Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
...please don't forget the real reason it exists.

I can't believe some areas aren't going to be placing flags on the graves this weekend. I'll make sure my FIL and his brother have one, they were Seabees in WWII. I hope my dad still gets one, he's 600 miles from me... 馃槩

Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
RACE DAY!

Sometimes I get Memorial Day and Veteran鈥檚 Day mixed up. The Colonel gets pissed when I call and wish him Happy Memorial Day.

Gotta remember to do that Monday. :)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
...please don't forget the real reason it exists.

I can't believe some areas aren't going to be placing flags on the graves this weekend. I'll make sure my FIL and his brother have one, they were Seabees in WWII. I hope my dad still gets one, he's 600 miles from me... 馃槩

my old man served in korea in the early/mid 1950s ... 'nuff said. bomber mechanic, USAF i've got most of him in the hutch, cremated. i think of him pretty much every day, he inspired me to enlist in the same branch nearly 25 years later. i try not to think too deeply about how many have served, been wounded permanently, or died to protect our way of life. it's such an enormous weight if you really allow yourself to think about it all. the debt is so large, the sacrifices so enormous, if you let the ideas of all of that sink in too deeply the weight of it all can become too much to bear. how does one actually show the gratitude? is it even possible?

Premium Member
Duke, Where is your father? If he's near me, I'll put one there.

I have and will always tend my brothers gravesites. As a veteran of 2 campaigns, I always will remember our lost. I am who I am because of what they gave.

You bastards that use the day as an excuse to drink and carry on, FUCK YOURSELVES. Should be a solemn, quiet day spent with family.

Many places are canceling Memorial Day ceremonies because of Covid-19.
This is really troubling me. I鈥檓 trying not to say anything that could get certain parties panties in a wad but this is just so wrong no matter how you look at it.

I don鈥檛 know how to do multiple quotes but 鈥渉ow do we show respect?鈥 I think by remembering and teaching our kids how to remember. And not being afraid to call bill shit when people say it鈥檚 too dangerous to put flags on the graves of people that gave their lives for us. I鈥檒l stop here.

I remember.

Registered
My Great Granddad was soldier in the Spanish American War. My Granddad was a "Battlin' Bastard of Bataan" and was a POW from the surrender of Bataan to the surrender of Japan. My Dad went to Vietnam right after I was born. He spent 26 years in the Army and retired a CSM after the 1st Gulf War. I did 23 years on active duty with the USAF myself.

That's just my direct lineage. I have an Uncle and an Aunt who were active duty Navy. My Uncle was wounded in the Marine Barracks bombing in Beirut. He got the Purple Heart. My cousin also did 23 years in the Air Force, and his brother is still active duty Army. Another cousin is a Marine and another an Army Reservist. The kids of my families next generation are now on active duty....so many of them I can't keep track.

My Father in Law was a career Navy man. He retired a Chief Petty Officer. He passed away in 2017 and is buried at the Sacramento Valley Veterans Cemetery. My oldest son just finished his hitch in the Air Force Reserve. He already wants to go back in....but wants to finish his degree first.

We don't typically gather as a family and celebrate....we more or less just send emails and texts with well wishes and all that. But if we wanted to have a bunch of drinks and carry on....we EARNED the right to do it........sean

Registered
... if we wanted to have a bunch of drinks and carry on....we EARNED the right to do it........sean
... i think coyote was aiming at civilians (non-vets) that only think of this time as something to party about without a single toast or thought given to the ones that made their freedom possible.

Registered
I wasn't necessarily responding to his post. Just making the statement that I, along with the rest of my family have earned the right to celebrate as we see fit.

I'm retired from active duty, but not from service to my country. I still work in aviation operations for the Air Force.

Premium Member
Taken totally out of context. My pal has stated my thoughts. You have every right to do as you see fit. My problem starts and ends when people take for granted what the day really means. I am sorry to be misconstrued. I take Mem Day very seriously. I take Veterans day very seriously.

Part time flag wavers really peeve me. In the end it becomes a game of who can be the most patriotic among a bunch of hypocrits. Rant over.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
My dad was Army Air Corps in WWII. When I was young, he was a member of the American Legion. He was on a "Salute Team". 4 or 5 guys that could still handle a 1903 Springfield loaded with blanks would go to ceremonies at memorial gardens every Memorial Day to fire 3 shot salutes. Usually after a small town mayor or a local War Hero made a few remarks. They would do 3 or 4 during the morning. Then we would have a family cookout in the afteroon.

I would tag along for several years. It was exciting to me, and I got to hang with some neat guys. Most had stories from combat in WWII. These are the guys I grew up around. A guy who got blown out of his tank in North Africa, a guy who was a Marine in the South Pacific and lost a lung on an island there, a guy who was a Scout for Patton's Armor and helped pave the way into Germany (and helped relieve the guys at Bastogne). Another guy who drove a truck in the Red Ball Express. They were all big damn heroes to a 10 or 11 year old kid.

It was easy for me to go military when the time came. But it broke my dad's heart when I went MP in the Army instead of something in the Air Force. :LOL:

Premium Member
A Company 1st of the 11th MP here. First in last out. US Army Europe. Rammstein Germany, Grafenwoehr Germany, Kuwait, Iran and classified locations. Shoot, move, communicate.

Registered
i only did four years active and two years reserve ....

i was on a SPECS team ....

we protected these, no matter where they were we traveled with them, or what was needed to provide the best heavily armed nuclear security available ...

:)

Registered
It was easy for me to go military when the time came. But it broke my dad's heart when I went MP in the Army instead of something in the Air Force. :LOL:
Was the opposite for me. My pops had tried to go Air Force but was told the Air Force was only accepting bachelors at the time. So he went Army.

When I told him I鈥檇 enlisted in the Air Force, all he said was 鈥淎t least you didn鈥檛 go Army鈥

That was when he told me he wanted to go Air Force himself and it just didn鈥檛 work out for him.

I grew up on Army posts all over the place. My pops made Sergeant Major and we moved to Fort Bliss, Texas.

That鈥檚 when I enlisted. El Paso being an Army town, locating an Air Force recruiter was not an easy task. There wasn鈥檛 even a listing for them in the phone book.

I literally called an Army recruiter and asked for the number to the Air Force recruiting office. I was a big hit with the Air Force recruiters when they found that out. Inter service rivalry and all that.

While growing up military exposed me to plenty of professional military, what had the greatest effect on my young mind was reading a book at the post library.

I was 7....maybe 8 when I read the story of Jimmy Doolittle鈥檚 raiders. I knew then that I wanted to be a flyer. I wanted to be an Aircrew member.

I achieved that 8 year olds dream eventually, landing a Boom Operators job aboard the KC-10A in 2002. I already had 15 years in when I made that transition.

I retired at the end of 2010 with over 120 combat missions, 9 deployments to the Middle East.

I did other operations, including the 1st Haitian relief at Guantanamo Bay, drug interdiction support out of Puerto Rico, Space Shuttle support....Hurricane Katrina relief.....and of course, both Gulf Wars.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Was the opposite for me. My pops had tried to go Air Force but was told the Air Force was only accepting bachelors at the time. So he went Army.

When I told him I鈥檇 enlisted in the Air Force, all he said was 鈥淎t least you didn鈥檛 go Army鈥
I wanted to grow up and fly like my dad, until he broke the news to me the pilots don't wear glasses when I was 11 or 12. (I've worn glasses all my life..) :cry:

I followed a friend into the MPs, he wanted to be a cop real bad. I just wanted to get out of Ohio. He went to Ft Riley, Kansas :)eek:) and I went to Germany. I had the better duty station. Heidelberg. US Army HQs Europe. A college town which had never been bombed in WWII. Beautiful place to spend a couple of years. My buddies and I who served there still consider it our second home. I even took my wife back in 2005 for our honeymoon. We stayed at a motorcycle bed and breakfast, so she got to see Heidelberg and all the castles along the Rhine from the back of a bike.

I came home and spent 10 years in the National Guard. I spent more time in the field with them than I did in the active Army. :LOL:

Se帽or Member
I did my four years in the Air Force. I waited till I was 20 to enlist as they were still sending guys to Viet Nam, we already had one brother in the family go, didn't want a second. I was a helicopter crew chief in a Combat Search And Rescue squadron on a helicopter that spent a lot of time in Viet Nam, had acquired quite a number of hours in hostile territory. The senior guys I worked with had also been there crewing these same aircraft and had some horrendous tales to tell. At times I regret not having joined sooner to get some of that action. But as the saying goes, things happen for a reason. When I got out I went to work for Lockheed as a mechanic working on some classified programs that helped those guys in the field do a better, safer, more efficient job.

Attachments

It鈥檚 Memorial Day. You know, those who died.

My Dad. I barely knew him but I have so much respect. And I damn sure wish I鈥檇 made the effort to know him better.

Registered
It鈥檚 Memorial Day. You know, those who died.
... you've made that point twice now. look, just because "we're still alive" doesn't change the fact that these military holidays tend to bring vets together. we talk about our service time, it makes us feel a little closer to those that didn't survive. i'm not sure why you seem to feel that shaming us is somehow positive. i can't speak for other vets, but these holidays feel like a "wake" to me ... like a funeral service of sorts. many of us at the "wake" don't know each other but we all have a few things in common ... our service, our recognition of those that fell, and the sense of grief we feel. at a wake, when you talk to someone often times your own life experiences come into the discussion, then other people begin sharing theirs since they see there is a common connection to everyone in the room.

these kinds of discussions are similar to that setting. sure, we're "supposed" to be honoring the fallen ... well, "talking shop" is how some military members express grief and solidarity with one another ... even though the shop talk may not include direct recognition of the reason we're all together in the first place (that would be Memorial Day).

so just because we may be talking about our own lives, that doesn't mean we're not recognizing the weight of the day. it's how the military family mourns, and how the military family honors those that fell. "here's mud in yer eye, ya lovely bastards."

:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts