Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I thought i had made an intro on here but apparently i didnt. I just bought an 06 duc 999s. Myy name is Bryan. 24yrs. Ive been riding dirt bikes on and off since i was about 12. I have always wanted to get a superbike so when I found a good deal locally on a 999s I jumped! I am taking it easy and loving this thing! Done some good twisty riding, not too aggressive in the corners on her yet and I did get her up to 120 on the fwy 2 nights ago. The power delivery on this thing is so good. The grunt reminds me of my CRF! I really love ducatis now and think I am a lifer. Here's a few shots of my bikes. I also have a 91 honda nt650 bike that I am putting together for a race bike because I am hoping to join WERA sometime in the next 12 months.

CRF

Duccy!'

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
You'll love that thing!

Too bad you had to settle for the RED one! :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!
-Don't worry about the "other colors"...we all know RED is the FASTEST COLOR!!
Ciao..

·
comrade moderator
26,763 Posts
One of the cooler screen names I've seen too!

Show us (me!) that Hawk! I raced one of those back in my youth...just after the earth's crust cooled, etc etc etc...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HAHA you don't have to tell me! I love this bike! i ride it every single day! you gotta rip me off the thing! :)

Mini is a friends, we are doing a restore on it.

NT650 is being put together, i am building it from the floor up.

B

·
Registered
797 Posts
999s

Welcome and enjoy!
Sorry about the color, but Red IS the second best, *grin*
I hope you got the "race kit" or it was already installed.
Great bike for sure!! Enjoy....

·
Registered
797 Posts
2006 999s

In north America 2006 the 999S came with a factory supplied race kit. It contained; Termi half exhaust system, 999S racing ECU, air cleaners.

You have to look at the ECU to see if it say "999S racing" that 's what my label says. The exhaust is easy to check, if the cat is no longer there in the forward pipe, and the pipe gives a nice Termi "bark", then most like you got 1/2 system......

I bought my 999S used with 780 miles on it, the original owner had the dealer install this package prior to picking up the bike.

Mine runs perfect, as I've always been a fan of using PCIII's and having maps burned on the dyno for my special projects over the years, but the way my 999S runs presently I'm not touching the tune of it.........

·
Registered
180 Posts
Congrats!! Nice looking color ;-) Where you from?

Enjoy the bike and ride safe!!!

-Chris

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In north America 2006 the 999S came with a factory supplied race kit. It contained; Termi half exhaust system, 999S racing ECU, air cleaners.

You have to look at the ECU to see if it say "999S racing" that 's what my label says. The exhaust is easy to check, if the cat is no longer there in the forward pipe, and the pipe gives a nice Termi "bark", then most like you got 1/2 system......

I bought my 999S used with 780 miles on it, the original owner had the dealer install this package prior to picking up the bike.

Mine runs perfect, as I've always been a fan of using PCIII's and having maps burned on the dyno for my special projects over the years, but the way my 999S runs presently I'm not touching the tune of it.........
Great! then it allready has all that since i got a spare exhaust with it (stock) and a spare computer. Nice I am glad about that.

I live in Southern Cal by San Diego bro

·
Registered
797 Posts
Great stuff, it's always nice to know that the kit was installed.

One small thing that most do not know about with this vintage/model is that they came with a VERY soft rear spring on the Ohlins shock, if you weigh 125-140lbs suited up and ready to go, you're fine. If not you may want to change it to a stiffer spring. Food for thought.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
FYI.........
The OEM shock spring is a 70 Nm unit. The Section8 recommended unit for a 150- 165 lb rider is the 85 Nm unit. I am 220 lb for which a 100- 110 unit is recommended.

I installed a 90 Nm unit to start with. I get my 15mm/30mm sag numbers from that and find it plenty firm for street riding...........

The OEM front springs are 0.95 kg units and I can't get less than 25mm of free sag with full pre-load dialed in, and I want only 15mm. I do get free-sag +15 mm loaded, so the spring rate looks to be ok, but the pre-load spacers seem a tad short.

YMMV

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Ride it as is for a bit. It's close.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts