Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got home from a ride, plugged into my battery tender then noticed some melted plastic on my heat shield.

It was about 100 degrees yesterday, and I did do quite a spirited run for about 100 miles...

But, still wasn't expecting this to happen:

Sidi Melt.jpg

Any ideas on how to prevent this, or do they make larger heat shields for the 916/996? and or heat shields that cover this bolt head up? It seems like a combo of the bolt head getting to hot and my boot being so close to that exhaust.

Probably one more run like this without some additional shielding and I'll have a 1/2 dollar size hole in my sidi's =(

·
Registered
940 Posts
Stock rearsets have a shield which prevents your boot from contacting the exhaust where your boot melted. Your aftermarket rearsets preclude the use of the stock shield. If the rearsets didn't come with a shield, you're going to have make a shield or go back to stock rearsets.

A quick simple fix would be to wrap the exhaust.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Stock rearsets have a shield which prevents your boot from contacting the exhaust where your boot melted. Your aftermarket rearsets preclude the use of the stock shield. If the rearsets didn't come with a shield, you're going to have make a shield or go back to stock rearsets.

A quick simple fix would be to wrap the exhaust.
Great, thanks for that info... The rear sets I have dont have a shield or anything... they just came as shown, so I will start checking for options now.

RS heel guards
Great, looking at these now, thanks!

Well, it looks like I just need to get new rearsets, as these aftermarkets don't even have a place to attach the heal guards.

Guess I'll wrap for now, and start searching online for rearsets.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I have a few different kinds of heel guards as I use similar rear sets on my 916 era bikes. People say you don’t need them but as you’ve seen, they make s difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CinKo

·
Registered
194 Posts
RS heel guards bolt in between the rear sets and frame tabs.
Oh thanks for the update I just assumed they connected where the stock ones connected.

I have a few different kinds of heel guards as I use similar rear sets on my 916 era bikes. People say you don’t need them but as you’ve seen, they make s difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those look great, you know by chance have a link to where you bought them?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Custom shield would be easy to have made for either application for your boot to not touch the bolt or absorb major heat from the exhaust. To really change those type heat tendencies I had my exhaust on my 1198SP jet-hot coated inside/outside - MAJOR difference. Good luck, that sucks for your boots.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Those look great, you know by chance have a link to where you bought them?
I made them myself but there are lots of decent ones around. Look on eBay. I have a different exhaust heat shield than you have (916SPS and 998R Termignoni have 130mm mounting) so I had to do something a little different and back with a stiffer carbon kevlar weave.

you have the small stock exhaust shield which fits right against the stock rear sets with heel guards. I would look to see the different shield and guard combos that work with that set up you have. If not, you can just make something. I know that I have some basic stuff that would work for you too that I used just as a test fitting before I made something super beefy.

Reactions: CinKo

·
Registered
194 Posts
Custom shield would be easy to have made for either application for your boot to not touch the bolt or absorb major heat from the exhaust. To really change those type heat tendencies I had my exhaust on my 1198SP jet-hot coated inside/outside - MAJOR difference. Good luck, that sucks for your boots.
My exhaust it wrapped from the front back till it terminates just before the rearsets, which I think is also adding to the heat up area right there, as it is its first open surface of steel for heat to begin to dissipate.

Never even heard of jet-hot coating, just checking it out now, looks pretty amazing!

I made them myself but there are lots of decent ones around. Look on eBay. I have a different exhaust heat shield than you have (916SPS and 998R Termignoni have 130mm mounting) so I had to do something a little different and back with a stiffer carbon kevlar weave.

you have the small stock exhaust shield which fits right against the stock rear sets with heel guards. I would look to see the different shield and guard combos that work with that set up you have. If not, you can just make something. I know that I have some basic stuff that would work for you too that I used just as a test fitting before I made something super beefy.
Found them on ebay! Thank you again

·
Registered
109 Posts
My exhaust it wrapped from the front back till it terminates just before the rearsets, which I think is also adding to the heat up area right there, as it is its first open surface of steel for heat to begin to dissipate.

Never even heard of jet-hot coating, just checking it out now, looks pretty amazing!
JHC is the only way to go. I could ride all day without heat issues after I had mine coated. No roasted sack, legs or feet. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JHC is the only way to go. I could ride all day without heat issues after I had mine coated. No roasted sack, legs or feet. You won't regret it.
Sending you a pm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts