Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's soon time for a new pair of tires for my 996 SPS. I've run Bridgestone BT016's the last 4 yrs on my 748. Happy with the Bridgestone's but want something different for the 996.

Michelin claims their Power Pure tires save as much as 2 pounds over similar tires.
Does anybody have any experience with the Power Pure?

Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
I imagine if you asked the world's most interesting man this question, his response would be similar to that of what he thought of rollerblades.

Dunlop Q2's

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had pirelli, metzeler and michelin on my bike. I have stayed with michelin pilot pure for the last two tires because at about the same performance like pirelli, michelin are cheaper, and 2compound is better for twisties and highway combination. True that till now I have ride only on the street, no trackdays. I think pilot pure deserve a try.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,892 Posts
I love them & they are good in the wet too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just put them (power pure) on my 999. 500 km in and they are great. Plenty of grip so far and little wear.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just worn a set out on my Gsxr1000. ;) ( Street riding.)

Very light tyre. Once fitted to bike you can tell the difference right away. Good grip wet and dry. With loads of feel.

Power pure. Very good tyre IMO.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Excellent tires. I have a set on my street Duc and I like them. However, they are only 2 lbs lighter than the real pigs, like the Dunlop Q2. They are not much lighter than some Pirellis or Michelin's other tires (I weighed a bunch of different tires at Cycle Gear for comparison before I bought the Pures).

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Rode them at a CA Superbike School on my 916, I'm still a track novice but they never put a foot wrong all day, loved them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Are any other tires out there similar in weight, but have better grip or wear?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Nope. From what ive seen the Pure's are the best in their niche, and i found wet weather performance to be outstanding. You can do track days on them up to expert pace, then they'll start sliding some, but only really fast pace.

My bud is a mid level B group rider, has 3 track days and 3500 miles on his and they look great. I was at 4200 miles on mine on my 08 Cbr 1000RR and they had an easy 2000 miles left on them, + 2 track days.

I started sliding them when i got within 10 seconds of the lap record at the track we run at( Inde Motorsports Ranch, AZ) and mounted power one races.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I've had them on my 999 for 2 yrs now and they still look great! I'm at 3800 miles to date and the rear has held up very well.
They have a nice profile too-round, not pointy..

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I have them on the 996 and my Aprilia. Before that on a GSXR 7/11. Even on a HD Sportster. Yes, like them well enough. Had Pirelli and Avons. The Avons were the better of those two and cheaper. (I was out of work) Now that I'm working steady its back to the Power Pure. Great tire, very good in the wet, wear long too.

·
Registered
589 Posts
How well do the Pures keep their grip after they started to wear? As in have gone through quite a few heat cycles.

I ran Michelins (mostly Power and Power 2ct) for many years. I was happy with the grip until the tire was worn (past 50%). Then they always got very greasy - much less predictable and less grip.

I like the weight of the Pure but what is it like as it starts to get worn?

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I have never experienced the greasiness you speak of. Ran one set right to the cord and didnt feel any unexpected slips. (rear tire) That said I imagine it could happen just hasnt happened to me.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,892 Posts
What pressures you running?

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
^^^ I run 36 F and 42 R on the street with my Pures. On the track I usually run 26F 24R.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
^^^ I run 36 F and 42 R on the street with my Pures. On the track I usually run 26F 24R.
Not sure that was directed to me but ditto.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Wow, that's a big gap between street and track. I was running much higher pressures on my three trackdays. Maybe that why I'm so slow...

I have over 3500 on the set on my 999 and the rear is in very good shape. I've got some cupping on the front, but that may have been caused by running too low pressure on the street? I was getting very slow turn in with 32 in the front and pumped it up to 34. Handles much better at this pressure, but I'm going to try 36 today. More than other tires, the Pures seem to be very sensitive to pressure levels due to the light weight construction. That's the only reason I can think of not to recommend them: if you don't like monitoring your tire pressure closely. Otherwise, great tire, will likely get another pair when these are shot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts