Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have notice that several collet/retainer combinations do not snap into place. They appear settled already when I release the closer rocker which draws the collet over the retainers and the valve to seat.

Does this seem normal?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
just did the install on my ST2. some of them seemed to be seated just by them selves. others needed a snap or two of the closer to seat them. as long as they are seated there is no problem. ask mike if you have any lingering doubts about things. he sells them along with his shim kits

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jbcaddy said:
just did the install on my ST2. some of them seemed to be seated just by them selves. others needed a snap or two of the closer to seat them. as long as they are seated there is no problem. ask mike if you have any lingering doubts about things. he sells them along with his shim kits
That is just the answer I wanted to here. It seems rather obvious when they are seated but I had the same issue as you did. Some snapped into place others just seated themselves.

So onward I go.

Thank You!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
HI Mike,
Make sure you seat the retainers into the closing shim by giving the back of the closing rocker arm a good wack with a wooden dowel. This pushes up on the closing shim, seating the valve in the head and thus seating the retainer in the groove-closer shim. Especially using the MBP retainers with the stock OEM closing shims, the tapered surfaces mate and need to be locked into place. If you dont seat the retainers, they will move on you a bit as they bed themselves in.

Also, if you the retainers are not seating properly (it is very close tolerances with all the other parts) you can tell in that the top of the closing shim is sitting below the top of the valve stem (with the opener shim removed of course). It should be near the same level as the top of the valve stem. Usually just a squeeze on the retainers or a jiggle of the closer shim gets the retainers to fall into place.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts