Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Congratulations on the swingarm racerboy. I don't get to visit here very often these days, so these comments may have arrived a little late.

Metmachex swingers are great. Mine is brushed aluminium. I really like the look, but it's probably not the most durable finish, since you're left with raw aluminium.....I guess it depends on how much you like 'patina'. Mine is holding up OK after more than three years, but I only do track days on my bike, so it only ever sees sunshine. See photo - there's some staining on mine where it's hard to remove oily crud and other grime from the brushed finish. Not sure if Metmechex still offer anodising? If so, that's the option I'd recommend, followed by powder coating. I'm going to anodise mine eventually. The polished option sure does look nice, but I got it in my mind that it would be a total chore to keep it looking mint and disappointing if it didn't!

While I really like my Metmachex swingarm, it didn't start that way. There were some problems with it as delivered. All problems could be solved, but for the money paid it was a pain. You can read about it here and here. I suspect my problems were pretty uncommon amongst Metmachex owners. Check all measurements on yours.

Most of the advantages of the Metmachex swingarm have been covered by other posts here, but I'd add that the eccentric chain tension adjusters, in combination with the Ohlins shock give you some additional ways of adjusting rear ride height. I've found this handy. Before removing your old swingarm, make some reference measurements to use as a basis for setting up the Metmachex.

Well and good, but to put my comments in proper context, they're not as strong/rigid as the stock steel swingarms, which is what my comments about "stronger/rigidity" were aimed at. And the Metmachex aluminum swinger is only 1.55 pounds lighter than the stock steel units. Most of that weight is carried at the pivot end, so it's not like there is a savings of 1.55 pounds in unsprung weight.
Has that actually been verified? I'd be hugely surprised if the steel arm had greater rigidity than the Metmachex unit. Based on the material (Al vs steel), plus cross sectional area of the sections used (and their likely wall thickness) I'd expect the Metmachex swingarm to be waaaay stiffer than the steel one. I've never ridden an SS with a steel swingarm, so I have no direct experience with them....just a thought...so happy to eat my hat if it turns out actual experience with both says otherwise. Also, I always thought the chain tension adjusters on the steel swingarms were pretty budget/cheesy, so the Metmachex is a winner there...along with the 1000SS unit. Both would want to be for the $$$!
900SS_Baskerville_20190216_belts_done.jpg

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
.... Has that actually been verified? I'd be hugely surprised if the steel arm had greater rigidity than the Metmachex unit.
No idea. You're free to do torsional comparison tests though! If the stock steel one is somehow "weaker" it's easy enough to add a few ounces of 16ga reinforcement ... just TIG it in. My angle is cost. Is the Metmachex worth it's cost ... return on investment and all of that hoy palloy. I could apply the cost of the Metmachex to a number of other places on the bike and pick up more performance, reliability, and so on. From my point of view, the Metmachex is a luxury item, to be purchased well after many other upgrades have been done first. Head studs, brake lines/pads/rotors, lighter tires, many other things. It's just my opinion.

Also, I always thought the chain tension adjusters on the steel swingarms were pretty budget/cheesy
These help if you can find them. I got lucky and found a NOS set on eBay ... brand new, still in factory packaging. (bottom pic = That's not my bike, by the way).

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
One other thing about the Metmachex .... those chain adjusters ... they'll monkey with the rear end ride height with each different adjustment (which also changes the front end rake and trail) ... just making a guess by looking at images of that system it appears there would be at least a one inch deviation in rear end ride height .. at least. Especially so since they're right at the very very end of the swingin' arm. A one inch change back there equates to roughly 1.5 degrees or more of rake change, and a good half inch of trail. I know for sure that a bike with a 55 inch wheelbase will show a 1 degree rake change for each inch the swingarm's pivot point is moved up or down .... and that's just the pivot point, not the very ass end of the swingarm. Raise the very end of the swingarm and the rake is changed even more. Just sayin'.

Now, whether that matters to one person or another is a totally separate issue.

One man's crap is another man's treasure .... it all comes down to personal preferences, doesn't it!

:giggle:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had contacted Metmachex a couple of years ago. They said that their swingarm was a direct swap for the SP but not compatible with the CR because of wheel width. They did not have a solution as far as spacer so I lost interest.

Anyone have any experience with them for a CR ?
No experience with the swing arm but the 4.5 inch rear wheel from the cr and the 5.5 inch rear from the sp are 100% a direct swap. I would expect the swing arm to be a direct swap for either bike as well.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
One other thing about the Metmachex .... those chain adjusters ... they'll monkey with the rear end ride height with each different adjustment (which also changes the front end rake and trail) ... just making a guess by looking at images of that system it appears there would be at least a one inch deviation in rear end ride height .. at least. Especially so since they're right at the very very end of the swingin' arm. A one inch change back there equates to roughly 1.5 degrees or more of rake change, and a good half inch of trail. I know for sure that a bike with a 55 inch wheelbase will show a 1 degree rake change for each inch the swingarm's pivot point is moved up or down .... and that's just the pivot point, not the very ass end of the swingarm. Raise the very end of the swingarm and the rake is changed even more. Just sayin'.

Now, whether that matters to one person or another is a totally separate issue.

One man's crap is another man's treasure .... it all comes down to personal preferences, doesn't it!

:giggle:

Not as big an adjustment as you may think though, for any practical purpose at least. In reality it's probably moot once you get the bike set up, otherwise every Ducati with a single sided swingarm would have the same problem, which is a LOT of bikes. Once you get the chain tension set within your ride height parameters, it really depends on where you locate the axle and how much the chain stretches that determines what happens with the rest of the geometry.

It's similar in concept to measuring piston speed/acceleration at different locations in the crank stroke. At TDC/BDC piston speed is 0, but at +90 and +270 the piston speed is maxed out.

If you start the axle at BDC and have to move it rearward a few MM to take up chain slack, you're changing more of the wheelbase length than you are ride height. If you start it at +90 then you are changing ride height more than you are wheelbase length. I think most opt to set it up at the lower-rear quadrant as it maximizes both wheelbase length, ride height and provides a measure of chain adjustability.

My 2017 Supersport came from the factory set up in the upper forward quadrant.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Not as big an adjustment as you may think though, for any practical purpose at least. In reality it's probably moot once you get the bike set up, otherwise every Ducati with a single sided swingarm would have the same problem, which is a LOT of bikes. Once you get the chain tension set within your ride height parameters, it really depends on where you locate the axle and how much the chain stretches that determines what happens with the rest of the geometry.

It's similar in concept to measuring piston speed/acceleration at different locations in the crank stroke. At TDC/BDC piston speed is 0, but at +90 and +270 the piston speed is maxed out.

If you start the axle at BDC and have to move it rearward a few MM to take up chain slack, you're changing more of the wheelbase length than you are ride height. If you start it at +90 then you are changing ride height more than you are wheelbase length. I think most opt to set it up at the lower-rear quadrant as it maximizes both wheelbase length, ride height and provides a measure of chain adjustability.

My 2017 Supersport came from the factory set up in the upper forward quadrant.
Yea, you're probably right about everything you said. I should stop being negative about all of this and just let everyone enjoy their appreciation for the aluminum swingin arms. Like belter said, they're pretty as fuck. I'm just being a pedantic loud mouth I guess. :)

Enjoy, everyone! Keep trickin' out your bikes!!!!!!

(y)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not as big an adjustment as you may think though, for any practical purpose at least.
Spot on. Pretty negligible effect for most folks with street bikes. As psyopper said, if starting from a BDC alignment, the effect on ride height is minimal over the lifetime of a chain and sprocket set....probably about the same magnitude as the tread depth on a fresh tyre?

I didn't realise Foggy tested a dual sided swingarm back in the day....interesting....looks like they found some pipes in the 888 parts bin.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts