Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
...These Metmachex swingarms are equipped with an eccentric axle adjuster that allows you to make quick easy chain slack adjustments. The axle bolt has a woodruff key installed on the hex head end of the bolt and a flat milled surface on the threaded end of the bolt... This allows the adjuster plates to move simultaneously when making the chain slack adjustment. Simply loosen the axle nut,loosen the four allen bolts on the black eccentric adjuster plates,turn the hex head on the axle bolt to make your chain slack adjustment,tighten and torque the axle nut and four allen bolts and off you go. No more guessing if you've got the rear wheel aligned properly or not.
In my mind this is the very real advantage in that swingarm. Simple and easy to do and the rear wheel is always in perfect alignment with the front sprocket. I use a Profi-CAT laser alignment tool to do this chore on all my bikes and although it seems to be accurate and do the job well it is still a fiddly thing to get the slack set to my satisfaction and the alignment as it should be. The eccentric adjusters are the perfect answer. Adjust the slack to spec and tighten it down. Done.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Metmachex did not have a picture of a 900SS SA that had been powdercoated, but they sent me this one. Looks really nice. I’m definite leaning in that direction now.

Do you think it would be too much contrast with the white frame?

IMG_5756.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Metmachex did not have a picture of a 900SS SA that had been powdercoated, but they sent me this one. Looks really nice. I’m definite leaning in that direction now.

View attachment 954781

Dunno ... you make the call ...... (the second image is something I ~faked up~ real quick).

Attachments

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,250 Posts
In my mind this is the very real advantage in that swingarm. Simple and easy to do and the rear wheel is always in perfect alignment with the front sprocket. Adjust the slack to spec and tighten it down. Done.
And that is exactly why I bought my Metmachex swingarm StraDuc. No more dickin' around,just a quick easy adjustment and done.

I'm a diehard Red frame guy myself Racerboy but I'm kinda liking the way that polished aluminum looks with the White frame. Gotta admit that really does look nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
and for me the polished & the black powder coated both dont work--I like the matte finish best matches everything else on the bike, plus I dont want to have to deal with keeping that thing polished --too much work lol

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
and for me the polished & the black powder coated both dont work--I like the matte finish best matches everything else on the bike, plus I dont want to have to deal with keeping that thing polished --too much work lol
Heard that! I had a Harley that had too much chrome on it. I'd ride it for an hour and spend five hours cleaning it up.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Chrome dont get you home lol

Reactions: grrss

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I like the black SA look so I’m going to go with that. Will post pictures of the SA when it gets here.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I've been thinking about the ~black swingarm~ thing myself.

Rex
Would you call the color of these SA ‘satin black’? Metmachex is asking me if I wanted gloss or satin black and I wanted the color that was on these supersports.

Frank

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I also need to replace tires on this bike. Are most folks running a 180/55/17 rear? I was going to go with the Pilot Power 3s. Bike is at the other house so i can't look to see whats on it now

·
Señor Member
8,202 Posts
I also need to replace tires on this bike. Are most folks running a 180/55/17 rear? I was going to go with the Pilot Power 3s. Bike is at the other house so i can't look to see whats on it now
Last year I replaced my Michelin 180/55/17 with Pirelli Diablo Rosso II’s in 170/60ZR17 on the rear after I noticed rub marks on the left side from either the hugger or, most likely, the chain as the marks were on the ridge between the sidewall and contact surface.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I am running a 170 Dunlop on the rear stock size for my 1991 900SS

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
The 4.5" wheel gets a 160, the 5.5" wheel gets a 180. Do you *need* the 180 with only 70HP? Not for performance reasons, but for some (like me) aesthetically the proportions look better.

Some will say the 180 is slower to transition, but a lot of that depends on the tire profile. Pirellis are "pointy" in the middle and tip in quicker than the rounder profiles on the Dunlop and Michelin street tires.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I used a stock size Michelin on my '92SS. It's lighter and will turn in a little quicker. Don't know if still available.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I just put on a set of Dunlop Q3+ tires with a 180/55 rear but only because that tire isn't offered in the book prescribed 170 size and I like Dunlops. They handle great and I don't see any clearance issues.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Is the stock size 170 or 180. From what I’m reading here, looks like it’s 170

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My 900ss is an early 1991 the manual for my bike says 170 rear

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had contacted Metmachex a couple of years ago. They said that their swingarm was a direct swap for the SP but not compatible with the CR because of wheel width. They did not have a solution as far as spacer so I lost interest.

Anyone have any experience with them for a CR ?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
someone here will have direct experience with swapping a 4.5 for a 5.5. actually, i have a 5.5 in my m400 now that seems to fit just fine. anyway, no difference in fitment afaik.

900ss had 170 std on a 5.5 wheel, whereas the 851 and 888 used the same wheel with a 180. i recall pulling a pirelli 180 off a 900ss rear wheel years ago that the owner swore was oem fitment. he was going the old "ducati fitted whatever they had lying around" rubbish, unaware that the wheels with tyres fitted came from brembo. he was a real pillock, that i remember.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts