Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be more properly posted on the South East regional board, but I just have to sing the praises of this shop.

Many on the ST board are aware of the long-standing nightmare (starting in Nov 05) I've had with the local shop in Jacksonville who performed my ST4s' 6K service and then kept bungling (and re-bungling) efforts to get it running properly. After four trips back to the shop with long waits in between and dwindling patience, I decided to heed the advice of Ducati.ms member 'lenswerks' and visit Melillimoto http://melillimoto.com in Ocala. Why did I wait so damn long! The owner, Sebastian Didato, is a genuinely engaging guy - and a superb Ducati technician. I arrived this morning right after the shop opened at 9 am and he immediately started working on my bike. (Thursdays and Saturdays are work-while-you-wait days at Melillimoto for out of town guys who can't conveniently drop off their bikes - what a great idea!) I was given coffee and invited to hang out in the shop with Seb and his assistant, Dennis (who has 10 Ducs himself), while they worked on my bike. They explained what they were doing as work progressed and pointed out problems and mistakes from previous servicings (some were truly egregious). A couple of hours later, Seb took my bike out for a test ride and then invited me to do the same before he 'put her clothes back on' to ensure I was pleased with the results. Honestly, she now runs BETTER than new and I am one very pleased customer.:D

With all of the horror stories I've read on this board about crappy Ducati service and repair, I am pleased to recommend Melillimoto to anyone. Let me offer this observation: The atmosphere at Melillimoto is very mature and very professional - everyone who works there has some gray hair! I don't say this as a disparagement of younger techs, but these guys have been doing this for quite awhile and, with the high cost of labor these days, I'm happy to pay for the experience. The problem with the Jax shop is that they have several eager young techs, but no 'old hands' to mentor them, QA their work, and teach them attention to detail. (I couldn't help but notice that Sebastian had his belt buckle skewed to one side so as not to mar a customer's fuel tank - attention to detail.)

If you're within a few hours drive or ride from Ocala, Melillimoto is the place to go for Ducati service - period. And, no, I wasn't coerced to write this nor given any special treatment. I'm just a very pleased customer who is happy to recommend high quality service to others who will appreciate it, as well. PM me if you want additional info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
just curious

I have my own little nightmare with my new duc. Are they authorized to do warranty work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
Your kind of post makes me sick.


But only because of envy and depression.

Envy that you have such people available to work on your Duc, depression that I don't. All totaled, the perfect set of feelings to make me barf.


CapnJack52 said:
This might be more properly posted on the South East regional board, but I just have to sing the praises of this shop.

Many on the ST board are aware of the long-standing nightmare (starting in Nov 05) I've had with the local shop in Jacksonville who performed my ST4s' 6K service and then kept bungling (and re-bungling) efforts to get it running properly. After four trips back to the shop with long waits in between and dwindling patience, I decided to heed the advice of Ducati.ms member 'lenswerks' and visit Melillimoto http://melillimoto.com in Ocala. Why did I wait so damn long! The owner, Sebastian Didato, is a genuinely engaging guy - and a superb Ducati technician. I arrived this morning right after the shop opened at 9 am and he immediately started working on my bike. (Thursdays and Saturdays are work-while-you-wait days at Melillimoto for out of town guys who can't conveniently drop off their bikes - what a great idea!) I was given coffee and invited to hang out in the shop with Seb and his assistant, Dennis (who has 10 Ducs himself), while they worked on my bike. They explained what they were doing as work progressed and pointed out problems and mistakes from previous servicings (some were truly egregious). A couple of hours later, Seb took my bike out for a test ride and then invited me to do the same before he 'put her clothes back on' to ensure I was pleased with the results. Honestly, she now runs BETTER than new and I am one very pleased customer.:D

With all of the horror stories I've read on this board about crappy Ducati service and repair, I am pleased to recommend Melillimoto to anyone. Let me offer this observation: The atmosphere at Melillimoto is very mature and very professional - everyone who works there has some gray hair! I don't say this as a disparagement of younger techs, but these guys have been doing this for quite awhile and, with the high cost of labor these days, I'm happy to pay for the experience. The problem with the Jax shop is that they have several eager young techs, but no 'old hands' to mentor them, QA their work, and teach them attention to detail. (I couldn't help but notice that Sebastian had his belt buckle skewed to one side so as not to mar a customer's fuel tank - attention to detail.)

If you're within a few hours drive or ride from Ocala, Melillimoto is the place to go for Ducati service - period. And, no, I wasn't coerced to write this nor given any special treatment. I'm just a very pleased customer who is happy to recommend high quality service to others who will appreciate it, as well. PM me if you want additional info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Warranty Work

bpad1 said:
I have my own little nightmare with my new duc. Are they authorized to do warranty work?
Melillimoto is not an authorized Ducati dealership, so I don't think they can do warranty work. Are you having probs with the Ducati dealer in Longwood (Cycleriders)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
yup!

I have a new 999s with 130 miles on it that went dead and will not start. Cycle Riders of Longwood has had it for nearly 3 weeks and still can't tell me what the problem is [email protected][email protected]@[email protected]##. They simply have not put in the time to figure it out. Everytime i call or stop by the shop, they treat me like I'm bothering them....

I've sent a scathing letter to DNA....but still no response...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
681 Posts
bpad1 said:
I have a new 999s with 130 miles on it that went dead and will not start. Cycle Riders of Longwood has had it for nearly 3 weeks and still can't tell me what the problem is [email protected][email protected]@[email protected]##. They simply have not put in the time to figure it out. Everytime i call or stop by the shop, they treat me like I'm bothering them....

I've sent a scathing letter to DNA....but still no response...
that's because you are bothering them. i feel sorry for you guys who have warranty issues and have to go to longwood ducati. i would rather pay for a competent mechanic to work on my bike properly. good luck with your ordeal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What He Said ...

oneducs said:
that's because you are bothering them. i feel sorry for you guys who have warranty issues and have to go to longwood ducati. i would rather pay for a competent mechanic to work on my bike properly. good luck with your ordeal.
+1 As mentioned in my original post, my ordeal with Cycle Accessories West in Jax went on w-a-a-a-a-y too long. Since I'd already paid them for the 6k service, though, I was determined they were going to make it right. No such luck, I'm afraid. The $130 I spent at Melillimoto was the best money I've spent in a long time. More importantly, the bike now runs beautifully and I'm completely satisfied. I'm curious to see how Ducati NA responds to your 'blast' and what compensation they offer - if any.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Bpad1,

Forget Cycle Riders, they are a disgrace to the Ducati community. Perhaps the new Ducati dealer soon to be opening at Destination Daytona will be of some value for new purchases and warranty work.

I don’t have a trailer, but need to drop off my 999 for consignment to Sebastian. If you would like to split the cost of a trailer rental and go up one weekend I can drive. We could wait until he could schedule you and be there when he opens some Saturday.

Before that, we could check a few things as it may be something simple – unless of course you’ve done that already. I would not mind calling Sebastian for some things to check, but it would be best if you had the bike handy while on the telephone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
capnjack, did they service your bike for 130.00 or did they just do a few repairs. it seems you got a good price.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top