Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forum for a concern such as this to no avail.

I have notice that I have a line just to the left of center on the rear tire. It is almost perfectly straight but has a slight movement to the right for about 2 inches before coming back to the left. Initially I thought that either I was spinning the tire during shifts or something was making contact with the tire other than the ground. I started off by raising the bike via bike stands to see if something was touching / dragging and there is nothing. I also looked at the swingarm, checking for signs of rubbing and there is nothing there either.

I would still think that I am spinning when I shift but honestly I have been taking it very easy and put almost 300 miles on the tire and the line is still there.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what to check or is this something with the tire.

Yeah, I have just over 3500 miles on the tire.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i know it doesnt help, and sorry to hijack.

but i loved these tyres on my r6 before.

so thought i'd put them on my sfs, i dont like um on it, i miss the pirelli's, i dont know why, just doesnt feel as nice. i could just be fussing tho.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
If you're talking about a thin dark line about 1/16" wide that common to the Michelins.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I got almost 8,000 out of my last set of Pures.

The line is common, something in the manufacturing. I had it on mine as well.

Though it was weird, so i checked my buds, he runs them on both his street and track bikes and has them too.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
My Pilot Power 2CTs have the line also, it's so thin I never noticed it until now...

·
Registered
115 Posts
When I was running them they had the line you speak of. Mine where definetly toasted @ 5,000km's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Imminent to has the line on my 848 and honestly hate these damn tires. Bought my bike used and it needed tires so I was talked into trying them by my Michelin tire rep. I have run Pirelli and metzeler in the past on my zx636 and compared to them these are junk. The front tire gives no feedback and handling is not confidence inspiring at all. I will not be using them in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
For some reason this has been a feature of Michelins since the first Pilot Powers.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I think it's a result of gluing both halves together...;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Rick,
I think your talking about the spot where the tire final lamination occurs.
I have seen this on several of my 2CT tires, but its never caused an issue.
One reason that this could get worse or cause an issue would be if your tire was mounted incorrectly and was not spinning in the correct direction. Assuming that is not the case you will be fine. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All, thanks for the feedback - feeling much better now about the tires. I love the feeling and confidence that I get from these tires. Now, time to go and start shopping for the rear tire as by the time January gets here I will need one. LOL

Happy riding to all - well for those that still can at this time of year. :)

BTW - I did try to upload pics but the forum doesn't allow you to upload straight from the computer into a post without going through a third party.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I thought the line was there on both sides because its a dual compound tyre It marks where the different compunds meet
Do you know which side is hard and which side is soft?...;)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I noticed this on a Michelin Power that I just replaced. I have replaced countless tires of various brands and I have never seen this before. :think:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts