Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 80 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Its not hard with a bike like that ;)
Yeah the 1290 is deceptively fast, dam, one more ticket and ill be walking, 100 demerit points over 2 years is 28 day loss of licence, that ticket was 40 points to go with my christmas 35 points. Gutted, i got caught mid corner, so no warning time from my radar detector.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
So a few days ago I spent some quality time 2-up with the 5's. I can ride pretty aggressive with my wife in tow as she doesn't protest much. :smile2: The tires were completely predictable. I never felt the squirm the 4's gave me. I still feel this tire is as close to a hyper-sport tire as I've been on. Wear looks great although I haven't racked up lots of miles yet. The weather and my work schedule have been relentless.

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
The tires were completely predictable. I never felt the squirm the 4's gave me.
Good to know... I've got a set of PR4's that I bought while touring and I like the durability but not the squirm. Once I finish those off I'll give the 5's a try on the stock wheels.

For daily use tires I'm moving toward stickier - will likely mount something a bit more Diablo Corsa'ish on the BST's when my AGT's are done - just to try them out.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Good to know... I've got a set of PR4's that I bought while touring and I like the durability but not the squirm. Once I finish those off I'll give the 5's a try on the stock wheels.

For daily use tires I'm moving toward stickier - will likely mount something a bit more Diablo Corsa'ish on the BST's when my AGT's are done - just to try them out.
I bought my MTS with a Diablo Corsa III on the front. It was excellent! The Angel line had too much negative feedback for me to commit, and I didn't want full sport tires. I need more mileage.

20170325_154016.jpg

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
Try the Diablo Rossa III. Almost the equal of the Corsa with almost the mileage of the Angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
As of today, I have roughly 1600 miles on my set of 5’s. Measurements show 2/32’s wear on the top of the rear tire. I haven’t ridden any roads to eliminate the unused edge strip yet. Looking forward to though. I’ve given the Multi a thorough blast on my local roads and commute. I’m beyond what should be run on public roads so, still very happy.

Today I put a new set on a friends MTS. You can definitely see the different compounds, even when new.

He also decided to try the beads from my recommendation.

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
Fitted a pair of PR5s on my 1290GT, and they feel great, just fitted a set on the Multi, and did a100Km back road ride, some damp corners some dry, the front tire is excellent, a big step forward from the 4s, the rear has very good low speed hard execration grip, poping nice wheelies, edge grip i haven't fully tested, i tried on my GT and got a speeding ticket, so over all very happy. BUT, there is a BUT, these tires flick up a hell of a lot of road gunge, far more than any other tire I've used. Just gotta wash the bike after every ride i guess. Happy with the tire tho.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
As of today, I have roughly 1600 miles on my set of 5’s. Measurements show 2/32’s wear on the top of the rear tire. I haven’t ridden any roads to eliminate the unused edge strip yet. Looking forward to though. I’ve given the Multi a thorough blast on my local roads and commute. I’m beyond what should be run on public roads so, still very happy.

Today I put a new set on a friends MTS. You can definitely see the different compounds, even when new.

He also decided to try the beads from my recommendation.
Where do you get these beads? Any brand over another? I really want to try some as i change my own tires, and Michelin doesn't use a valve stem reference like most brands. I usually line up the bar code on the inside and call it good.

Reactions: Wolverine1

·
19,072 Posts
Shaking a dead chicken over the wheel works better and is easier and cheaper. But you do need a new dead chicken for each tire change. :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
OK, so $396 is not bad for materials. $120 is whole bike, likely includes disposal and misc charges. No state taxes here.
Many dealerships that I know will install them for free if you purchase the tires from them, which are usually higher than what you could get someplace else. Then you just have to do the math. Since my bike is my only ride, bringing in the wheel is not an option. It's pretty much remove and install while I wait.

Been a life long Michelin rider. Eventually will switch over to the 5's from the 4's. Does this mean they are discontinuing the 4's? Hopefully the price will be discounted if so.

·
Sophomore Member
2,888 Posts
I put a set of 5s on my Super Duke GT. I've been a big fan of the PR2s. I wasn't crazy about the PR3s (couldn't get up to temp in cold weather). I haven't had much time on the PR4s. The 5s have great grip, but wore faster than expected. I was loaded up and did quite a bit of interstate and highway. I was on the wear bars at 5700 miles. I'm used to getting closer to 7000 miles in similar conditions. Also, a GT spec tire is needed. The sidewalls were too soft. The SDGT is a midweight bike and was felt a bit wallowy at lean.

Also, don't waste your time with balancing beads. As Duckman said, a dead chicken is more effective.

·
19,072 Posts
Well scrubbed the PR5s tires in but, fukit got a big speeding ticket.

This is definitely a “Picture Of The Day”! LOL. :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I can run the multi to 150 and have no vibration from balance issues (had them in for the life of my pr4’s too). I put the beads in a friend’s BMW and he has no issues. I’ve put them in many a customers tires at work. Guess ymmv.. I’ve never had anyone come back, nor had an issue myself. YMMV.

·
19,072 Posts
Try this. Take the magic beads out. Shake a dead chicken over the wheel. Retest fir balance and report back. :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Where do you get these beads? Any brand over another? I really want to try some as i change my own tires, and Michelin doesn't use a valve stem reference like most brands. I usually line up the bar code on the inside and call it good.
I work at a motorcycle shop, so I get them through there. Here's the brand (vid @ bottom): https://beadbuster.com/product/tire-balancing-beads/

Last thing I wanna do is turn this into a debate about how you balance your wheels/tires. To each his own. I can only talk from my experience (mounted and balanced 244 tires last season).

·
Registered
843 Posts
This is definitely a “Picture Of The Day”! LOL. :)

$300 fine and 40 demerit points later. Not a nice picture for the Dave......He's now miserable, too many speeding tickets lately, one more and I'm walking for 3 months. Now everytime i ride, every car looks like a cop car. I spend more time looking for cops than looking at the road.:frown2:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I just got 250 miles on the 5's yesterday. SO much more neutral than the M7RR's i had on her. It's funny all the talk of soft sidewall from the bigger bike guys. I mount my stuff by hand and the M7RR rear carcass was incredibly soft, along with sidewall. That tire practically fell off the wheel.

I noticed my rear weights flung off at some point in the last year, so i went with the beads as my bubble balancer is MIA. Bike ran smooth as glass.

No rain test yet, but dry grip is a step above the Pr4's for sure.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I just got 250 miles on the 5's yesterday. SO much more neutral than the M7RR's i had on her. It's funny all the talk of soft sidewall from the bigger bike guys. I mount my stuff by hand and the M7RR rear carcass was incredibly soft, along with sidewall. That tire practically fell off the wheel.

I noticed my rear weights flung off at some point in the last year, so i went with the beads as my bubble balancer is MIA. Bike ran smooth as glass.

No rain test yet, but dry grip is a step above the Pr4's for sure.
Trust me, Michelins are very soft sidewall. Last season I mounted 244 I believe. Bridgestone are on the other end of the spectrum.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Trust me, Michelins are very soft sidewall. Last season I mounted 244 I believe. Bridgestone are on the other end of the spectrum.

Have you done any M7RR rears? That think was stupid soft, now i get why guys suggest super high track pressures for them.

I did 2 sets last weekend the M7RR to Road 5 on the multi and Evo Slicks back to Power RS on my R1M.

61 - 80 of 161 Posts