Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i have to change rubber and would like to try Metzeler Z8 Roadtec's. They seem to be good for milage and wet, without giving up much in the dry! ..

Anyone any exprience with them?

tx

Koen

·
Registered
131 Posts
Used them on my 1100 MTS and swear by them, great all round grip, very confident in the wet and last a good 12 kms. I am heavy so they have been a top tyre. Would consider them as a replacement for the 1200 stockers I have when they are shot.

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Used them on my 1100 MTS and swear by them, great all round grip, very confident in the wet and last a good 12 kms. I am heavy so they have been a top tyre. Would consider them as a replacement for the 1200 stockers I have when they are shot.
tx for the reassurance... look forward to trying them..

Koen

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
759 Posts
If they are anything like the Z6's (I went through 20+ sets of them on different bikes) they are very good in the wet. Not sure if they will have the same flaw as the Z6's, but thought I'd point it out: there are no wear bars in the center of the rear tire, so they go from looking fine to silver cord showing in a few hundred miles. I learned the hard way to just toss them at 4k miles..although all the past bikes were much heavier than the multi. YMMV.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
I've used both on my ST3 and love both of them. Here was a thread where I sort of gave my impression of them.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/116817-new-tires-st3s.html

I really don't ride in the wet enough to judge them but I will say the few times I have both were good enough for my level of bravery. :) The rear Z8 has a totally different profile from the Z6. It doesn't seem to be as bad about suddenly showing cord in the middle like the Z6. THAT was the only complaint I could ever come up with for the 6.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My BMW R1200R came with Z6 tyres and I couldn't get them off quick enough.
Had no feed back at all for me. Gave them to a mate of mine who put them on his Rotex Duel and I witnessed the biggest let go on the rear in the dry. His bike stepped out that much I don't know how he saved it but he did, not for me tyre.
Can't speak for the Z8 but I'm about to look them up on there site. As for milage I don't get much more than 5k to 6k that's km out of any tyre.

I often hear you Americans saying you are getting 10k to 12k miles out of tyres. To me that means you guys are pussing about or it has something to do with your roads that are not as abrasive as ours because most of the guys I know are only getting the same km out of there tyres as I am. :confused:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just looked them up.
There a dual compound tyre.
I've had terrible wear from dual compound tyres especially from the front.
So much so I have been wearing fronts before the rear so I'll give them a miss too.

Just for the record we in Australia pay more than twice the price for the same tyres you do!
Actually we pay twice the price for everything! My Multi was $28,990. Well not quite twice!

·
19,072 Posts
My BMW R1200R came with Z6 tyres and I couldn't get them off quick enough.
Had no feed back at all for me. Gave them to a mate of mine who put them on his Rotex Duel and I witnessed the biggest let go on the rear in the dry. His bike stepped out that much I don't know how he saved it but he did, not for me tyre.
I'll tell you a little secret. The OEM version that came on your bike is totally different in compound and construction than the standard Z6. And yes it is crap. When I wore the rear Z6 out I accidentally bought a OEM replacement version. I had no idea what was wrong but it was a death trap by comparison. I finally looked at the sidewall one day and saw the different markings and construction notes. I took it off and replaced it with a standard version and all was good again. They look the same but they are not.

edit: Here's the post from back when this happened.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/98080-oem-specific-tires-lesson-learned.html

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's a interesting point Duckman.

The thing is that once you have a nasty scare with a brand of tyre one seems to steer well away.

I have had good results from Michelin, Bridgestone and Continentals and they are the brands I seem to stick with.

Thanks for your info, still very scary OME tyre.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I often hear you Americans saying you are getting 10k to 12k miles out of tyres. To me that means you guys are pussing about or it has something to do with your roads that are not as abrasive as ours because most of the guys I know are only getting the same km out of there tyres as I am. :confused:
:rolleyes: I doubt you hear hear Americans 'often' saying they get 10-12k miles out of their tires, as that's ridiculous mileage and I never hear anyone claiming anything near that. Typical mileage of an ST tire here is probably 4-8k, assuming no track days and proper care. Some might get a little more, some a little less, depending on riding style.

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
No way. I see 9,000mi to 11,000mi out of an ST rear tire (Metz Z6, Pirelli Diablo Strada (2), Pirelli Angel ST (2) ).

I do ride year 'round and commute. I think that plays into it.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just to conclude they do have wear bars and are good for 10-12 kms circa 7 to 8 k miles excluding track days.
I have always gone about 2 lbs over recommended tyre pressure without accelerated crown wear. As stated previously found them to be terrific on my 1100S but cant opine on a more powerful 1200.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I do hear of the occasional 9-11k miles here in the US but that is the exception, usually from a lighter bike/rider with lower hp and less aggressive wrist. I'm lucky to get half that amount out of ST tires... And I have Z8's on now and might get 5000-5500 miles out of the rear.

·
19,072 Posts
I do hear of the occasional 9-11k miles here in the US but that is the exception, usually from a lighter bike/rider with lower hp and less aggressive wrist. I'm lucky to get half that amount out of ST tires... And I have Z8's on now and might get 5000-5500 miles out of the rear.
Same here. :(

·
Registered
545 Posts

Hasn't this guy just contradicted you?
So one is your sample size for concluding 'often'? LIke I said, a few may get more based on their riding style (lot of commuting, etc.). It's still extremely rare here in the States to see that kind of mileage from an ST tire. Most riders get about half what he is claiming he gets.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have been using the Z6s and have been pleased with their performance, abet the wear bar issue. The wear that I have been getting is similar to tonered, under similar conditions with less rain; but the front is lasting to about 6k miles while the rear is 8k. Just bought my first Z8 front and have been pleased so far the pattern and the compound seem to be different and now there are wear bars that actually usable. I’m buying them again.

·
Registered
206 Posts
So one is your sample size for concluding 'often'? LIke I said, a few may get more based on their riding style (lot of commuting, etc.). It's still extremely rare here in the States to see that kind of mileage from an ST tire. Most riders get about half what he is claiming he gets.
Here's another and I only went back to page 4.

I will be the odd man out here...I tend to get really good tire wear on every bike I've owned.

I have a little over 7k miles on the stock tires right now and I am sure I can get an easy 1500-2000 more miles before I am out of tread

I have a good mix of commuting and canyon carving but no track days.

One of my last bikes, a ZX-14, was supposed to eat rear tires for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but I got well over 10k miles on the stock tires and I did WAY more than my share of "bahnzii" runs!!
'00 CBR-XX - crashed
'98 VFR800 - sold

1 - 20 of 23 Posts