Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WoW!

the most impressive collection of vintage bikes i have ever seen in one spot. excellent examples from many marques. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and some more snap shots... :D

there were close to 200 bikes, almost all of them rating very high on the "wow" factor.

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos. Wish I could have been there. Beautiful machinery.

John

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I rode through town friday. was bummed to learn about it too late to visit.
do you have a photo of the other side of the AJS? I'm builting up a pushrod AJS 500. trying to give it a bit of the same flavor as the cammers.

thanks for the photos, Jan

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here ya go
jbcaddy said:
I rode through town friday. was bummed to learn about it too late to visit.
do you have a photo of the other side of the AJS? I'm builting up a pushrod AJS 500. trying to give it a bit of the same flavor as the cammers.

thanks for the photos, Jan

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Those are some truly beautiful bikes. Thanks for sharing the pics.

:cool:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got some more shots of that event

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
more

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
check out those wooden wheels! :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how about that red vincent! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
thanks again for all the photos. i will save those of the AJS for sure. this morning I was on Mattole rd. north of Petrolia stopped taking photos. a guy from Utah on an ST4s stopped to say hello to a fellow Duc rider. he had also been to the show. small world

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I too went to the that show. For those who aren't familiar with it, the show was created with the intention of starting a motorcycle show that has the class, the exclusiveness and rarity of the exhibited motorcycles, and setting as the famous Pebble Beach Concours d' Elegance which has been THE place to go for fifty years. ( Meadowbrook would be the Mid West equivalent of Pebble.)

If your core interest is limited to only contemporary Sport bikes, then fuggedaboutit. This was not the place for you. But if the history of industrial design and manufacturing technology as applied to motorcycles attracts you, then this was the place for you to be. Mind boggling eye candy design spread over 100 years of handlebars and smiles.

It was expensive , but over 3,000 people ordered the advance tickets at $50 per, and nearly 2,500 paid $65 at the door. All said.....it was fabulous and it is hard to imagine how they will better it next year, but I will be there.

Best part of the show ? ....sure, the board track racers from the 1920's. All power and speed and simplicity. It is hard to think of them as anything more than a weapon for competition or mobile sculpture.

The most humorous design feature seen ? It might be a toss up between the wooden brake shoes on the (very) early BMW, or the total engine/frame integration of the Thor motorcycle from the teens. The seat post bolted directly onto the vertical cylinder head. For for frame rigidity and heat transfer to rider seat this would be hard to beat !

The most radical ? A chopper using an aircooled radial engine mounted directly in front of the rider, and shaft drive to a gear box ( if I remember correctly). The Boss Hoss approach but with a far better looking engine.

Find a way to attend this next year.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
true that!

:)

bevel450 said:
...For those who aren't familiar with it, the show was created with the intention of starting a motorcycle show that has the class, the exclusiveness and rarity of the exhibited motorcycles, and setting as the famous Pebble Beach Concours d' Elegance which has been THE place to go for fifty years. ( Meadowbrook would be the Mid West equivalent of Pebble.)

If your core interest is limited to only contemporary Sport bikes, then fuggedaboutit. This was not the place for you. But if the history of industrial design and manufacturing technology as applied to motorcycles attracts you, then this was the place for you to be. Mind boggling eye candy design spread over 100 years of handlebars and smiles....Find a way to attend this next year....

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Four Phil's of Chico Riding and Posing Club and respective spouses put on the Ritz and stayed at the hotel Friday and Saturday . The event far exceeded our expectations and the hotel was even worth the money. While the women do not share our total insane passion, there was plenty to amuse them at the hotel and in Half Moon Bay.

The best part was talking to all the exhibitors, their willingness to share stories was my favorite part. The exhibit of historic Brough Superiors and Crockers was pure metal sculpture.

For those bent on celebrity sighting it was like opening day. Jesse James and Sandy Bullock two doors down from our room, Peter Fonda in the elevator, John Parhum (J&P Cycles), Mike Corbin, Alain de Cadenet, Bud Ekins, Greg Allman, etc.

We are already saving up for next year, highly recommended!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts