Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I don’t know why it has to be a wake, or somber. Is that for those living or for those who perished?

In my career l had 3 Airmen die on active duty in my small circle of military life. None of them were the somber type.

They were lively and fun loving and I am certain that is how they would want to be remembered. With laughter and giggles over the good times. And maybe....no certainly, a couple of drinks too. A toast to them and happy memories of them.

I’ve stood in formation and given the report of “Not Present, Sir” before Taps. Had the missing man formation fly overhead and presented a flag to a mourning family.

To a person, all those families wanted to hear were the stories of the good times we shared with their sons or brothers. Your experience may differ but that is mine. As such, I prefer to celebrate their lives and drink a toast in their memory.

It was the way the Raiders did it, and that’s all the more I need know.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I don’t know why it has to be a wake, or somber. Is that for those living or for those who perished?
ok, poor choice of words. i seem to be digging myself deeper here no matter how i try to explain this. best i just allow this discussion to move forward without me. :) as you were ...... [/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Your explanation was fine. My reply was not aimed squarely at what you wrote.

I don’t see why this HAS to be a holiday with a somber mood. It does not. More over no one should tell any of us veterans how it should be celebrated, somberly or otherwise.

If anyone understands the sacrifes involved, it’s us. As veterans, we served to protect the freedoms our country was founded on.

As such, Americans are free to celebrate, Memorial Day in any manner they see fit. That’s what FREEDOM means.

If you personally feel it is a somber and reflective day, honor those that gave all in that manner. Not everyone has that perspective and no one should tell them they have to celebrate the day in any manner other than how they choose.

Those who perished did so to protect that right. I’m sure they would approve people exercising their freedom. They would be mortified if they couldn’t.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,067 Posts
Just some pictures from my last trip to DC. This was May of 2014 on a ride to the ECM. Arlington is a very emotional experience.

Somewhere I have a picture of Audie Murphy’s gravesite but can’t find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
I don't need to be crammed together with a bunch of people who are OK risking other peoples lives so they can be comfortable to celebrate Memorial day... I don't need to socially distance from the people at our cemetery who matter to me on Memorial day... and I don't need other people to see me doing it.
This is really troubling me. I’m trying not to say anything that could get certain parties panties in a wad but this is just so wrong no matter how you look at it.

I don’t know how to do multiple quotes but “how do we show respect?” I think by remembering and teaching our kids how to remember. And not being afraid to call bill shit when people say it’s too dangerous to put flags on the graves of people that gave their lives for us. I’ll stop here.

I remember.

Cancelled celebrations have nothing much to do with Memorial Day IMO ... I don't need to be crammed together with a bunch of people who are OK risking other peoples lives so they can be comfortable to celebrate Memorial day... I don't need to socially distance from the people at our cemetery who matter to me on Memorial day... and I don't need other people to see me doing it so I can have some social 'attendance' award. JMO

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,067 Posts
Hey Dave, since you quoted me I have to say I don’t understand your post. Nothing was said about attending celebrations (sic)? All I was referring to was the common practice of putting small flags on gravesites on this day. Usually done by volunteers from VFW’s and what have you.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Not being American I found it confusing that there were two holidays honouring veterans, we just have November 11, commemorating the end of WW1, and then as the next wars came, veterans of those conflicts as well, but more particularly those who gave their lives. Google tells me Memorial Day is to honour those who died and Veterans Day is for all who served. I think most people enjoy a long weekend in the spring.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
I will do what I always do, spend a while thinking of the people I’ve known who served, and all of those I didn’t know who sacrificed their bodies and lives. They won’t care what I do with the rest of the day. My dad, Marine, WW2 vet, two Purple Hearts, and all my uncles served then. Hell, WW2 , everyone who was healthy served. I even think of my brother in law who went to Vietnam Nam, saw no combat, and yet never goes a day in his life that he doesn’t tell someone all about it. I think for some people, like him, it’s the only worthwhile thing they’ve ever done In their whole life. Still, he served, and did what they needed him to do, right ?

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Flags In at Arlington tomorrow! 624 acres of why you're free....

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
... one little thing i wanted to clear up ... :) yes yes. i know ... i said i was quietly stepping away from my participation in this thread. sue me. :) kidding aside, something hit me this morning that i feel i need to make right.

i'm catholic ... i was raised as a catholic, but i don't actually attend mass these days and haven't for decades (personal reasons, the end). anyhow, even though i'm not what you'd call a practicing catholic, those ways are still deeply embedded in me. that said, when a catholic says "wake" ... that does not bring to mind a somber event, not at all. a cathloic wake is a celebration of the passed person's life, sometimes (most times!) it devolves into a full-on party. so when i said ~wake~ I was not picturing some sad, depressing, ass-draggin-in-the-dirt event .... i was picturing the typical catholic wake. In other words ....

yeee haaa!! :) (I'm kidding here with the yee haaa thing, but you get my point .... i hope).

:)

ok, as you were. :)

:)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I agree Rex, I was raised Catholic as well. Catholic school until 7th grade when I went to a DOD school.

I don’t go to mass, and have not done so in decades. Other than for a number of wakes and funerary mass.

The only wake I remember turning into a full on party was at an Irish Catholic congregation. It was an ass dragging event at first. Then cousins and uncles popped out the booze.

I’ve been to others, mostly with my mom’s side of the family that turn into family reunions.

My thoughts were more along the lines of how Latin American cultures celebrate Dia de los Muertos.

It is celebrated through out South America under various names but the tradition is much the same.

A celebration of life. A party in honor of the dead.

I’m no longer what one would call a party animal. I’m done after a few drinks these days.

So, on this Memorial Day, like many before it, I’ll raise my glass and toast those who made the ultimate sacrifice in the service of our nation.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts