Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled that cams from my 97 916 and have the flaking issue. Am going to send all rockers in since the bike has over 30k on it. Some rockers look pretty good. One looks pretty bad (Horizontal Intake Left). Funny think is the cams appear to be fine.

I was just planning on putting the original shims back in once I re-install the new rockers and re-measure and adjust. I measured and recorded everything before I took out the cams and rockers. Can I get consensus that this is the right way to do it?

Thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
Using the original shims should be fine. As far as cam wear, I believe the rockers are the higher wearing surface so what you have is normal. The cam rotates over the same small area of the rocker...so the cam can spread the wear over a larger area instead of the small contact patch of the rockers.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Can you take a before and after shots? Good shots :D
don't know about this but looks pretty good?
There's that shop called sigma performance and they swear they have the cure hehe.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Does anyone here have any experience with this rocker vendor ?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
For $2640.00 for all 16 rockers you could buy a whole lot of megacycle rockers. You could buy a couple 996 motors or a few 748 motors for that price. You might even be able to buy a 1098 motor. I would say the super rockers are for desmoquattro lovers with money to burn. I have seriously considered them but talk myself out of it almost immediately.

http://www.electraeon.com/store2.html

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The last rockers I had done were about $95 per rocker.You will likely have to reshim all the valves but the orig. shims should give you a good starting point.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, this is where I am at. To re-surface all the rockers I am looking at $1500 which is more than I really wanted to pay. So what do I do:

1) Pay the 1500 for re-surface of all
2) Try and pick out the ones that show flaking and re-surface
3) Same as above but with stock OEM replacements from Ducati (which I hear are cheaper?)

Not all the rockers are showing flaking. Some look like they have some wear on the surface but have not flaked.

So what would you do? 1, 2, or 3.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
My 2002 748 has eaten a few opening rockers over it's 18k mile life, and not a single closer rocker has shown any significant wear. Because of this, I opted to get all eight opening rockers Megacycled and not touch the closer rockers. I got mine through Nichol's Manufacturing and was given a slight discount for getting the whole set.

I've been sitting on these for the last 3-4 months and finally started to install them into the bike this weekend. I installed the new ones with the pins partially pulled out so I could slide the rocker over and swap shims if they needed it. If the opener shim is too tall, you won't be able to slide the rocker back over, so you'll need to install a smaller shim. If you can slide the rocker over, a quick check will let you know you are in the ballpark. Out of the six I've done, already, I had two opener shims that did not need to be swapped. I've noticed one or two that closed up once I drove the rocker pin into place, so make sure that you double-check the clearance once the pins are pushed in all the way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts