Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my 2012 MTS was riding on a gravel road yesterday and a sharp rock (I guess) punctured the rear tire, the OEM Scorpions. I have 3k on them.

I like to ride on gravel roads often, but also want the tire to perform reasonably on pavement ...

Any comments between these two options? I have reviewed some of the old tire threads, but am still not sure ... I also noted Continental Trail Attack ...

Thanks,
Doug

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
On my 2012 MTS was riding on a gravel road yesterday and a sharp rock (I guess) punctured the rear tire, the OEM Scorpions. I have 3k on them.

I like to ride on gravel roads often, but also want the tire to perform reasonably on pavement ...

Any comments between these two options? I have reviewed some of the old tire threads, but am still not sure ... I also noted Continental Trail Attack ...

Thanks,
Doug
Well it does not look like either will be an option for you since they don't come in sizes that will actually fit a 1200 multi....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I should have looked at size options. The dealer mentioned the anakee 2 ...

It looks like PR3s (non-trail) might be the best choice I suppose?

/Doug

·
Registered
408 Posts
You didn't say what kind of riding you do- what percentage is on/off road. If you are going to be on pavement 100% of the time, the PR3s are superior (though they did get me through some dirt roads on my last North Carolina trip).

The stock Scorpions were described as a 90% road, 10% dirt tire.

Dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like to ride gravel roads 20% of the time ... pavement 80%.
/Doug

·
Registered
442 Posts
I’ve found the stock Scorpions to be the most fragile, delicate tires I’ve had a on a motor vehicle in several decades. To include the Pirelli Scorpions that came OEM on my truck.

I’ve pretty much standardized on PR2’s for all my road bikes. (Not much use for PR3’s here in southern Arizona) A few weeks ago my GF and I did the Mogollon Rim Road, which is 55 miles of nasty-ass Arizona hardscrabble. Kind of like riding on a road made from the blades of a wood chipper. All 4 PR2’s came through without a nick. It was pretty amusing to see the looks on the faces of the few other riders out (all of whom were on dedicated dirt bikes) as we blasted by on what, in their eyes, were gigantic road bikes.

Unless you are doing a lot serious mud, I would guess that PR2/3’s would serve you well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Trail Attacks on my Hyper and they have been great. I know there are better dirt options, however I am less concerned about traction and more about durability with respect to rock punctures. I ride about 90% road and 10% trails/fire roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
692 Posts
Anakee 2's on my GSA and I'm on my 5th, 6th set. Great tires for that bike. I use it for 2 up and long distance travel, get to be a hooligan with it every once in a while and it holds up fine. Very seldom in gravel with the pig but it's been ok there.

If you don't ask for much high speed (other than highway) performance I'd bet you'd like 'em. I do wonder about the weight difference between the two bikes though. GSA is pushing 600# with gas. Maybe be a bit stiff on the MTS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts