Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Multi 1200s -2013

I have successfully reset oil and Desmo services using Melcodiag . I have done the 37k mile service but the Melcodiag cannot reset it. The app developer is puzzled as well as we cannot understand how suddenly the reset is not working. Nothing has been changed apart from the recent Speed sensor broken wire, now fixed.

Has anybody had a similar issue and how have you managed to reset the service indicator.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Old thread revival...

I'm at the same juncture with the 37k oil service light. Same bike; 2013 GT. I tried a few different versions of Melcodiag. I was able to run a few random tests, reset the warnings, but hitting the oil service reset button does nothing.

Anyone had any luck with it?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I've posted the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Reset was fine at 15k at 30k I can't get it.

t_bare

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've posted the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Reset was fine at 15k at 30k I can't get it.

t_bare
Yeah, I saw that. Was going to hit you up to see if you had any success. @Stavrich had a lot of posts on other forums, as well seeking input. Sounded like he was able to to the 30k Desmo, but not the 37k oil service.

My indy shop (Boulder Motorsports) did the parts of the Desmo that I didn't do and they reset the service indicator, but I don't know what they used.

One thing I noticed late last night was the the license file was blocked. I unblocked it, but haven't had a chance yet to see if it made a difference. Probably need to check the other files, too.

Since I haven't done it before, I'm not sure what to expect. It pulls model, VIN, mileage, etc. I was able to clear errors, do a few random tests (fans, tacho), but clicking on the reset button does nothing. Clicking on the PIN reset button does nothing.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I was able to reset the pin on a buddy's MTS. Try to start it with the PIN and Go to the menu and I'd expect it to ask you for a new one.

t_bare

·
Registered
778 Posts
I tried two different versions of Melcodiag; 1.0.5.9 and the latest. Made sure all the files were unblocked, but still no dice with either. The program does nothing when I click the service reset or the desmo reset. The lights on the OBD connector flash, indicating at least something is being sent. But that's it.

I'll post up if I find anything, but based on others' experiences it doesn't seem promising.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is my summary.

37.5K miles – Unable to clear message with MelcoDiag
Message now more of an annoyance than anything.

45K – Desmo message on. Desmo displays on first then OIL service comes on

45001 - "Oil service" no longer displayed. Only Desmo service displayed.

45.5K Desmo service done. MelcoDiag clears Desmo message.

New issue now which I believe has nothing to do with MelcoDiag. LCD dot matrix display goes blank after switch on.
"Ducati MTS 1200" comes on, then goes off and display stays blank instead of displaying the ride modes.
Pressing the Reset or Down button the Ride modes display appears

52K - Got the usual “OIL service” warning message at around 51400m. I did the service at 51800m and waited to go over the 52000m before clearing the message ( usual countdown messages appearing normally).

52+K Message GONE!! there is no message to clear. After reaching 52000m the message gone on its own.

I am now wondering whether is a cut off point of "overdue" messages...courtesy of Ducati but I doubt it .

Now I am on 55K and waiting for the next message…

·
Registered
778 Posts
This is my summary.

37.5K miles – Unable to clear message with MelcoDiag
Message now more of an annoyance than anything.

45K – Desmo message on. Desmo displays on first then OIL service comes on

45001 - "Oil service" no longer displayed. Only Desmo service displayed.

45.5K Desmo service done. MelcoDiag clears Desmo message.

New issue now which I believe has nothing to do with MelcoDiag. LCD dot matrix display goes blank after switch on.
"Ducati MTS 1200" comes on, then goes off and display stays blank instead of displaying the ride modes.
Pressing the Reset or Down button the Ride modes display appears

52K - Got the usual “OIL service” warning message at around 51400m. I did the service at 51800m and waited to go over the 52000m before clearing the message ( usual countdown messages appearing normally).

52+K Message GONE!! there is no message to clear. After reaching 52000m the message gone on its own.

I am now wondering whether is a cut off point of "overdue" messages...courtesy of Ducati but I doubt it .

Now I am on 55K and waiting for the next message…
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a similar situation with my 2013 Multistrada. I bought it from a dealer who thought they had reset the oil and desmo lights, but had not.

Now with MelcoDiag i can reset the oil light in the moment (click the reset, the ELM thingy lights up, and the oil message dissapears from the screen) but when i cycle the power, it always comes back.
I've purchased a second ELM (now have a 1.5 and a 1.4) and installed all drivers and the latest greatest version of Melcodiag on a second computer...same results.

I'm beginning to think i'm stuck with both my Desmo and Oil service lights forever, or else take it into the local dealer to have them try to reset (at least 125 bucks)

I ordered a third ELM module. Maybe i will start collecting these things.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@isaaczrx - A couple of things that could help.

Are you clearing the message after the service mileage is reached.
Post the issue at JPDiag

How many miles on the bike?

In my case I am still waiting to get to the next service but since my last post I haven't managed to reach 60K due to Covid lockdowns. Waiting to see whether my service message will clear on its own after going over 60K the same way happened at the 52K service interval.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@isaaczrx - A couple of things that could help.

Are you clearing the message after the service mileage is reached.
Post the issue at JPDiag

How many miles on the bike?

In my case I am still waiting to get to the next service but since my last post I haven't managed to reach 60K due to Covid lockdowns. Waiting to see whether my service message will clear on its own after going over 60K the same way happened at the 52K service interval.
I emailed JP directly in response to my license and he is stumped. I will post up over there when i get my third ELM (this one from Lonelec)
the bike has ~14,500 miles on it now.

In the case of the Oil light, yes - its been on since i bought the bike with ~12,000
Desmo is at about -500 so i'm trying to clear that pre-emptively.

Also it sucks that Covid lockdowns prevented you from riding. Over here, they are an enabler. I have friends who rode more last year than any year over the last 10!

Also i have yet to do that continuity test with my 4 pin converter.

Its very weird you can see it WRITE, and its clearing the message in the moment but it doesn't STICK.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I will suggest you try to clear the Desmo after the 15000. I found that doing it before it doesnt always work.

I guess now it displays Desmo Service and then shows Oil Service.

Hopefully after you go over the 15000 miles the Oil Service will go away for good and leaves only the Desmo Service displaying .

Go over the 15000 miles and then try to clear the Desmo ( Click on Desmo Reset first and if doesnt try Service Reset next ). Do not reset before you go over 15100 ~

This Covid really sucks over here - you have to have a good excuse to go out, must be local and God forbid if you get caught out riding with a mate... but its ok for cyclists to ride together and long distances... Hope we be allowed in a few days..

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I was able to reset my Desmo at 15k on my 2013 and on a friend's 2014. However, I have not been able to clear the Desmo service for my 30k service. I have concerns that it may have something to do with the UPMAP and I sure hope I have not disable/deleted it.

t_bare

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was able to reset my Desmo at 15k on my 2013 and on a friend's 2014. However, I have not been able to clear the Desmo service for my 30k service. I have concerns that it may have something to do with the UPMAP and I sure hope I have not disable/deleted it.

t_bare
I have my upmap key and uninstall the map every time before trying to reset the service lights. Very easy to do - plug in the key, turn on the bike, push the left thumbswitch, unplug key, turn off bike.

If you dont have the key, then that would be a real concern.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have the key but I may have ruined it?

t_bare

·
Registered
778 Posts
At some point my 37.5k oil service light cleared. I'm not sure how, exactly when or why. It's 37,518 miles right now. I think I was distracted by the increasingly constant fuel sensor errors. :cautious:

·
Registered
7 Posts

My collection grows!

The Lonelec version has arrived from the UK. I still haven't made it to 15000 miles yet, I need some good weather and a couple good days of riding. I'll probably try this new one before i get to 15k though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts