Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Mine or yours?

I should replace them anyway I suppose? For the hundred bucks or whatever, probably a safe bet.
Replace them, unless you have a receipt that says they're new or within a reasonable time frame. It's not worth one letting go to save the cost of a new set of belts!

·
Premium Member
1997 748
230 Posts
I’ve been paying attention to this issue for the past couple of years and I don’t recall in this timeframe (maybe I missed it) a single instance of ‘my belt broke and ruined my engine’. You do see some exploded belts, but as a symptom rather than cause.

This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t change the belts on this bike, you definitely should. My guess is the lack of current belt horror stories is because any belt issue in the past was fixed by better belt manufacturing, and/or more frequent change intervals by worried owners.

So, change em. Bottom line is why run with any uncertainty at all about a consumable item, especially at speed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Holy crap… good thing it’s getting a new slipper….

Automotive tire Gear Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim

·
Registered
1994 900SS CR, 2002 998 Trackbike
440 Posts
I bought my aluminum front fairing stay on ebay:

Fit well on mine, and is easily bendable if it doesn't.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just learned that we had one of these where I work…..
that’s handy!

Blue Electrical wiring Electricity Gas Cylinder

Reactions: chris_f

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Those are pretty awesome. We had one where I worked as well. Just be careful what you put in there....I put the pizza rotors off my 1993 SS in there and it took all the paint off the center carriers. On the plus side, that's when I found out they were steel and not alloy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Clutch parts , before and after.
Not that I’m keeping this one, putting a slipper in it, but will make it easier to sell for sure!
👍🏻
Automotive tire Gear Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim
Automotive tire Textile Font Doily Dishware

Reactions: RobH

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Making good progress.
Clutch re-assembled and bled
Forza exhaust installed
New timing belts
Plugs
Coils good
Oil change
Flushed coolant system
New hose kif

Hopefully starting it in a day or two, thanks to the stupid plastic fuel quick connects.
Second time I’ve broken one in 15 years.

funny side note, I turned the key on and the fuel pump doesn’t grunt. So I hit the kill switch to run and the high beam light came on on the cluster! Lol
Had things a little switched up there for a bit.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
713 Posts
Nice! I should be getting my gas tank back from the painter after Thanksgiving so I am pretty close to first start up in 7 years. Just need to buy a battery then check the TPS. Crossing my fingers nothing blows up!

Reactions: Matteo66

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Ok, got her started today. Needed some coaxing, but here we are.
It’s idling at 900 and sounds kinda bumpy to me. Gonna put it on the GuzziDiag tonight and see what I see.
Any thoughts based on this video?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Put GuzziDiag on it… found the right bike but can’t do anything like read or write, or the co trim which is what I was looking for.
Turns out there a dinky screw in the computer behind the eprom that affects the mixture… moved it a little and the idle came up to 1100 and runs smooth.
Will have to recheck with the tank and air filters on.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts