Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for info on people's experience on using CT2s or Power Race for track / street riding. I do about 2000 a year 1/2 track 1/2 street back roads. I currently have the CT2s but am wondering if moving to the Race is worth it. Will the Race hold up with the heat cycles?

Also, I have been looking for what the ideal tire temp is for the track on both but cant find it anywhere.

I have a 06 999. Thanks

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
2CT's for what you describe, but if you are FAST on the track you will get to the edge of its limits with the 999.

I'm not a big fan on the Power race for street riding.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
2CT's make a great track day tire, especially if you are used to them on the street. Make an honest assessment of yourself though; If you're an average/moderately fast trackday rider, not a racer running at race-pace the 2CT's are fine and most likely the better choice over the Power Race. If you are a racer, you should be able to make tire choices on your own ;)

and, Yes, there are lots of other great choices available too as many other will chime in :)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Wouldn't you run into issues with cold tear on the pilot race tires on the street thus chewing through tires needlessly? Not to mention taking much longer to warm up your tires on the street than you would otherwise on the track?

Yeah, you said that you only put about 2k miles on the bike in a year, but even still...

I just got done with a set of 2CTs on my 900SS and absolutely loved them on the track. I would commute on them as well (might as well, the center of the tire wasn't getting any wear on the track...lol).

It was the great balance for a tire for street/track use. Trying out a set of Pirelli's on the 900ss now and have a set of Bridgestone 016's for the 749R to try as well (pulling the Power Race's off since I'm going to be riding the 749R on the street and don't yet have tire warmers for track use).

If you don't have warmers, aren't race tires pretty much a waste?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Jan, the warmers definitely help, with getting up to temp and maintaining temp before and between session. You can get race tires up to temp without warmers, but you gotta work them progressively for a few laps, then repeat every session. The worse part of race tires is they work great in a relatively narrow range of conditions and they wear quickly. Cold tearing on the street isn't a problem unless your doing some seriously illegal riding.

Many will argue their opinion on their choice of tire, which is absolutely fine. I've had alot of experience with the Pilot Power and 2CT. In my opinion, it's an excellent all-around tire that works very well on the street and trackdays.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Go with the 2CT's for street and track.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sticking with the 2CTs.

What are people doing for cold lbs at the track? I am doing 28 on 70-80's degree days, 29-30 on days over 90.

Does anyone focus on hot tire temp?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
What are people doing for cold lbs at the track? I am doing 28 on 70-80's degree days, 29-30 on days over 90.

@ those temps you're running too much pressure...at least for my taste. No kidding, I run 26-27 cold down here in the Texas heat during the summer @ track days on the 2CTs...they grip very well. When I take hot temps, I get pressures of 30-31.

If you're NEVER taking your temps hot, you're doing yourself a BIG disservice. Even more disheartening is the fact that your track day org doesn't ever harp on this fact...

This is the #1 most important newbie rule ever in track riding IMHO. ALWAYS go back and check your tire temps immediately after coming off of the track. Cold temps only give you about 25% of the story.

If you're running 30 psi cold on those tires...you're running upwards of 34-35 psi hot...do you have problems with the back end coming out on you or sliding around at all? I bet you do...

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Sticking with the 2CTs.

With PP's, I ran track pressures of 28 front, 25-26 rear in the Texas heat. 32-30 on the street.

Talking to a tire guy one day, he told me that one method to tell if your pressure is good is to look for a rise of 3psi between your cold and hot pressures. I never used this method, just putting it out there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm probably the oddball here, but I'm running 33/34 F/R in the 2CT's on my 1098. They grip well for me and they don't spin up. I weigh about 230 w/o gear so I'm probably heavier than most of you guys.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Wouldn't you run into issues with cold tear on the pilot race tires on the street thus chewing through tires needlessly? Not to mention taking much longer to warm up your tires on the street than you would otherwise on the track?
You'd have to be running extremely fast on the street, or running extremely low pressures, to witness any of this on the street. For cost reasons, I've run many "race" tires on the street and have no problems getting them nice and warm. I have never had any problems with them not warming up, and I'm no where near as fast as many of the guys that I know, but I can still get them to warm up and booger. I've run several Pirelli Supercorsa Pro SC2 tires without any problems. My wife is currently running a Michelin Pilot Power Race front tire and I have a set of Pirelli Superbike racing slicks on my 748 (one short race on them and I got them for $10 each with LOTS of rubber left).

Last weekend, I was riding with an ex-racing buddy of mine and we were talking about all the people who say you can't run "race" tires on the street. He used to run DOT race tires and slicks without any issues. We were not riding too hard, but I'm attaching a picture of the rear Pirelli Superbike rear tire that is on my 748 and one of a Dunlop Qualifier from one of my wife's bikes for comparison. I have not noticed it being much different than a regular Pirelli Diablo or Michelin Pilot Power for warm-up, handling, and rubber boogers than regular sportbike tires. I even get about the same mileage out of the Supercorsa Pro SC2 tires as I would a regular Diablo (something like 2000 miles to a rear and 2500 to a front....or less).

Here is an interesting article about warming up tires and race tires providing information supplied by Cristoph Knoche, the Racing Manager for Pirelli Tire North America's Motorcycle Division - http://www.sportrider.com/tips/146_0810_how_to_warm_up_new_tires/index.html

Here's an interesting quote from the article...

Finally, there is the aspect of using race tires on the street. Interestingly, Knoche says Pirelli's street and DOT race tires should come up to temperature equally quickly and at no time does the race compound offer less traction than that of the street tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
2ct's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts