Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently switched over to Michelin PR4's and was hoping that I could get some advice about tire pressures. Michelin recommends 2.5 Bar front and back which is 36 PSI. They seem a little rough on some of the sharper bumps and was considering lowering the front down to around 32 PSI. I'm slightly nervous about overworking the front tire. My DVT is my first non-sport bike and this thing is a little porky. On previous bikes I wouldn't even think twice about it as I have always had good luck running lower pressures on Michelins.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have many miles logged at 32F/36R with pilot road 4s on my 14PP - your DVT shouldn't behave too much differently. Those pressures worked great for hard twisties, rain, highway, and goaty stuff.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well shit, I'm running those same tires at 38/40.
I should add: I monitor pressures with my garmin TPMS setup, which does pressure readings to the head unit about every 8-10 seconds or so. Spirited riding in twisties, on a normal 80-90deg day, goes up to 37-38psi in the front, and about 42-46psi in the rear. Freeway riding at that same temp is usually 36/38psi in the front, 40-42psi rear. Those pressures, cold and hot, work fine for me.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The Michelin range of tyres are of light side wall construction, so they are very pressure sensitive, i think 32 would be too low for that tyre, metzlers Bridgestones and pirellis can handle a 32psi for road riding, but i would be more inclinded to be 36f-38 rear on the PR4s. Remember these PR4s are a Touring tyre.

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
Although I ran front PR2's at Michelins recommended 2.1bar they cupped, so I ran 34psi on future tyres without a problem, the rear I run at 36psi or more depending upon load.

The best idea is to learn Shazams method, it is the only way.

Craig

·
Registered
982 Posts
Although I ran front PR2's at Michelins recommended 2.1bar they cupped, so I ran 34psi on future tyres without a problem, the rear I run at 36psi or more depending upon load.

The best idea is to learn Shazams method, it is the only way.

Craig
That's a great point regarding the front tire cupping. I hear of that with more regularity with the Multis. I'm guessing the heavier nature of the bike, at least compared to the superbikes cause the front tires to cup. Keeping an eye on front tire pressure, erring on the high side, is probably a good thing to avoid cupping.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have run 36/38 since new and have fairly good results. I boost to 38/42 with full luggage/2up. Slight cupping on front but not noticeable in the handling. I have had these to the edge of sane street riding with no chicken strips and love them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts