Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a couple of MHR questions.

Does the pantah seat fit onto a MHR seat base? The tank is different, will it work?
Is it possible to use a pantah single seat base with a MHR, if so is mounting a hassle?
Is there a source for MK3 fairings? Will a CEV 168 work with it or is MK2 the only option?
If it is can the head-light support be used or is a pre 1982 required.

By way of explanation things got a bit confused modlewise toward the end of 1983.

Rossco

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I fear that the answer to these questions can only be provided by someone who has done the conversion!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply buddy.
Guess I'll have to document the rebuild and post lots of pics then.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I would doubt that the Pantah seat will fit, the MHR is a physically larger frame than the Pantah, BUT I could be wrong....

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is an S2 frame with majority ss electrical ATM.
Not sure if those bits have been changed.
Headlight is not Ducati.
Paint is 82 NCR, early tt2.
Kickstart only, one of the last square case engines.
Frame number is MHR 1983.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Put up a photo so we can see what it is.

I would be surprised if Pantah bodywork fitted but then as Duccout says, who knows. Call Phil Hitchcock at Road and Race he sells both replica parts. Many of us are always up for a "special"so don't hold back.

You've lost me on the headlight. Ducati bevel headlights are pretty much all the same size and just vary by brand and any should fit. After all they're just a spin off of car ones. I use a Cibie Z Beam lense/reflector in an Aprilla bucket and rim and couldn't give a shit if it's been touched by the Ducati factory or not but if you're a collector then the serial numbers become important. I take it your considering using a standard size round CEV headlight but have some issue with fitting it with the fairing and the supports?

As to the MK2 or Mk3 fairing question you will need to look at how both are fitted and I'd suspect they're pretty close. There might be a bit of discussion about this in one of Falloon's books. I'd call Ian Gowanloch, not Gowanloch motorcycles, the bloke who lives down near Tumut. As far as I'm aware he's the one making them and selling them to every one else. Tanks, seat etc included.

Or you could go down to North Coast V Twins and see if Beato has a couple in his storage shed over the road so you could do a comparo.

Is this one of the last SS framed MHRs?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for your comments.
The lights are different diameters.
After 1982 the MHR got the pantah headlight, it is 16in as opposed to the 17in of the ss.
The mk2 fairing has a larger headlight cutout than the mk3/ mille fairing, which had the smaller pantah light.

The 1983 was the first of the mille/s2 frames, the last of the SS ones was 1982.
Don't you think it is interesting that they call them s2 frames even though they made way less s2s than MHRs with that frame?
I have read heaps over the years, written by the usual suspects about how bad the s2 frame was handling wise,
I think I agree with Ducout, that the extra ground clearance is a bonus and the overweight bodywork is the issue.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance, its a jappa import and most of the original gear sadly is missing.
However on the plus side, it is a blank canvas.
Don't think VTs has many bevel parts any more, I can ask the Doc if I get stuck.

Rossco

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hi Rossco,

I would say that MK 3 fairings are definitely available, but why don't you fit an SS fairing? They look great on an MHR and give much better access to the engine. I've got one on my S2 (with the small headlight) and don't notice the gap at all. You can swap the handlebars to the opposite fork legs so that they are fitted upside down, to give a much more comfortable riding position.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah Duccout that's the plan.
Because there is no genuine fairing or light with the bike, I was thinking SS headlight and fairing.
I was thinking NCR MHR shaped single seat. Most people fit an SS seat but I like the shape of NCR.
Genuine MHR colours, like a cross between the Swiss Mille attached below, and the random French '83 which has the single seat on it. Front like Gowies 82.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
There was a bloke selling one piece NCR kits in Melbourne a while ago and he had both seat styles as well. You could do some probing at Black Frank's shop (Eurobrit) and see if they'll tell who made them but don't let them sell you one because it'd be 3 times the price.

Also ask Ian Gowie, he has moulds for a lot of stuff which may include NCR. PM me if you can't find his number.

There's also another bloke wandering around Western NSW with a swag of moulds as well. He pops up on ebay occasionally with Laverda and Ducati stuff. He keeps moving but the last time I noticed him he was in Coonabarabran.

Have you got an SS headlight?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you got an SS headlight?
I do.
Same as the unit on the front of Gowie's '82. I recon that front looks great, dunno about the carbon though.

Thanks Ian I was aware of those suppliers.
What were your dealings with this bloke like? Prices?

Ducati MHR Full Fairing

Mixed reviews on line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts