Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a clutch issue with my 2011 MTS 1200 where the clutch drum holding nut came loose and let the clutch assembly move outwards until it started hitting the inside of the right-side engine case, at which point the clutch couldn't disengage, and I ended up bringing the bike home in a trailer. I discovered what happened when I remove the engine case, and luckily nothing appears to be actually broken, and it looks like all I have to do is retighten the clutch nut. However, when the clutch assembly started hitting the inside of the engine case it ground into it and produced a lot of metal shavings, which I assume to be aluminum. There were metal shavings in the engine oil when I drained it, and scattered throughout the area of the clutch. There were a lot of shavings on the prefilter screen, and presumably in the oil filter. I removed the clutch and cleaned up all the visible shavings in the immediate area and elsewhere, but there is certainly more inside the engine where I can't see them. What would be the best way to flush all of those unwanted metal shavings out?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Keep changing the oil and filter at frequent intervals until the screen has minimal particles. Use an inexpensive oil at 150 mi, 300 mi, etc.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Just run a cheeper oil and change it out 50 miles or so, twice possibly to remove the particles, filter also, hopefully being aluminium its not too abrasive.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I once repaired a Suzuki 2 stroke triple that had a piston seizure and ended up with bits of aluminum all through the engine and trans. Luckily it had a crankcase drain I filled it with diesel and drained it. A lot came out. Did it again, not so much. Then I mixed cheap oil with some diesel because I didn’t feel the diesel kept the particles suspended. More came out. Then I ran it about a mile with cheap oil and drained again. Mostly clean. Must have got most of it because it was fine after that and the owner said there wasn’t much in the oil when he changed it. No matter what you do there are always going to be some catch points for a bit of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts