Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Upside, just looked, and my Triumph has the exact same size tires as the ST4S. Currently riding PR4s which I like a lot. Over the years went from Contis to Avons, to Dunlops. Never been a huge Michelin fan on the car side of things. I'm smiling now.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Does my ST3 look out of place?
An ST never looks out of place.. !

i just put a new set of tires PR4's on mine.. new wheels and stuff, but i thought about thr R5's too then.. but decided to go for the trusted pr4's (3rd set now)

the set i took of has only worn down to 50% though, but i decided on new tires on the new wheels.

did notice a slight cupping though, so i'm also interested in testing the pressure that makes it cup less / not but still keeps it's grip.

did notice quite a bit more angling in the corners since the 'transformation' which i'm happy about as i started to doubt myself on that..

greatz

Matt

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
8,606 Posts
@Lanesmatb Any more updates? How are they holding up?

My ST3 is in need of a new rear and the Pilot Power 3 that's on there now is discontinued. Thinking about what I'm going to put on next. I'm totally undecided but it will probably be Pirelli or Michelin. And either the Rosso III, Angel GT, Power RS, or Road 5. Not sure if I want sport or sport touring.

Edit: Found a PP3 rear at a good price, so it looks like it'll be new tires front and rear next time. Still wouldn't mind hearing an update, though.

·
Mr Leakered
8,785 Posts
@Lanesmatb Any more updates? How are they holding up?

My ST3 is in need of a new rear and the Pilot Power 3 that's on there now is discontinued. Thinking about what I'm going to put on next. I'm totally undecided but it will probably be Pirelli or Michelin. And either the Rosso III, Angel GT, Power RS, or Road 5. Not sure if I want sport or sport touring.

Edit: Found a PP3 rear at a good price, so it looks like it'll be new tires front and rear next time. Still wouldn't mind hearing an update, though.
I'm just one data point, but I've read similar reports on other sites. I'd stay away from the Angel GTs if you ride in the wet.

I just recycled my collection of tires from the crawlspace this weekend. It was hard for a cheapass like me to toss out the GTs since they had more than half the tread on them. I went through (I think) four sets of Angel STs with no complaints. The GTs were phenomenally bad on wet tar snakes and paint lines. After putting on PR4s, I also found that I was slipping in wet corners.

I felt good tossing the PR4 takeoffs since they were all bald, including Shaggy:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/620026-pilot-road-4-front-tire-cupping-pressures.html#post6054258

I never cut out a section to keep. Oh well.

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, with 35psi front and 39psi rear, the PR4s are wearing very evenly with the front now outlasting the rear by a lot. I could probably get through 1.75 rears to one front.

I would like to try the PR5s given the much more solid tread pattern, but it will really depend on prices when I order up in a few months.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update at 2163 miles

Now have 2163 miles on the PR5s. I did have a short rain run this weekend and no surprises or slipping. Seem better wet than the AGTs, very sure footed, but I'm careful in the wet so I'm not exactly pushing them. In other words, I'm no wet weather expert ;)

My assessment on their grip and front feel hasn't changed. Outstanding. I haven't had any evidence of them feeling greasy yet as some have mentioned with the PR4s.

At nearly 2200 miles, they are holding up better than the AGTs on the shoulders; the Pirelli's usually show significant shoulder erosion at this time. I'm guessing I'll have another 1000 mi+ which will put me over 3k, where I only get around 2.3K with the AGTs. It's typical mileage based on how and where I ride. Center tread wear is pretty negligible, so depending on where and how you ride, you may get 3-4x more mileage. No evidence of scalloping, but it may still be early.

I've never been a Michelin fanboy, but I can't fault them and I beat on them pretty hard. I'll absolutely get them again.

Rear:

Front:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Now have 2163 miles on the PR5s. I did have a short rain run this weekend and no surprises or slipping. Seem better wet than the AGTs, very sure footed, but I'm careful in the wet so I'm not exactly pushing them. In other words, I'm no wet weather expert ;)

My assessment on their grip and front feel hasn't changed. Outstanding. I haven't had any evidence of them feeling greasy yet as some have mentioned with the PR4s.

At nearly 2200 miles, they are holding up better than the AGTs on the shoulders; the Pirelli's usually show significant shoulder erosion at this time. I'm guessing I'll have another 1000 mi+ which will put me over 3k, where I only get around 2.3K with the AGTs. It's typical mileage based on how and where I ride. Center tread wear is pretty negligible, so depending on where and how you ride, you may get 3-4x more mileage. No evidence of scalloping, but it may still be early.

I've never been a Michelin fanboy, but I can't fault them and I beat on them pretty hard. I'll absolutely get them again.

Rear:

Front:
I used to live in Denver where my tire wear was much more even...sidewall to sidewall. Miss that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The wear appears uneven in both time series, and I suspect you have a geometry tear on the front tire. When was the sag checked and how old is your fork oil? I'm not a tire expert, but you may not have enough weight/heat getting into the front tire. Dave Moss had a fantastic series on wear patterns, but recently put them behind a paywall.

Here is a great example on tire analysis:

Here's a quick summary for tire wear: https://lifeatlean.com/motorcycle-tyre-wear-guide/

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Final Update Michelin Road 5 - 3800 miles

I wanted to make a final update to the Mich Road 5 thread. By August, I had 3800 miles and was well into the wear markers on the front and still (barely) had some wear marker on the rear. The wear markers are the ones on the shoulders. Front 33 PSI, Rear 32 PSI.

Based on the Pirelli AGTs I've run in the past, I can make some generalizations between the two and my particular riding habits:

Wear: Best I could get out of AGTs was 3200 mi, with the average miles at about 3k. The Michelin went 3.8K but the wear markers on the shoulders were thin. I was surprised that the front wear was more than the rear; not a lot but noticeable. The front shoulders on the R5 I believe are softer than the AGTs since I usually had equal front/back wear with the Pirelli's. As I've mentioned before, I almost exclusively "canyon" ride and trail brake, so your actual road mileage will no doubt be a lot better. One thing I would mention that with the tires deep into the wear markers, I lost some grip. I had both tires slide/stick a few times for the last 300 miles in spirited riding. Nothing scary, but they let me know to ease up and that they were done. Next time, they will come off at ~3.5k.

Dry Grip: R5s were consistently great until the last 300 miles when they were well in the side wear markers. The rear worked as well as the AGTs; couldn't tell any difference grip wise. The front R5 was superior than the AGT in feel. The front gave excellent feedback and grip – R5 front gave me a ton of confidence in trail braking and in the tight stuff. Loved the R5 front.

Wet Grip: I didn’t push either AGT or R5 in the rain, but the R5s never slipped, not once. The AGTs would squirm a bit so I’ll have to give the Michs a thumbs up.

Conclusion: Between the AGT and R5, the R5 was the winner for me. The biggest factor was the front – you had to “trust” the AGT grip, you “know” the grip of the R5. Really the only way I can explain it. Also, the front had better feel and precision. The R5 is a better rain tire, great grip. The R5s also lasted about 500 miles more that the AGTs. Not a lot, but better. The only advice I’d give is once the tire is in the wear markers, get em’ replaced. They do lose some grip if ridden aggressively.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm on my second set of Dunlop Roadsmart III on an ST 2. Awesome grip and handling. The best mileage of any tire I've had on the bike.
The Pirelli Angels would push the front on downhill corners and didn't last.
Dunlop has a $100 rebate as well.
Win, win...
Yup. Cost me $312 including mount and balance. Initially, the handling didn't match up to expectations. Turns out that Dunlap has an extensive list of recommended pressures to run with different bikes. Using their values, 36 psi front & 42 rear, magic happened. They did their homework!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'm on my second set of Dunlop Roadsmart III on an ST 2. Awesome grip and handling. The best mileage of any tire I've had on the bike.
The Pirelli Angels would push the front on downhill corners and didn't last.
Dunlop has a $100 rebate as well.
Win, win...
Yup. Cost me $312 including mount and balance. Initially, the handling didn't match up to expectations. Turns out that Dunlap has an extensive list of recommended pressures to run with different bikes. Using their values, 36 psi front & 42 rear, magic happened. They did their homework!
I run 37 psi front, 39 rear. Now on my third set !

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Have about 600 miles in new PR5s (MTS DVT) and they are great. Very temperate here in socal so there's not much cold/warm transition. My boots touch down before I can get over to the edges. A light weight and long-wearing tire. Burned through a set on my FZ before the Duc came into the garage.

If they don't wear funny like the front PR4 did, I'll stick with them. 34F/40R A little pricey but my annual mileage is 5-6K miles.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts