Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 999s is a dedicated track bike. I spent this weekend working with a local suspension guy to get the settings good and the next recommendation was to raise the rear ride height. Fortunatley, after an overnight soak with Liquid Wrench both of the lock nuts came off easy........

So now I'm having a heck of a time measuring the "eye to eye" distance. Is there an easy way to do that without removing the adjuster? The manual says no more than 285 mm "eye to eye", but it seems like it was somewhere near that when I started (though I'm pretty sure it was still at the factory setting (still had the yellow markings aligned on top)).

Also, the manual says no more than 5 threads showing. I'm assuming that is on each side - correct? Right now I've lengthened it out one full turn and have 3 threads (about 5mm) on each side. LT Snyder says do three full turns, so I'm guessing that would take it out around the full 7.5 mm.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump... any suggestions?

thanks

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'll take a stab at it...

When I went ahead and decided to adjust ride height on my S I did notice to that that rear was already at the 285. I did anyway raise it just so slightly to 290. I also dropped in the front forks to 4 lines showing.

For measuring the rod, there is a way to do it described in the Section 8 report. I can't pull it up in a search anymore, but I have a copy here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1epIteFE7i-b0hCWFoyc1RULWlrc0w0VTBpT3ZhQQ

That's how I measured the rod o length on mine: to make it even simpler I used a string to measure the distance and then measure the length of the string

·
Registered
553 Posts
I searched alot on this topic when I was adjusting mine. I started with three threads showing on each end and ended up with 5 threads. Thats where I was told to go however I measured the rod and its longer than 285mm from mid point to mid point of the eyelets. Dont ask how long it was at the 5 threads showing but that will definately get you in the ballpark for rear ride height and swing arm angle. I had to mod the kickstand because this really makes the bike lean over on its sidestand. Track bike only might not matter...

Front forks should be lowered to at least 3 lines showing...4 max if i remember...

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
The manual says no more than 285 mm "eye to eye", .
Is that because there maybe not enough threads holding the rod-end to the adjuster rod? I know the OEM rod ends are fairly short

I used a fabric tape measure (the kind tailors use for clothes) to measure the eye to eye.

I have a CORSE DYNAMICS Ride Height Rod: 749 / 999 that has an adjustment range of 270mm to 315mm eye to eye.

-M

·
Registered
729 Posts
For a track bike, kinda depends on the tire geometry, lines showing in the triples, and rear suspension stiffness compared to your weight and the triple offset. The reason most riders raise the rear and/or drop the front is to effectively reduce trail similar to offset triples, it also slightly changes the center of gravity both to make the bike easier to tip in. The down side of altering the bike geometry to this extreme is it can make the bike twitchy. If you are still running OEM triples switching to 27-30mm is the single most important change you can make to improve handling, especially on a 999. At this point since its dedicated track bike I assume you've had it sprung for your weight, both front and rear. Overly stiff rear springs are the hallmark of Ducati suspension engineers. Personally I would not change the rear height before you check out your most recent adjustments at the track, increasing rear ride height at the track is really easy. As you probably heard many times, only change one thing at a time and document your changes so you can go back.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'll work on it a bit more. I think it is "in the ballpark" for suspension now, so will make some ride height changes and see how it feels this weekend. I think the 5 thread thing is because there is not too much inside the adjusment piece.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts