to hear of his passing - - he was talented, and he was a nice guy - - and funny too.

I have had good experiences going down to Matt Carr's shop in Indy. I can usually setup a Saturday appointment...drive down in the morning, have the work done, and drive back same day. For engine work I go to Mark Sutton at the Ducshop...always a great experience and worth the work of getting an engine (or a bike) to him.

RIP Gregg - - he's missed immensely by many.

Reactions: corsemoto

·
Registered
393 Posts
An old thread but I agree with the above poster. Ducati Indianapolis has very good service. I have taken bikes there for 10 years and have not been disappointed. It would be worth the drive.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think it depends a bit on what model (e.g. era) your bike is and what you want to have done. I'm mostly a 916-era guy and other than Gregg Rammel, I haven't had any good experiences in Michigan when it came to anything beyond simple maintenance. Earlier this year, prior to Gregg's passing, he had decided to stop working on others' bikes and just focus on his own. It was terrible news to hear of his passing - - he was talented, and he was a nice guy - - and funny too.

I have had good experiences going down to Matt Carr's shop in Indy. I can usually setup a Saturday appointment...drive down in the morning, have the work done, and drive back same day. For engine work I go to Mark Sutton at the Ducshop...always a great experience and worth the work of getting an engine (or a bike) to him.

RIP Gregg - - he's missed immensely by many.
Agree with XLR8R on all points, especially since TJ in Milwaukee went to the Dark Side. :grin2:

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
That is a long way to go for good service ! If I absolutely must go to a dealer for service I believe I’ll go to Kalamazoo.

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
I happen to be here in Kalamazoo for a business trip. I had some extra time so I dropped into Life Cycles today. He no longer is a Ducati dealer, dropped them last year.

I don’t know if he still has a Ducati mechanic, you may want to call before you make the trip.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Thanks , good to know. Not a big deal for me as I almost always do my own work.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I happen to be here in Kalamazoo for a business trip. I had some extra time so I dropped into Life Cycles today. He no longer is a Ducati dealer, dropped them last year.

I don’t know if he still has a Ducati mechanic, you may want to call before you make the trip.
I bought my Paul Smart from the owner of Life Cycles back in 2013. It was the owner's personal bike. The one thing that sucked was the drive up and back from Atlanta to pick it up....All in one weekend! Did he say what the reason was for dropping Ducati?

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
He didn’t go into specifics but alluded to the fact that Ducati Corporate wants everyone in the dealer network to update to a unified standard. I don’t think that area could support the volume needed to make the required renovations economically feasible.

·
Registered
922 Posts
He didn’t go into specifics but alluded to the fact that Ducati Corporate wants everyone in the dealer network to update to a unified standard. I don’t think that area could support the volume needed to make the required renovations economically feasible.
I hope their not following in the footsteps Triumph was heading a few years back.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I understand the dealers viewpoint. Who wants to spend money for upgrades in a depressed market ? But from the manufacturers view, mechanics without proper training and a poorly stocked parts department turns off potential repeat buyers and reflects on the brand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts