Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You've probably read my posts pertaining to my rocker dilemma. I went to the MBP site and found 0 reviews on their rocker replating. If there are any of you fine gents or ladies out there that have used their services for your rockers and have well tested them: miles, years or track, etc., please give me your honest impression. $800 is a lot of money to me, considering I wasn't aware I was going to be shelling it out for this until last weekend.
Thank you in advance.

Spring's Comin'

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have nothing but respect for Guy Martin and have some of his replated rockers in my 996. When I needed the rockers, I didn't have the dough to do them all, just the ones that had already flaked.

It's been a while since I've paid attention to rocker replate threads, and invariably someone will post that they've heard about a replate breaking, or a Megacycle rocker breaking, or a replate flaking.....heard fifth hand from a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy........

If you replace your bad rockers with OEM rockers, they will most likely flake in the future. The best solution is to get an aftermarket replate (like Guy's) or get Megacycle rockers. I went with the MBP replates after doing my research, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Megacycles, it was just my choice.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I agree.

I, oh the other hand chose MCs due to the fact that the possibility of 'flaking' just isn't there as the MCs don't have a plated surface. That, and I didn't have to wait for the MCs as the shop I went to had them in stock.

I also only replaced the rockers that failed. I've had the bike for almost 3 years and have only had to replace 2 openers, both on the vert. head. I do my own valve checks/adjustments so it's not really a big deal to pull the cams and check the rockers for flaking. After you do it enough times you can get it done in a few hours. I usually check mine every 2K miles or so when I change the oil.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mbp

I have the mbp replates in my heads with no prblems at all after 2 seasons. The bike is a track bike and gets run hard. Guy knows his stuff, you can not go wrong with him.

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
not to mention that there are a lot of factors that can lead to flaking rockers - the crappy plating is still there with the stockers, but they'll alllast longer with more attention paid to the valve clearance, good oil, and warming the bike up, and running it at lower revs.

Guy - I have a lot of respect for the guy, he's in quality control in the aircraft industry and know a whole lot about plating specifications and preparation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts