Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 100 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The beads were a mild PITA being we have the angled stem in front and both are angled on the R1, i'll try the R1 next weekend and get some feedback on the beads there too.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Have you done any M7RR rears? That think was stupid soft, now i get why guys suggest super high track pressures for them.

I did 2 sets last weekend the M7RR to Road 5 on the multi and Evo Slicks back to Power RS on my R1M.
Yes. I put a set on a friends EBR RX and he loves them. I don't recall them being any softer than the RS's, which I've been doing more of lately. Some of those cruiser tires are brutal!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yes. I put a set on a friends EBR RX and he loves them. I don't recall them being any softer than the RS's, which I've been doing more of lately. Some of those cruiser tires are brutal!
I hear you there, my neighbors Harley rear was insane. Plus tubes.......come on now, it's 2018......

·
Registered
843 Posts
Have you done any M7RR rears? That think was stupid soft, now i get why guys suggest super high track pressures for them.

I did 2 sets last weekend the M7RR to Road 5 on the multi and Evo Slicks back to Power RS on my R1M.
32f 32r on the 1290 on the track, they work just fine. 34f and36r on the road mostly. PR5s I'm running 35f 37r. all cold psi. The first pic is the M7RR, second pic is of the PR5 after bedding it in on 440Kms of wet road riding (no choice) and I'm super impressed with the PR5s wet and cold weather day grip, almost got it to the edge on the first decent road ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
Great tire, now we'll see about mileage

Just did 1300+ miles around Colorado...paved, dirt, wet, dry...the P5's did great in all conditions. I'm very pleased. Have to wait to see how many miles I'll get out of them.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
So I went for a ride with friends to WV33. If you are not familiar, here's a vid to show conditions.

The pace was as fast as I'd like to go on public roads. 0:) We rode it pretty aggressive. The Road5's felt excellent. Very very different from last years ride on the same road. This time was very confidence inspiring. Not once did I feel any protest or loss of grip or "squirm" as I felt on the 4's.
Also glad to see I still have some tire in reserve, as we were riding about 80%.

We did hit wet conditions twice on this 500+ mile ride. While I did not test limits, grip was pretty much as it was in the dry. No drama.

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
Im enjoying the PR5s, have them on both my grunters, and with the warmer weather I'm starting to explore the edge grip, and they pass with flying colours.

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
I switched my paper thin 8,000 mile Angel GTs on my Multi and 10,000 mile PR3 on my Street Triple last weekend and went with Road 5 on both bikes, at least for the wet season. It was a long Sunday learning how to use my newly acquired No-Mar Classic effectively plus some grief getting the front wheel of the triple to re-align correctly.

On Friday a group of us went over the mountains to eastern Washington and had a blast. The Road 5 were great, my Multi handles better and is much more stable; not entirely shocking considering the state of the tires I took off. I had two tiny slips on the rear, one left and one right, not surprising since the tires were pristine and we were pushing along. Overall, very happy with them, although the bike is at least 1/2" taller now...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I switched my paper thin 8,000 mile Angel GTs on my Multi and 10,000 mile PR3 on my Street Triple last weekend and went with Road 5 on both bikes, at least for the wet season.
Hey! I didn't expect to find another Multistrada/ST3 owner here. The ven diagram of Multistrada and Street Triple owners is pretty small I'd imagine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey! I didn't expect to find another Multistrada/ST3 owner here. The ven diagram of Multistrada and Street Triple owners is pretty small I'd imagine.
Indeed. The Multi is a bit of tank around town for me, the ST3R is much easier and a fun hooligan bike. Unfortunately my son is back home at present so I don't get to ride it much :frown2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
3rd rear on 2015 multi

I am getting ready for my 3rd Michelin rear about 6,000 miles on it now. In August we rode to the Sturgis rally and Rocky Mountain national park and down thru Denver and Kansas then back home to Nashville. Also made a quick trip to the Dragon in Sept and in Santa Rosa, Fl now heading back to Tennessee soon. Have ridden thru lots of rain and curvy roads no problems. Tires have been great!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Some final early thoughts on the Road 5:

As I noted earlier, I'm very happy with them on my MTS. I did a tour of the Alps in the summer on a S1000XR with relatively fresh Pirelli Scorpion Trail II on it. Solid rain the first day and dry for the remaining 10 days. We pushed hard, no issues at all with the bikes handling (I would gripe about other things). When I got home, I was very unhappy on my MTS, comparitively it felt very sloppy, the front was light and the back was moving around. Replacing its worn out Angel GT with the fresh Road 5 has improved things considerably, however I haven't ridden much in the rain yet.

In comparison, my son seems to be less happy on the ST3R than he was with the PR3 that I took off. Dry performance is good but, he says, he's far less confident of their wet performance having had both the front and rear slip several times, especially when changing lanes on the freeway and on painted lines. He thinks the front also follows lines in the pavement more. Michelin recommends 36PSI in the front for the ST3R which is higher than the Triumph default of 34PSI for its OEM Pirelli Rosso so he's trying that out.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Some final early thoughts on the Road 5:

As I noted earlier, I'm very happy with them on my MTS. I did a tour of the Alps in the summer on a S1000XR with relatively fresh Pirelli Scorpion Trail II on it. Solid rain the first day and dry for the remaining 10 days. We pushed hard, no issues at all with the bikes handling (I would gripe about other things). When I got home, I was very unhappy on my MTS, comparitively it felt very sloppy, the front was light and the back was moving around. Replacing its worn out Angel GT with the fresh Road 5 has improved things considerably, however I haven't ridden much in the rain yet.

In comparison, my son seems to be less happy on the ST3R than he was with the PR3 that I took off. Dry performance is good but, he says, he's far less confident of their wet performance having had both the front and rear slip several times, especially when changing lanes on the freeway and on painted lines. He thinks the front also follows lines in the pavement more. Michelin recommends 36PSI in the front for the ST3R which is higher than the Triumph default of 34PSI for its OEM Pirelli Rosso so he's trying that out.
So you have a 5 rear, what’s up front?
For me, the pr3 & pr4’s siping, which is great for rain performance, promoted the squirmy feel. As the tire is pushed, those tread blocks move over a bit to lean on the next row. This is evident when inspecting the wear pattern (again, when pushed in the dry). I have pics of it on my laptop if you’d like to see, but I’d guess you may have already experienced it. For this reason, I was never a fan. Left a very uneasy and confidence sapping feeling. Not whatcha want in your rubber. The 5’s on the other hand, have near slick edges for a very stable and solid grip feel.
That said, I had a Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa front (2 or 3, can’t remember) on my MTS when I bought it. It was excellent! If I could afford rubber that frequently, I’d run them.

·
Registered
383 Posts
So you have a 5 rear, what’s up front?
Road 5 front and rear, both bikes; sorry, I realize my comment on pressures and Rosso's might have been misleading.

For me, the pr3 & pr4’s siping, which is great for rain performance, promoted the squirmy feel. As the tire is pushed, those tread blocks move over a bit to lean on the next row. This is evident when inspecting the wear pattern (again, when pushed in the dry). I have pics of it on my laptop if you’d like to see, but I’d guess you may have already experienced it. For this reason, I was never a fan. Left a very uneasy and confidence sapping feeling. Not whatcha want in your rubber. The 5’s on the other hand, have near slick edges for a very stable and solid grip feel.
That said, I had a Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa front (2 or 3, can’t remember) on my MTS when I bought it. It was excellent! If I could afford rubber that frequently, I’d run them.
Agree on the PR3; I never ran PR4 on my MTS because I wasn't happy with the feel of the PR3 on the ST3R, instead I went Angel GT which I liked for most of their life. However with 8k miles on them, they were getting square and very thin, hence the Road 5 for the fall/winter/spring rain in the PNW.

I also splashed on a No-Mar Classic so I expect we'll be experimenting again come the summer :smile2:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a 13 MTS that i have been through the original Pirelli Scorpion Trail in about 2500 miles. Then went to the PR 3, Pirelli Angel GT, and PR4, and now PR5. I find the PR5 to be the best of all of them. I average about 4-6 thousand miles on a rear with a new front about every 8. Keep in mind once I get into the wear bars they are gone.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, I bought this Road 5 and mounted it last May. Unfortunately, I did not track what mileage I had at that time. However, I know I put about 7,500 miles on the bike since March of last year so I believe I got 5,000 - 6,000 miles out of this tire.

58430264_464980654241892_6601444160782204928_n.jpg

With Florida being so flat and straight, you really burn through the middle of tires. While I'm pretty happy with the mileage, I went ahead and bought a Battleax T31 since Bridgestone had a sale this month.

81 - 100 of 151 Posts