Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Did a track day on mine. Probably have about 1000k miles on them. I live in SoCal though so, not much in the way of bad weather to speak of. Handled really well on the track. Turn in feels nice and predictable and, you can probably tell I'm leaning the bike over a bit. It's hard to directly compare a squared of PR4 (what I had before) with the new PR5s though.
Your highlighted ending sentence epitomized the "apples vs oranges" comparison.
Most opinions on forums have an inherent built-in bias as you just can't compare an old tire with a new one. :nerd:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am on my 3rd rear on a 2014 Touring S. I typically get 4 to 4.5K out of a rear. I live 2 hours from T.O.D. and make 3 to 4 trips a month (usually on weekdays), sometimes with the bags on. I was running 36F/36R for pressures and would replace a rear tire when it started looking like this:
IMG_2032.JPG

I run the Power RS tire on my SF 848 and use 30F/28R. So I started thinking maybe the lower pressures might work on the MTS. I experimented a little and settled on 34F/32R. Here is a photo of the current Road 5 I am running, it has about 3k on it and I went to the mountains on it yesterday. I have not run these pressures with the bags on and would probably bump up the rear to 34 if I did. Bottom line is the wear seems less severe and the grip levels are the same (if not a little better at the end of a long day). Your results may vary based on rider weight(I weigh about 185#) and riding style.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
......I live 2 hours from T.O.D. and make 3 to 4 trips a month (usually on weekdays)........
I'm jealous. While living in Florida has its advantages, good riding roads is not one of them. Can't wait to be able to say something like "I live 2 hours from <insert awesome motorcycle road here>. We are eye balling a relocation to North Georgia in a couple years.

As for your tire pressures, I wonder if the same would hold true on the brutal boring flat roads down here. I always end up burning through the middle well before the rest of the tire is done.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I traded my 13’ in on a new 1260 s and cannot wait to get the Scorpion Trail 2s off of this bike. I have leaned over far enough to go over the edge of the tread on these. I have found using the 190/50 instead of the 190/55 in the rear provides a little bit more round profile of the tire. This gives me a little more tire on the sides. The 50 series has a little shorter sidewall to allow this.

Try it out for yourself. I usually get about 4K miles out of a rear and about 6 to 8k out of the front. Keep in mind, I do not ride them very far into the wear bars. Tires are cheap insurance.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm jealous. While living in Florida has its advantages, good riding roads is not one of them. Can't wait to be able to say something like "I live 2 hours from <insert awesome motorcycle road here>. We are eye balling a relocation to North Georgia in a couple years.

As for your tire pressures, I wonder if the same would hold true on the brutal boring flat roads down here. I always end up burning through the middle well before the rest of the tire is done.
I grew up in NE Atlanta, my mom still lives there. If you can swing moving to that area you will like it. Choice roads about 80 miles from your house.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I grew up in NE Atlanta, my mom still lives there. If you can swing moving to that area you will like it. Choice roads about 80 miles from your house.
That is our plan. We are looking at relocating to the Suches, GA area after our oldest graduates high school but may end up living NE Atlanta and just having a cabin in the mountains. We try to get up there twice a year now but would love to be less than 2 hours away.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That is our plan. We are looking at relocating to the Suches, GA area after our oldest graduates high school but may end up living NE Atlanta and just having a cabin in the mountains. We try to get up there twice a year now but would love to be less than 2 hours away.
If you move to Suches you will be right in the middle of some of the best roads N. Georgia has to offer. See you there!

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you move to Suches you will be right in the middle of some of the best roads N. Georgia has to offer. See you there!
That is the idea. We've been up there a few times with the bike and I love the area. We are actually heading up there in July and hoping to go back again in September. Will be trailering the bike up there both times.

·
Registered
241 Posts
After a few rides on the Road 5 GT, I'm really liking them A LOT

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
Currently have the PR5 on front, 4's on the rear. Will switch to the 5's when the 4's we wear out.

I'm I the only rider who wears out the fronts before the rear. It was the case on my Yamaha too. About 1.5 fronts vs rear.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I've been very leery of trying the 5's because I hated the PR4's. I've tried most of the S/T tires on the market (w/the exception of the Metzler Roadtec 01) and my favorite tire, by far, are the Angel GT's. Mileage wise, the Angels are good for 4000 miles.....and I'm heading on a road trip that'll be 5000+....Hmmm.....

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've been very leery of trying the 5's because I hated the PR4's. I've tried most of the S/T tires on the market (w/the exception of the Metzler Roadtec 01) and my favorite tire, by far, are the Angel GT's. Mileage wise, the Angels are good for 4000 miles.....and I'm heading on a road trip that'll be 5000+....Hmmm.....
I didn't like the PR4s. but love the 5s. Previously went through two sets of Angel GTs and think the Road 5 might be a little better. Certainly seems to be wearing better. I'd kill an Angel GT rear in 4k miles, I think the Road 5s will go to 5 or 6k miles.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I'm right there with you. As stated, I hated the 4's. Don't let the 4 sway you at all. Completely different animal, trust me.

·
Banned
5,879 Posts
PR 4 or 5 best tire made. 5000 on the last rear, 10000 plus on the last front, nary a slip and I have no chicken strips. :wink2:

Also excellent in the rain.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
PR 4 or 5 best tire made. 5000 on the last rear, 10000 plus on the last front, nary a slip and I have no chicken strips. :wink2:

Also excellent in the rain.
I felt the same way for the first 3K miles. But after a long discussion with the vendor the conclusion is that these are not suitable for hot weather climates (and I'm only calling out the front).

Crazy rippling and what might be called cupping. The rear is fine. Overall, the performance of the PR5 is awesome. But the front is tore up after 3K, and that's not OK. I'll post a pic when I get around to it.

The main factor is apparently heat and users aren't reporting the issues in cooler climes.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I felt the same way for the first 3K miles. But after a long discussion with the vendor the conclusion is that these are not suitable for hot weather climates (and I'm only calling out the front).

Crazy rippling and what might be called cupping. The rear is fine. Overall, the performance of the PR5 is awesome. But the front is tore up after 3K, and that's not OK. I'll post a pic when I get around to it.

The main factor is apparently heat and users aren't reporting the issues in cooler climes.
I experienced this on the 4. Nasty wear and the feeling I had pushing in corners kind of came through in what I saw with that pattern. Appeared as though the blocks of tread were shifting and the edges were pushed into the sipes.

Share more about what you consider hot weather please.

·
Registered
835 Posts

What pressures are you riding with, i have the PR5s on both the Multi and the 1290GT, the tires are awesome. 5000plus kms on both bikes on these tires. Best milage I've ever had on both bikes. The PR range need higher pressures compared to other brands. i run on both bikes cold 34-35F 37-38R

101 - 120 of 143 Posts