Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a very good summer this year and I have noticed that my 2007 1000S are running at a higher temperature than my 2006 1000.

The full fairing and the side covers I have made are most likely the reason, but what is the maximum recommended long-term running temperature for the SC bikes?

Tonight when cruising along with 140km/h (87mph) the temperature went all the way up to 110˚C (230˚F) and I have never seen anything close to that on my other SC

Thanks from Costa Del Denmark:grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
172 Posts
My Sport1000 runs about 220*F on a hot day. I don't have any fairings at all. GT1000 usually runs a few degrees cooler. But on a 70-80*F day it sits about 190-200*F.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm no expert on the Sport Classic engine in particular, but overall oil temperature of 110°C for such an air cooled engine sounds just fine to me, I would not worry about it (having old Porsche in mind for instance, where the "red line" on the oil temp gauge is at 150°C and normal operating temp is between the 90°C & 120°C range).

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's interesting insight. I was riding my monoposto today in about 70 deg sun for 4 hours. All twisties and I was at a constant 240-250 deg F. My bike flirted with 270 once (it was a 115 degree day and I was riding it flat out for many hours. No problems.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some run hotter or cooler than others. Here in Southern California mine usually stays between 220°F and 240°F after warming up.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Sthor: Love your rendition of the MHR paint and body pieces!

Note that you really need to run 100% synthetic for higher temps. You won't get any coking as the oil heats.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had to replace the oil temp sensor (the "thermistor") on my GT after misreading the torque setting. The new one shows a few degrees higher than the old, so I suspect they may all differ slightly. But both are/were consistent with the weather. If it's C20 outside, a typical reading (new one) is C90-100, depending on engine load; if it's C30 outside the usual riding range rises to C100-110. Speed and gear ratio are also factors. Temperatures can rise at least 10% in traffic. If it's a long hold-up, I find it's better to turn the motor off and restart.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The look without trouble that comes with a mid-80s DUCATI

Sthor: Love your rendition of the MHR paint and body pieces!

Note that you really need to run 100% synthetic for higher temps. You won't get any coking as the oil heats.
Thanks Stick,

I love my 1985 MHR Mille, but it is just not a very practical drive so the Replica, Replica build was a compromise.

The look without trouble that comes with a mid-80s DUCATI:grin2:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems I don't need to worry

It seems I don't need to worry about my 110˚C (230˚F) temperature on my bike, thanks for the inputs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i've seen 900ssie go to 150 in a single track session. 110 is not unusual for a hot day on the road.
The highest temperature of my Paul Smart Racing's engine (stock w/ DP cams + TPO Beast-R) was almost 160°C (on a very hot summer day - from a German's perspective :wink2:).

Then I decided to try a SC Project oil cooler, which now keeps the temperature between 120-130°C.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts