Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2014 Monster 1200S, about 13,500mi on the ODO. It's up on maintenance, runs perfect, nothing to speak of. It's a clean bike. The only upgrades are the Termi slip on and race ECU. Everything else is cosmetic.

There is a vibration noise/rattle/something coming from what sounds like the front of the engine when decelerating (below 3500rpm), and when the clutch is pulled in when you rev or when you have the clutch out and in neutral. I do not notice any rattles on idling, I do get an initial metallic rattle when the bike has sat for a while upon initial startup, but I assume that's just a lack of oil distribution, after 2 - 3 seconds it goes away.

The closest thing I can associate a noise to, it sounds like aluminum rattling. When you pull in the Clutch, there's no rattling. When I'm accelerating, I don't hear any noises. It only seems to happen when there's no positive load on the engine.

It's fairly persistent, it sounds like something is loose, but I honestly can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from. It's definitely from the engine area, I've checked all the obvious things tightening, checking for rattles, etc.

Does anyone have any insight as to what could be causing anything like this? It doesn't sound what I'd assume having valve clearance issues would cause, and the bike has been gently ridden.

Thank you

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
When I was but a lad I would take my motorcycle to the local shop where there was an expert to give it a listen and offer me a free opinion of what it might be. Those were the good old days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I was but a lad I would take my motorcycle to the local shop where there was an expert to give it a listen and offer me a free opinion of what it might be. Those were the good old days.
Free, those are the good ol' days, when a soda was 10c and your mom hung the linens on the line to dry in the sun.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts