Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was currently doing the valve adjustment on my 1098 and I had a few closers and openers out of spec. I currently don't have that special measuring tool to measure the opening shims and closing shims. The tool I am talking about is attached below. Is this tool really needed? Can I use something similar to it? All I need to due is just measure the thickness of the shims don't I?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
You will need to tool to measure the closing shims, but the shims may have their measurement on them.

You can have your dealer measure them for you. Say the gap reads .7mm and you want .2mm. Record the gap and then have the dealer measure the shim(s) and then purchase the next size up. For example: 2.25mm to a 2.30mm shim with a gap at .7mm and you desire .2mm

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
That's good to know. "Don't trust the size imprinted on a shim."

After all these years I finally purchased the tool for measuring the closer shim. The measured value and the printed value was .05mm off on the shim. I though it was the tool and about pitched it, but chose not to pitch it. Like in the past, I fitted spares until I found the one that was the size that I needed.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
buy the tool.

i used mitutoyo thickness gauges with machined feet for year, still do for 8mm closing and all opening. but years ago i seemed to be getting a lot of inconsistancy when doing jobs, so i bought the tool from mike and it made a huge difference to the consistancy of shim swapping. lately i noticed that the measurements i made were at least 1 size down on what was written on shims, so i had mike send me another and it measures about 0.07mm thicker than the original. which may be due to me using is as a support when i rub them down, dunno.

so use the tool. use only 1 tool, as they may measure differently. don't believe the writing on the shim.

i made a video about 7mm closing shims, which shows that i don't know where the iphone lens is as much as anything.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
well, i work on my own without need for personal contact so i don't know that i will be locked in, and given everything i have to do with bikes is in the factory and if i'm there i might as well be working i doubt i'll stop. dunno how it's going to go yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts