Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the PR5 for the last 2K miles and love them, better handling than the OEM Pirelli's.
Will know how they last before the end of summer and post some more.

·
Banned
5,879 Posts
I felt the same way for the first 3K miles. But after a long discussion with the vendor the conclusion is that these are not suitable for hot weather climates (and I'm only calling out the front).

Crazy rippling and what might be called cupping. The rear is fine. Overall, the performance of the PR5 is awesome. But the front is tore up after 3K, and that's not OK. I'll post a pic when I get around to it.

The main factor is apparently heat and users aren't reporting the issues in cooler climes.

well the whole story is, I did most of those miles last summer cross from East to westcoast, 120 degree heat index by the time I made Arkansas, 110 actual when I made Shamrock Texas, !00 degrees cross southern Colorado from Trinidad to Durango,
118 in Nevada, I don't think I saw a day that wasn't above 100 till I made Ontario coming back across from BC, and then it was in the high 90s
That 5 on the front went through 2 rears, had to get a rear in Spokane,

·
Registered
655 Posts
Based on some posts here, I ordered a set of R5's for my trip next month. Hope I luv 'em as much as you guys.
FWIW.....for S&G's, I put a set of Dunlop Q3+'s on after I picked up a screw in my Angel GT II's. Of course its a GREAT tire and sticks!!!!, but I was interested in mileage. Unfortunately, after two weeks/1800+ miles I picked up a staple and....but it appears the tire will go 3000+....maybe even 3500, which is stellar for a tire with that much grip.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
I've logged in just over 4,3xx miles and during yearly inspection last week, the front was at 3/32's and rear was 4/32's. Hoping to get 8k so we'll see. Need to wear down some of the edge rubber. :grin2:

·
Banned
5,879 Posts
I've logged in just over 4,3xx miles and during yearly inspection last week, the front was at 3/32's and rear was 4/32's. Hoping to get 8k so we'll see. Need to wear down some of the edge rubber. :grin2:
that's another thing I've noticed on the multi, no cupping on the front to speak of, a bit is normal in these
twisties I live in but nothing like I saw on the ST4s. The new michelin 5 rears also seem less prone to flat spot in
the middle, My last had pret near 5k on it and a lot of flat roads from BC to Virginia across the Canadian great plains (the great plains on steroids). But once back home the edges caught up quite quickly with the center... ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m nearing the time to buy some tire’s for my 13 Touring S, looking at the Road 5 for sure after reading the great reviews and watching info on them on YouTube. My question is, what is the difference between the Road 5 and the Road 5 Trail? I can’t seem to find anything describing the difference in the two? The Trail version is higher priced though!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm done w/ Pirelli after puncturing my second rear in a year on normal road debris, the core of these tires is too soft. Always had better luck with Michelin's anyway, to me a dual compound tire feels more stable in corner transitions, plus they wear better.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
I’m nearing the time to buy some tire’s for my 13 Touring S, looking at the Road 5 for sure after reading the great reviews and watching info on them on YouTube. My question is, what is the difference between the Road 5 and the Road 5 Trail? I can’t seem to find anything describing the difference in the two? The Trail version is higher priced though!
I personally wouldn’t take these tires off-road. Not the right tool for the job IMO.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
well the whole story is, I did most of those miles last summer cross from East to westcoast, 120 degree heat index by the time I made Arkansas, 110 actual when I made Shamrock Texas, !00 degrees cross southern Colorado from Trinidad to Durango,
118 in Nevada, I don't think I saw a day that wasn't above 100 till I made Ontario coming back across from BC, and then it was in the high 90s
That 5 on the front went through 2 rears, had to get a rear in Spokane,
Sounds like you were on a long tour. My commute consists of 0-80-0 every day. Another fellow told me hard braking was rough on street tires but the combination of heat and abuse shortens effective life.

The rear is dandy and overall tread depth in even between the two. For most MTS riders it's going to be a great tire all around. I'm just hitting 5K miles and that front is getting pretty chunky. Off the rim it's very light and thin construction. I just might need a chunkier tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
My last few sets have been Pirelli Angel GTs, as I liked the life better than the PR4’s, and grip was consistently excellent. I decided to try the PR5’s. I was surprised that the tread siping didn’t extend further down the edges of the tire, especially for a sport touring tire. Made me wonder how edge grip would be when things get wet.

I’ve put about 1400 miles on the set so far, all in the dry, and many of those miles have been spent hammering corners at very high speed. Grip has been predictable and excellent, always. No scares or surprises.

Wear pattern is interesting. You can definitely see the difference to the soft compound on the edges. Interesting that the pattern long the joint is sort of wavy.

Very impressed so far, and looking forward to some more thorough testing in the wet.

Attachments

·
Registered
835 Posts
^^^ Nice wear pattern on your rear PR5 Bwip, you must have a nice sporty suspension setting. With the tread not going to the edge, the PR5 feels much nicer in the corners, id doubt you would be that far over in the wet, and with the side of the tire being so soft, I've found the grip even great on damp road surfaces. Love the PR5s on my big sporty tourers, i have S22's on my 790.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My last few sets have been Pirelli Angel GTs, as I liked the life better than the PR4’s, and grip was consistently excellent. I decided to try the PR5’s. I was surprised that the tread siping didn’t extend further down the edges of the tire, especially for a sport touring tire. Made me wonder how edge grip would be when things get wet.

I’ve put about 1400 miles on the set so far, all in the dry, and many of those miles have been spent hammering corners at very high speed. Grip has been predictable and excellent, always. No scares or surprises.

Wear pattern is interesting. You can definitely see the difference to the soft compound on the edges. Interesting that the pattern long the joint is sort of wavy.

Very impressed so far, and looking forward to some more thorough testing in the wet.
If you look closely you will see the chain pins are starting to eat away at the side of your tyre.
Note the PR5 is a very wide tyre (196mm)
This problem with the PR5 seams to affect some bikes more than others, keep an eye on it
Is it on a 1260 ??

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you look closely you will see the chain pins are starting to eat away at the side of your tyre.
Note the PR5 is a very wide tyre (196mm)
This problem with the PR5 seams to affect some bikes more than others, keep an eye on it
Is it on a 1260 ??
It’s on a 2016 Pikes Peak. Looks like there’s a good bit of room between the chain and the edge of the tire and chain, but I’ll keep an eye on it. Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Any feedback on using the PR5 on gravel? I have gone through 4 sets of the OEM Scorpion Trail II tires, and although I'm fairly happy with them on gravel, I have had 3 flats due to pins, screws, and nails. Seems unusually susceptible to flats (having run PRs on my ST3 for 70k+ miles with no flats). The parts guy suggested I switch to the PR5 since they have a fairly open tread design, but I ride a fair amount on gravel and don't want the unstable feel I had with PR2's on the loose stuff.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Any feedback on using the PR5 on gravel? I have gone through 4 sets of the OEM Scorpion Trail II tires, and although I'm fairly happy with them on gravel, I have had 3 flats due to pins, screws, and nails. Seems unusually susceptible to flats (having run PRs on my ST3 for 70k+ miles with no flats). The parts guy suggested I switch to the PR5 since they have a fairly open tread design, but I ride a fair amount on gravel and don't want the unstable feel I had with PR2's on the loose stuff.
I've been on gravel (not by choice) several times but not for extended amounts. I grew up on a dirtbike so it does not intimidate me at all. That being said, it wasn't pleasant. As long as you have the instincts, you'll be fine but if you are regularly on stone, I personally wouldn't recommend the 5. Just my .02.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So how many miles are you up to? I hope to put new rubber on in the bike in the week or so. 8K would be nice. If I get as many days as I hope, that would be about March or so when I need to replace.

121 - 140 of 146 Posts