Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to always feel that the Paul Smart SC was hands-down the best looking Ducati ever made. I always thought the MH900 was cool but in photos it always had too much of a rocket look to it with the shape of the back cowl plus the paint job felt a bit too 70's in its detailing. But yesterday I finally saw one in person and, boy, was I blown away. It's just a stunning bike to behold. The amount of beautifully detailed items is off the chart; the speedometer, the large back x-shaped bracket for the exhaust and the license plate, the brushed metal hexagonal headlight rim, even that strange metal plate on top of the tank. I could - and did - stare for ages at it.

Ultimately, I still think the Paul Smart has a subtle lead in overall design ( the larger overall feel of the PS works for a taller guy like me) but someday I'm gonna really try to get my hands on an MH900. Though getting parts I hear is a pretty big issue.

Anyone else have similar or opposing views on this?

DavidBlunt

·
Registered
262 Posts
LOL, i thought this also about the MH900, the rocket ship look put me off from vids i had seen. But like you when i saw one in person when hunting down my mono i was somewhat captivated by it. Its very racey and no nonsense design are very appealing and nothing else looks like it. I remember thinking at the time it was slightly taller than a PS next to it and if i was going to buy another Duc i would consider the MH900 seriously.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the MH900e in terms of looks; I much prefer the Sport 1000 or Paul Smart.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The MH900E in carbon dream livery is absolutely beautiful. But it looks horrible to ride. I just want one in my living room to stare at. :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
Glad I'm not alone. Same thought went through my head a few months ago as well. Would never give up my SE but tough to justify buying another one, and they are not cheap.

The MH is a stunning bike and agree that she would look great in the living room. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Made me look closer...

Some lovely details. I really like the engine sump/cases and low rad...

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Made me look closer...

Some lovely details. I really like the engine sump/cases and low rad...
I would love to see Ducati produce an MH1100r. They could incorporate all they learned from the MH and SCs and really make a statement with a fully kitted out version with the latest motor.

Dreaming is easy...doing is somewhat less so.

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
The PS is beautiful, but the MH900e is a spaceship from a future that exists only in 1950s comic books, and that's why I love it. Hope to figure out a way to get one some day...

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
There is a 900 in the lobby of ca cycleworks, the pictures do not do it justice. I would not pass up the opportunity to own either bike.

B

·
Registered
387 Posts
I put a deposit on a MHe when they came up for sale.
The 8.5 litre tank and suspension put me off.
For the same money could have got a new 748R.

Sold my reservation (lot of interest, sold quickly).
Don't regret it, but I do keep an eye out for a cheap one.

·
Motorbike Junky
654 Posts
The MH900E in carbon dream livery is absolutely beautiful. But it looks horrible to ride. I just want one in my living room to stare at. :D
My friend's brother actually did exactly that... He said it was beautiful but torture to ride. It's now under glass in his living room!

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I loved the front but hated the tail of MH, although the swing arm is gorgeous!
PS grabbed me the first time I lay eyes on it. Wish I had the means to get one when they came out.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Yup, way better looking in the metal! When I was looking for a SC I had an opportunity for an MH but declined. I like the exhaust under the seat but the whole rear cowl/seat section is the one thing on that bike that is not pretty.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Love 'em or hate 'em or just think they're interesting, the real issue with them is parts as far as I'm told. Most of the bike besides the motor (and some of that chassis?) was tooled just for the MH900, and of course they didn't make many spares so even if you did own this bike, I'm not sure it would be very feasible to expect to use it much. Shame. I love commuting on tricked-out bikes. And as one poster above commented, pictures don't do it justice. The back rocket cowl actually looks far less retro-spacey in real life than pictures seem to show. It seems to be shaped much more to hug the exhaust and tail light rather to form any 50's sci-fi fin shape.

·
Registered
431 Posts
FareWarning:: Nice PS1000. I like the clutch cover, sort of like the one I ordered from MPL. I should have my bike back today, with slipper, rearsets, and tires. Wish me luck in the rain! I'll be trailering it back, so at least I won't be baking road grime on those brand new zards.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts