Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Ordered and paid for two sets of PR5s on saturday, should get delivered today (monday), the wheels are already off the 1290 in ready, fitting them on both bikes, but firstly on the 1290GT, if for any reason i don't like them i can switch them to the Multi, but i know I'm going to enjoy these tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Was looking at PR5 and all the positive feedback, but on Michelin's website they state that the PR5 is for lighter bikes and recommend PR4 until heavier duty PR5 comes out in 2019.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Was looking at PR5 and all the positive feedback, but on Michelin's website they state that the PR5 is for lighter bikes and recommend PR4 until heavier duty PR5 comes out in 2019.
PR5s on a middle weight bike (multi/GT1290) 36F-38R heavy weight bike 38F-40R.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
I've tried all of the Pilot Road series on my ST3.

PR2 - Pretty good. Came up a bit short in the wet. Still wore disproportionately in the centre on long trips.
But in the dry, on good surface, with good temperature, they were great.
I'd go so far as to say that the best ever combination on my ST3 was a PR2 on the rear + a Pilot Power on the front.

ALSO - I did try the PR2 S, on the rear. These had an extra 2 plies in the walls, and were supposedly designed for 2 up touring, with luggage etc. I ran these with 40 P.S.I. and they were GOOD.

PR3 - Rear not as good as the PR2's. Wore out in about 60-70% of what the PR2's got.
Front EXCELLENT in the wet, but they "scalloped" really badly, and were buggered in about the same time as the rear.

PR4 - Not impressed at all. The bike feels "squirmish". Does not impart any confidence.

PR5 - When the Scorpions on my 1200S are getting towards replacement, I will be watching very closely the opinions in this
thread. I've always been a "Michelin Man" but the PR4's have left me a bit cold, and pondering other options.

Reactions: suruppak

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
PR4 - Not impressed at all. The bike feels "squirmish". Does not impart any confidence.

I've always been a "Michelin Man" but the PR4's have left me a bit cold, and pondering other options.
I'd like to say, I felt the exact same way about the 4's and I was on the fence. I almost tried the Metz Z8 after many many miles with the Z line on previous bikes. I decided to give the 5 a go. The near slick edge and reduction in the small straight siping lines helped sway me. In my mind, the space between blocks allowed them to move, closing the gap, causing the squirm feel. You can see where the trailing edge is scalloped up. Nothing underneath that spot with the gap closed? Makes logical sense to me.

So, don't judge the 5 based on your 4 experience. [So far] it's been an awesome tire!

Attachments

·
Smut peddler
1,004 Posts
I just got done with a set of PR4's, 10,700 miles. As stated, the siping kind of became an issue with me. I don't really think I was actually close to losing the front in hard cornering, but it kind of felt loose. And even though I got a ton of miles out of them, they became buzzy from the cupping at around 5-6k miles. So I switched to the Dunlop roadsmart 3, and couldn't be happier. They seem to make the bike so much more flickable than before, it just seems lighter. Not to mention, after the rebate, they were $260 out the door for the set. I already bought another set for the tardo. Maybe after I hear more on the pr5, or the Dunlop don't wear well, I'll try Michelin again.

·
Hammer Down
1,636 Posts
The only negative feedback I've seen on these tires so far is some fella on one of the Bookface motorcycle groups I'm in. He complained about the front washing out, the rear sliding out...purely judgmental on my part but when I read that I immediately discounted it as fodder and moved on.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I’m past 10k miles on my PR4s, still have good tread on them, just got back from a long trip with the wife and bags on board. Love them.

Had the oil changed at the dealer the other day, they quoted $396 materials and $120 labor for a set of Road 5. Does that sound in line with dealer pricing? Seems like I paid three something for Angel GTs on my last bike.

·
Hammer Down
1,636 Posts
Revzilla has the tires for $370 so maybe your dealer is adding tax? $120 for labor...is that for bringing the whole bike in or just the wheels? Seems pricey.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Revzilla has the tires for $370 so maybe your dealer is adding tax? $120 for labor...is that for bringing the whole bike in or just the wheels? Seems pricey.
OK, so $396 is not bad for materials. $120 is whole bike, likely includes disposal and misc charges. No state taxes here.

·
Hammer Down
1,636 Posts
OK, so $396 is not bad for materials. $120 is whole bike, likely includes disposal and misc charges. No state taxes here.
Probably not out of line. I recall dealers (a few years back) charging about $35/tire IF you brought just the wheels so $120 for dropping the bike off doesn't seem high.

·
Registered
843 Posts
$500 for a set here 190/55, thats if you hunt around, plus $40 fitting loose wheels, $80 if on a bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on what is considered light and heavy for PR5. Decided to try Metzler Tourance Next tires - do spend time on dirt roads and have had punctures on last two Scorpion Trail 2 rear tires. Didn't seem to many people riding PR5 on dirt roads.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
$500 for a set here 190/55, thats if you hunt around, plus $40 fitting loose wheels, $80 if on a bike.
I paid $317.02, which is cost, just to give you an idea on markup. My boss allows me to buy stuff for what he pays. Perks of the job. :wink2:

41 - 60 of 151 Posts