Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas. i recently did 2 track days at infineon on my 999R with a set of Racetec's-- I absolutely loved the tires, grip was amazing. I'm certainly not the fastest guy out there but I did get the tires pretty greased up. I estimate that I did between 40-50 laps total (100-120 miles), the track got shut down early on the second day, ambulance had to take someone to the hospital(fortunately not a serious injury). I also put maybe 120-150 street highway miles on the tires to and from the track. I'm headed to Thunderhill in early June and was hoping to get one more track day out of these tires. Do you guys think they're still good to go for maybe another 70-100 track miles? I hope so, I love these tires. here's a picture of the rear as it is now. I will take the bike to thunderhill in my truck so they will arrive at the track as they are now. picture is current. thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Track tires worst nightmare is heat cycles, not so much tread wear. I've had tires with no tread left, work better then tires with plenty of tread, but had been heat cycled to death. The street usually doesn't put a heat cycle on the tires, so you're probably totally fine.

That melting rubber look is related to the heat cycle. As you get better, you're tires will look more melted and the faster you go, the more you need to be concerned about these heat cycles.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, can't wait for thunderhill. I'm hooked.

·
Registered
516 Posts
i agree with ti they probally will be fine, but usually when race tires start to go away its not very gradual. perellis, metzlers sister tire are famous for going away very fast.

So i would either bring another set with me or make sure a tire vendor will be at the track.

nothing worse then going to a track day for the weekend and having your tires go away midway through the first day.

are u using tire warmers?? heating them up slowly and alowing them to cool slowly will add a few heat cycles to the life of the tire.

have fun and bring it home safe !!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a very strict policy about race tires - if I am wondering about if they are good or not I change them, period! Do not put your bike and your life in danger for a couple of hundreds of dollars...or for that matter somebody else's life :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
For the last three years I have been running the racetecs and I love them. I can get about 7 to 8 track days out of them. The set that I have now has 6 days on them and they are still fine.

·
Registered
516 Posts
For the last three years I have been running the racetecs and I love them. I can get about 7 to 8 track days out of them. The set that I have now has 6 days on them and they are still fine.

7 OR 8 track days!!!!, damn on a big bike im lucky to get 7 or 8 sessions

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the feedback. I have a new set of Dunlop GP-A's that I will bring with just in case. I'm starting to suspect the Racetec's will be fine as I'm a "B" group rider, just out there to have fun and not worried about my lap times. +1 on how awesome the Racetec's are, I had never been on a track before Infineon and never had DOT race tires before either. you guys all know the difference but until a two weeks ago i didn't. 100% cathartic experience. Can't wait for Thunderhill. All I get to do this weekend is some "boring" canyons on the GSXR & some BT-016's. :(

Shiny side up,

Evan

·
Registered
227 Posts
well...then come over and watch us (AFM) race, it will be a good learning experience for you....I will be in the garage right next to the gas station AFM# 420

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn, I don't know if I can make it up to Thunderhill on those dates. I also have a rigorous waterskiing schedule to keep on Lake Beryessa....;)

I'll check you guys out for sure when you come to Infineon in August, though.

·
9,757 Posts
True dat on whoever said pirelli's go all of a sudden.

The dragon supercorsa is the worst for that. The other day I was hauling ass on them, rubbing boogers off the side and everything. They felt great, then all of a sudden in one turn the rear began stepping out like I had gone over a patch of fine sand. I looked at the tires and they were shiny and greasy albeit sticky to the touch.

After that I got a mild tank slapper (I have a 30mm offset triple on the way, had to dial up the damper in the mean time though) and the bike started squirming a lot more especially in fast downhill sections. I just rode it as was, but I lost a lot of confidence in the rear. The front was ok though.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts