Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my first pair of Michelin PR4s on my Multi, with about 4,000 mi. on them so far. They look good at this point, but I’m getting ready to leave on a 2,000-mi. trip in a couple of weeks, and I don’t want to have to replace tires midway if I can avoid it. Can I reasonably expect to get 6,000 miles from PR4s?

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Really hard to say, not knowing what riding you have done for the last 4k.
The nice thing about the PR4 is that there are wear indicators in the center of the tread.
Get a tread depth gauge and measure around the center. If 2/32's, s/b OK, if less, and if you are doing a lot of straight roads, iffy.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
I've not heard of anyone killing PR4's in 6,000 miles... but I'm sure it's possible if you try hard enough. In general folks get 10k+ from PR4's.

As indicated... check your tread depth if you're not sure, my PR4's at 4k still looked like new (had not even developed any scalloping or uneven wear).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking for - a ballpark range, realizing that everyone's experience varies. These are my first pair of PR4s and I don't know what's normal. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Like tripod says it's really difficult to say.

I've never gotten more than 7k miles out of mine.

I would measure tread depth. When new it's 9mm if I'm not wrong.

How much do you weight? Riding 2up etc... those factors make a difference. Riding dirt (that chews up tires).

Your best bet is to ride the shit out of the bike before your trip so u'll definitely need new tires. Problem solved. :)

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Well I'm doing something wrong (or right)...I got about 5k miles out of the rear and 5,500 out of the front PR4 but it was bald on the sides at that point. So only about 300-800 more miles than I got on a set of Angel GTs. Normally, I don't let tires get bald at all...when they hit the wear indicator I replace them. I was on a trip and wasn't on the wear bars on the front (rear was already replaced) and by the end of the trip (about 500 miles or so) I was past the wear bars on the sides.

ETA: I ride on road, rarely with full luggage but always with top case. I live in N. GA and previously Upstate SC so I'm in the twisties nearly anytime I ride. On my last set of PR4s, I weighed between 200 & 220 lbs. By under 11k miles on this bike I was on my 3rd set of tires.

2nd ETA: I see you're in Athens...where ya headed?

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Well I'm doing something wrong (or right)...I got about 5k miles out of the rear and 5,500 out of the front PR4 but it was bald on the sides at that point. So only about 300-800 more miles than I got on a set of Angel GTs. Normally, I don't let tires get bald at all...when they hit the wear indicator I replace them. I was on a trip and wasn't on the wear bars on the front (rear was already replaced) and by the end of the trip (about 500 miles or so) I was past the wear bars on the sides.

ETA: I ride on road, rarely with full luggage but always with top case. I live in N. GA and previously Upstate SC so I'm in the twisties nearly anytime I ride. On my last set of PR4s, I weighed between 200 & 220 lbs. By under 11k miles on this bike I was on my 3rd set of tires.

2nd ETA: I see you're in Athens...where ya headed?
I wonder if the hotter temps down there affect anything... but I suspect you're just hammering it harder than we do. I don't like the PR4's for hard riding - they don't feel good to me (squirmy and lots of tc engagement). I generally only get 4,000 miles out of AGT's but part of that is that they feel stickier so I ride them harder.

I'm actually going back to AGT's for that reason on my next set... I didn't get the Multi to 'take it easy' - the PR4's will be reserved for long distance touring (>4k mile rides)

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
I recall your thoughts on them in a different thread. I don't get a ton more mileage out of them than the GTs but you get less mileage out of the GT than I did so who knows.

I'm think Angel GTs for the next set as well...unless there's a PR5 by then and I'll be tempted.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
I recall your thoughts on them in a different thread. I don't get a ton more mileage out of them than the GTs but you get less mileage out of the GT than I did so who knows.

I'm think Angel GTs for the next set as well...unless there's a PR5 by then and I'll be tempted.
I also have a completely untested theory about pavement surfaces too... I mounted my first PR4 rear in San Diego on my trip and proceeded to ride it up the coast and then East to the Dakotas - 5,000 miles or so. I stopped in Deadwood for lunch and recall being impressed that there was so little wear on it, and that it was still nice and round (usually touring I get a flat top on the rear). Well a day later I stopped after riding through the badlands and then on this REALLY grippy (almost like a course grit sandpaper) road through the Rosebud Indian reservation and the rear had a pronounced flat spot on the top. I went from being impressed with its wear to worrying I was going to need a new rear before I got back to NY. After that I monitored wear closely but it had again gone back to 'not much', I made it back and even rode that tire for another couple weeks before swapping it out.

I think the pavement I rode on that day sandpapered the crap out of the rear, combo of a LOT of weight (me and a lot of gear) and the texture of the road. No real data to support it... but it seemed really striking how much wear appeared in so little time (more so because when touring all the wear timelines are crazy compressed).

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
In N. GA and much of the region we have decent roads but I do wonder if riding through the winter on roads after they've been sanded increases wear on the tire? The grains of sand want to slip but the tire hangs on to whatever bit of road it can...probably a fallacy. I have been impressed with how well the PR4 keeps round...the Angel GT that came on the bike wasn't quite as good in that area.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I got 8k on the front until I got it replaced with another P4. Still have the P4 rear, pushing 9k and looks like I'll get at least 10k out of it. Doesn't matter which bike I ride, I always wear out my fronts first before the rear.

I may have one of the most demanding riding experiences than most riders. My riding includes interstate & highway slabs to very spirited rides through very technical twisties in the hills to daily commutes (I don't have a car) to participating in Motogymkhana events and participate in many police drill type riding and even slow ride competitions. But no track, you got me there.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've not heard of anyone killing PR4's in 6,000 miles... but I'm sure it's possible if you try hard enough. In general folks get 10k+ from PR4's.
I'm in the club. After a return from a 2,087mi 5 day trip with my wife, my rear PR4 is all but toast at 5,300 mi! We packed very light, top case was near empty.

I don't like the PR4's for hard riding - they don't feel good to me (squirmy and lots of tc engagement).
I agree and had the exact same opinion. After our trip to the Robbinsville area, I felt a bit better about their grip. Not once did the front slip or wash out, and I was pretty aggressive for pr4's. Makes me think it's mostly the horrible road conditions here in south central Pa.

Mine scalloped, see attached img.

Attachments

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'm in the club. After a return from a 2,087mi 5 day trip with my wife, my rear PR4 is all but toast at 5,300 mi! We packed very light, top case was near empty.

I agree and had the exact same opinion. After our trip to the Robbinsville area, I felt a bit better about their grip. Not once did the front slip or wash out, and I was pretty aggressive for pr4's. Makes me think it's mostly the horrible road conditions here in south central Pa.

Mine scalloped, see attached img.
Are you referring to the edge of the tread-grove rounding off Wolf, thats more to do with the Rebound speed. my PR4s are wearing the same, with the other side of the tread-grove hooking up. when i ride the Multi in sport mode, it cleans the tire up nicely. Soft suspension is very hard on tires when you ride the bike like a sports bike.

Reactions: DaveK

·
Registered
503 Posts
Are you referring to the edge of the tread-grove rounding off Wolf, thats more to do with the Rebound speed. my PR4s are wearing the same, with the other side of the tread-grove hooking up. when i ride the Multi in sport mode, it cleans the tire up nicely. Soft suspension is very hard on tires when you ride the bike like a sports bike.
I was in sport mode riding those roads (typically 2up w/ bags preload). One called the Cherohala Skyway is pool table smooth with lots of long fast sweepers, not much suspension travel going on.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I've been through 2 sets, 8200 ish out of rear, about half loaded, 2 up at 90 indicated on freeway, the rest curves, and around 10,000-11,000 fronts.

Reactions: Wolverine1

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
I was in sport mode riding those roads (typically 2up w/ bags preload). One called the Cherohala Skyway is pool table smooth with lots of long fast sweepers, not much suspension travel going on.
After riding Cherohala I've absolutely no idea why anyone would bother with TotD... what a blast and I rode it with a ton of gear on the bike for a long trip.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I got 8k on the front until I got it replaced with another P4. Still have the P4 rear, pushing 9k and looks like I'll get at least 10k out of it. Doesn't matter which bike I ride, I always wear out my fronts first before the rear.

I may have one of the most demanding riding experiences than most riders. My riding includes interstate & highway slabs to very spirited rides through very technical twisties in the hills to daily commutes (I don't have a car) to participating in Motogymkhana events and participate in many police drill type riding and even slow ride competitions. But no track, you got me there.
I have an old NC 29 Cbr 400RR, I go through 2 fronts to 1 rear, at 62 horse to the wheel and I believe 28 ft/pds, 375 pounds dripping wet.

On the Duc and r1 with all the torque i'm more slow/medium in, fast out, so I shred rears 2/1 rear front.

Reactions: DaveK

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
I have an old NC 29 Cbr 400RR, I go through 2 fronts to 1 rear, at 62 horse to the wheel and I believe 28 ft/pds, 375 pounds dripping wet.

On the Duc and r1 with all the torque i'm more slow/medium in, fast out, so I shred rears 2/1 rear front.
I wondered if my ham fist was the reason for my nearly 2 rear to 1 front ratio on AGT's... now I know that if my Multi only had 30 lbft my rear tire would last forever. Ahh well... guess I'll just have to live with it. ;-)

Reactions: fastrob691

·
Registered
883 Posts
I generally wear tires out front and rear evenly, may be a few Ks still left on the front, but i swap them as a pair. i love a new front tire, and i really love these roadtec 01s.

Reactions: fastrob691
1 - 20 of 59 Posts